• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Company I,6th Florida Infantry Regiment

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Did some genealogical research on my mother's side of the family yesterday. They are all from Florida,Alabama and Georgia. Found my grandmother's great grandfather,whose name I did not know before yesterday. Turns out that he served in the 6th Florida Infantry Regiment in the Civil War. Found a picture of his CSA military gravestone online too. He's buried in Florida. His gravestone said he was a private but records I found online yesterday said he enlisted as a Private but mustered out/was discharged as a Sergeant. Preliminary research yesterday on his regiment showed that it was engaged in the Battles of Chickamauga,the Atlanta campaign,Franklin and Nashville. Ordered a copy of his complete service record from The National Archives today.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Got his Military Service Record from the National Archives yesterday. He enlisted on May 15,1862 and mustered in in June 1862 as a Private in Company I,6th Florida Infantry Regiment. He was promoted to Sergeant on March 1,1863. The records show that he got one furlough during his time of service for 25 days beginning on February 20,1864. He was captured at Dallas ,GA on May 28,1864 by troops with the Union 15th Army Corps. He was sent to the Military Prison in Louisville,Kentucky where he arrived on June 6,1864. He was discharged from there on June 7,1864 and sent to Rock Island Barracks,Illinois where he arrived on June 9,1864. He was held captive there until October 31,1864 when he enlisted in the US Army for frontier service. He became what is known as a "galvanized Yankee" and was transferred to an unassigned US Volunteer Infantry Regiment according to the National Park Service Civil War Records. As best as I can determine so far,they were stationed in Colorado and Nebraska Territories for frontier patrols and defense and away from the Civil War engagements. They did not engage their former Confederate comrades in battle. I must admit I had never heard of the term "galvanized" or "galvanized Yankee" within the context of the Civil War before I began this research.

Your newfound allegiance with the CSA is interesting. A lot, if not most, of your fellow Democrats consider them terrorists, traitors and racists. Now you're posting pictures of the offending flag, too. What would Hillary think?

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I just wanted to know what you think of all your political bedfellows who want to erase the contributions your family members made to the nation
I disagree with them. I can see not flying the CSA flag or battle flags at state capitols but the anti-flag folks have gone too far.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
True dat.
Let's back up and start over. I understand where you are coming from. My views on all that are definitely at odds with a great many of my fellow Dems/libs/progressives/whatever. That's nothing new to me. But it's not an issue that effects my vote. There are a number of issues where I differ with them,that doesn't effect my vote

Let's back up and start over. I understand where you are coming from. My views on all that are definitely at odds with a great many of my fellow Dems/libs/progressives/whatever. That's nothing new to me. But it's not an issue that effects my vote. There are a number of issues where I differ with them,that doesn't effect my vote
That explains why you and I are the only ones participating in these threads, no?

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered this book last Friday. Hoping to learn more about my ancestor's service.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Started this book a few days ago. I'm up to mid-1862 in it. My kin enlisted on May 13,1862.
The book has a great account of the Battle of Dallas,GA where my kin was captured on May 28,1864.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Got a unit history of the 6th FLA Inf. at the Hill College Museum yesterday.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Eventually all of the Florida Regiments in the Army Of The Tennessee were consolidated into one Brigade.