• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Company K,18th Texas Infantry Regiment

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
A coupla months ago,my father asked me to do some research on his great-grandfather who was born in Georgia in 1828,lived in Texas most of his life and who my dad thought might have been a Civil War veteran. It only took a few hours to confidently rule that out.

Last Friday I got my dad to give me some documents from some genealogical research that another family member did back in the late 70's. Turns out his great-grandfather had a lot of brothers and sisters. So far,I've determined that 2 of the brothers enlisted and served in Company K,18th Texas Infantry Regiment. After about 6 months,one of them was transferred to the 10th Field Battery,Texas Light Artillery and was later detailed as a wheelwright at the Ordinance Department at Marshall,Texas. The other served in the 18th Texas Infantry Regiment for the duration of the war. Found a picture of him too.

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
A coupla months ago,my father asked me to do some research on his great-grandfather who was born in Georgia in 1828,lived in Texas most of his life and who my dad thought might have been a Civil War veteran. It only took a few hours to confidently rule that out.

Last Friday I got my dad to give me some documents from some genealogical research that another family member did back in the late 70's. Turns out his great-grandfather had a lot of brothers and sisters. So far,I've determined that 2 of the brothers enlisted and served in Company K,18th Texas Infantry Regiment. After about 6 months,one of them was transferred to the 10th Field Battery,Texas Light Artillery and was later detailed as a wheelwright at the Ordinance Department at Marshall,Texas. The other served in the 18th Texas Infantry Regiment for the duration of the war. Found a picture of him too.
I have ancestors that were in Texas during that time as well. One of my newfound "cousins" is doing a lot of research on them right now--a huge family. I haven't started on that branch of the family yet simply because it is sooooo big, but I have several books that part of their history is in. What part of Texas, BD?

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I have ancestors that were in Texas during that time as well. One of my newfound "cousins" is doing a lot of research on them right now--a huge family. I haven't started on that branch of the family yet simply because it is sooooo big, but I have several books that part of their history is in. What part of Texas, BD?
East Texas and my kin on my dad's side had lots of kids going back to the late 1700s.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Got more info on one. He was born in November 1826 and he enlisted on Feb. 23,1864,so he was 37 years old when he enlisted. He enlisted at Camp Rogers,Louisiana. I haven't been able to determine exactly where that was. I'm guessing it was near Shreveport. The 18th Texas Infantry was engaged at Mansfield,LA on April 8,1864 and Pleasant Hill,LA on April 9,1864. He might've "seen the elephant" there with a little over a month's training. The next record I can find shows that he was under arrest in Alexandria,LA in November or December 1864 and was court-martialed for something. Don't know what for. Gonna try to order a copy of the court-martial record from the National Archives.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Was hoping to find more information about the 18th TX Inf or artifacts at the Museum at the Mansfield Battlefield State Park in Louisiana. No luck.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Found a book and Museum that might tell me more about these 2 ancestors' ACW service.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Was hoping to find more information about the 18th TX Inf or artifacts at the Museum at the Mansfield Battlefield State Park in Louisiana. No luck.
Finished reading this book last night:

The land forces action section was mostly about Gen. Taylor(CSA),Gen. Banks(USA),Gen. Mouton(CSA),Gen. Gray's(CSA) Louisiana Brigade and Col. Beard's(CSA) Louisiana Consolidated Crescent Regiment. That part of the book was disappointing to me because the bulk of the Confederate forces were not Louisiana regiments,but they suffered the most casualties at Mansfield and the book was only 144 pages. Not much about the Texas Regiments during the campaign at all.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Got a more detailed unit history of the 18th TX Inf at the Texas Heritage Museum. No artifacts or exhibits there about the 18th.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
After about 6 months,one of them was transferred to the 10th Field Battery,Texas Light Artillery and was later detailed as a wheelwright at the Ordinance Department at Marshall,Texas.
I attended a Civil War Symposium in Jefferson,Texas a coupla weeks ago and got a little information on that Ordinance Depot in Marshall,TX. More to follow hopefully.