• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Democracy under threat worldwide

reason10

Governor
.....and here in the USA.

The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) points to these concerns:

1. attacks on the legitimacy of elections
2. public disinformation campaigns
3. threats to media
4. politicization of the judiciary

The Global State of Democracy 2021 Report Events | International IDEA

Autocracy Is Winning - The Atlantic

Opinion | Democracy is backsliding across the globe. The U.S. is part of the problem. - The Washington Post
DEmocracy DIED on Election Night. The majority of America voted for Trump and the election was stolen from him. America is no longer a Democracy.

And as such, we HARDLY have any business wagging our fingers at other nations when our own elections are illegitimate.

reason10

Governor
I'm still waiting for one trumpie/repub to say they want democracy and not authoritarianism.
Now you all know who will preserve and defend our democracy and who won't.
Considering that Democracy died on Election Night and Joe has been governing like Edited, I'd say your side of the aisle definitely got authoritarianism, for sure.

Me, I prefer the American model, which is a Representative Republic. And that'll come when the House goes back to the GOP in 2022 and Trump wins his third landslide election, (and this time the election will not be stolen from him.)

Your side of the aisle has problems with Democracy, with trusting the vote of the people.

1638458116824.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe in Tulsa

Council Member
Where's the brave repub who will assert they want democracy and not authoritarianism?
Joe in Tulsa maybe?
I want neither.
Pure democracy is mob rule, at the expense of personal freedom.
Authoritarianism enforces strict obedience to authority, especially that of the government, at the expense of personal freedom.
If only we could come up with a system where the people have a voice, but they aren't allowed to use that to strip individual rights from people that may be fewer in number. Maybe someone could make a list of certain inalienable rights that the government is not allowed to infringe on, no matter how many people dislike those rights.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
How can it be "worldwide" when much of the world doesn't have Democracy?

EatTheRich

President
DEmocracy DIED on Election Night. The majority of America voted for Trump and the election was stolen from him. America is no longer a Democracy.

And as such, we HARDLY have any business wagging our fingers at other nations when our own elections are illegitimate.
A majority voted for Biden. In 2016, a majority voted for Clinton and she lost the election. In 2000, a majority voted for Gore and he lost. But the Electoral College isn’t enough of a brake on democracy for you any more … now you insist on giving the victory to your candidate whether he wins the Electoral College or not.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
I want neither.
Pure democracy is mob rule, at the expense of personal freedom.
Authoritarianism enforces strict obedience to authority, especially that of the government, at the expense of personal freedom.
If only we could come up with a system where the people have a voice, but they aren't allowed to use that to strip individual rights from people that may be fewer in number. Maybe someone could make a list of certain inalienable rights that the government is not allowed to infringe on, no matter how many people dislike those rights.
I see you flunked high school civics. We elect representatives to speak for us....which is what a democratic republic is all about. If you don't like your reps or senators or gov or presidents, you vote them out.
But who in god's name wouldn't want to fight to preserve our democracy when the alternative is authoritarianism?

Joe in Tulsa

Council Member
I see you flunked High school civics. We elect representatives to speak for us....which is what a democratic republic is all about. If you don't like your reps or senators or gov or presidents, you vote them out.
But who in god's name wouldn't want to fight to preserve our democracy when the alternative is authoritarianism?
You're attempt at an insult is pathetic and horribly wrong.
You didn't ask if I preferred a democratic republic over authoritarianism, you repeatedly said "democracy". Our democratic republic is supposed to protect individual freedoms from both the mob, and from the government.
Do you support the government mandating experimental treatments on people? I don't, even if a majority of did people want it.
Do you support the government infringing on the right to own and bear certain types of firearms? I don't, even if a majority of people did want it.
Do you support the government regulating/banning or requiring you to use words and speech you find disgusting or wrong? I don't, even if a majority of people did want it.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
You're attempt at an insult is pathetic and horribly wrong.
You didn't ask if I preferred a democratic republic over authoritarianism, you repeatedly said "democracy". Our democratic republic is supposed to protect individual freedoms from both the mob, and from the government.
Do you support the government mandating experimental treatments on people? I don't, even if a majority of did people want it.
Do you support the government infringing on the right to own and bear certain types of firearms? I don't, even if a majority of people did want it.
Do you support the government regulating/banning or requiring you to use words and speech you find disgusting or wrong? I don't, even if a majority of people did want it.
Those are issues and have no bearing on how our democratic govt operates. We elect representatives, etc.
1. Individual freedoms. Your conservative majority SCOTUS is looking to rule to deny women their reproductive freedoms.
2. Guns. You want everyone to have one, even military grade weapons and carry them everywhere they want? Why?
3. Speech is protected unless it threatens or causes harm to others. You know, according to our democratic Constitution.
4. I think you want a dictator who agrees with your positions and the hell with what the majority of Americans want. That's anti-democracy. It's really sad that responses from repubs only confirms the subject of this thread......that democracy is under threat.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Especially with the Thunder Thighs Cartel