• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Department of Education

What would you do with the Department of Education?

• Eliminate it

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Cut or Reduce it

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Increase it

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters

Chris

Council Member
There has been a lot of debate about the Department of Education. What would you do with it?

There is nothing in the Constitution that gives the Federal Government control of the Education system i this nation. Therefore it should be eliminated and all power to do with education should be returned to the states where it rightfully belongs.

Council Member
and we would have a nation that is dumb as rock. Those places that have money would be able to have a quality education system and those who don't would suffer. What most of you people on the right can't understand is because of the dept of ed. states are required to spend the money it gets on education, if we had 50 states that operated as they see fit, a lot of states would sacrifice kids education I believe, for the lower collection of taxes at the local levels.

Not only that but the schools in many states, if left up to local rules, would have subjects that are not allowed now to be taught in the schools.

degsme

Council Member
I'd eliminate it, and I earn a living from education.
And lots who do make that claim eing completely ignorant of what the Dept of Ed dues

So lets

Eliminate School lunches for the poorest kids
Equitization funding for the poorest SDs
Allow Kansas and Texas to claim "Intelligent Design" is a "scientifc theory"
and blind ourselves to any sort of data collection and monitoring of how our schools are doing nationwide

Yeah that's a winnner

The reality is that if we ere to take out the results from the 8% poorest School Districts, US K-12 educational results jump up to #2 in the world - right behind Finland. A nation where teachers are nationally unionized.

http://nces.ed.gov/

degsme

Council Member
There is nothing in the Constitution that gives the Federal Government control of the Education system i this nation.
And Dept of Ed doesn't "control" anything so that's a hollow point

Therefore it should be eliminated and all power to do with education should be returned to the states where it rightfully belongs.
There is no "therfore" since your premise is bogus to start out with The Constitution gives Congress plenary spending power. And Congress thus can fund the DoEd and states can OPT to participate or not.

Since "Red States" are the ones who are the primary beneficiaries of this, and ALREADY have the poorest educational outcomes, this is a formula for basically making the Red States completely non-competitive in the world stage unless they work for Vietnamese child labor rates. Hardly somethign we want to aspire to

Jen

Senator
Education belongs at grass roots level. The more input/ responsibility people have in guiding their own lives/ futures the better things turn out. Education is one place where this can be achieved.

degsme

Council Member
Education belongs at grass roots level. The more input/ responsibility people have in guiding their own lives/ futures the better things turn out. Education is one place where this can be achieved.
Realy? So having Kansas force students that care about becoming scientests, to instead be misguied into being taught that "intelligent Design" is a "theory" rather than just a hypothesis?

Do you really think that the kind of disunity in the nation is improved by teaching a private set of facts? Folks like you are already living in an informational echo chamber that lets you ignore actual rules of logic and reasoning in the name of what you BELIEVE vs. what can be independently falidated.

Not all opinions are equal. And the idea that BumFack Texas' school board is likely to be as well informed on what is and is not science as folks who have spent a lifetime studying the issue and building careers is just nonsensical.

Its like saying that we should vote for Moe for POTUS because Moe has no ideas and thus won't offend anyone.

Its just ignorant.

Go ahead report me. Turn this into another one of your echo chambers.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
those who want to dump the Dept. of Education basically want to privatize education.

in OH, we had to take a charter school to court to get them to disclose how they spent OUR tax dollars.

imagine that....our tax dollars being spent with NO accountablity....and the charter school managers thought that was just fine.

Number_58

I'm one of the deplorables lefty warns you about.
Unless your children go to school in Texas or Kansas...what should it matter to you that "Intelligent Design" is being taught as an alternate theory to Darwinism?

GordonGecko

President
So when Newt talks about Federal money for jobs re-training and education...you'd oppose that?

WhaleBone

Council Member
I found it hard to vote for this reason:
As much as I agree that the Federal Government should be relieved of it's duty as the executor of education in this country, it would be far more reckless and irresponsible to simply eliminate it. I see some folks wanting the States to restore control to the system. I am inclined to lean in this direction, however the potential for multiple interpretations of educational standards opens the door for a lack of continuity. I beleive this would stand to disadvantage those I would hope we all can agree need to be advantaged.
I propose an independent delegation comprised of 3 elected representatives selected from teachers, principles and administration from each state. These selected representatives are sent from each States Board of Education. It is a rotated selection like jury duty. No one individual gets seniority. The purpose is to bring your best to the table for the betterment of the children. Each Sate is then responsible for the funding and implementation of the agreed upon standard concluded by the education committee. They meet formally three times a year

Lapcat

Governor
Leave it up to the individual states to handle the education of their residents. We already have way too much government bureaucracies as it is. How has having a department of education helped educate American children in public schools? It hasn't.

Too many kids are failing and being passed not to hurt their feelings. Too many are being taught to pass a standardized government test and nothing else of benefit. Also, there is too much indoctrination focused on social matters rather than actual reading, writing and math skills needed for the REAL world.

But I digress....(don't get me started...lol)

To begin with the ED does not administer School Lunch program the Agriculture Dept. does

The Education Dept. has been around for 32 years and during the 32 years they have been meddling with local education and doling out funding. Does anybody have any hard stats on the public education performance over the last 32 years? Is the trend improving or deteriorating?

These questions need to be answered honestly before any changes should be considered

GordonGecko

President
Basic point to keep in mind....

As far as I know, EVERY Republican running for President from and since Ronald Reagan has promised their Base that they would "eliminate the Dept. of Education"....not one has done it. Even Dubya with a GOP House and GOP Senate...didn't push the issue.

99.9999%....Romney wins this fall, and even with a GOP House and GOP Senate (the whole dream for the Right)?.....DoEd is still alive and well and functioning into the 2020s and beyond.

degsme

Council Member
Leave it up to the individual states to handle the education of their residents.
And again what this means is that we let places like Kansas punish students that want to learn real science and not be indoctrinated into "Intelligent Design" as being a "theory" rather than the mere "hypothesis" that it is.

Too many kids are failing and being passed not to hurt their feelings
You might want to read up on this before you issue opinions not founded in fact. K-5 curriculum has very little content in it besides Reading and socialization. Writing capabilitie really doesn't develop until early puberty, MATHEMATICAL reasoning (as opposed to arbitrary arithmetic) cannot be conceptualized before puberty - simply because the structures in the brain are not yet developed that can process that information.

So the idea that there should even BE "grades" in K-5 is rather arbitrary and capricious.

You might start at looking at things like Piaget's work. Information and knowledge are not harmful.

degsme

Council Member
I found it hard to vote for this reason:
As much as I agree that the Federal Government should be relieved of it's duty as the executor of education in this country, it would be far more reckless and irresponsible to simply eliminate it. I see some folks wanting the States to restore control to the system. I am inclined to lean in this direction, however the potential for multiple interpretations of educational standards opens the door for a lack of continuity. I beleive this would stand to disadvantage those I would hope we all can agree need to be advantaged.
I propose an independent delegation comprised of 3 elected representatives selected from teachers, principles and administration from each state. These selected representatives are sent from each States Board of Education. It is a rotated selection like jury duty. No one individual gets seniority. The purpose is to bring your best to the table for the betterment of the children. Each Sate is then responsible for the funding and implementation of the agreed upon standard concluded by the education committee. They meet formally three times a year
And the goal here is what? The reality is that the Conservative aka "red states" are the ones that are struggling overall with educational attainment. And the issue really is just one of funding equalization. Because if you eliminate the poorest 8% School Districts in the nation from the educational statistics, the USA's results pop up to #2 in the world.

Its about the money http://www.mckinseyonsociety.com/downloads/reports/Education/Closing_the_talent_gap.pdf

And Red States -because they are less productive than Blue States http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP_per_capita_(nominal) on a per-capita basis, nevermind their backwards taxation systems - just need the welfare from the Blue States to even have a 20th Century education system.

degsme

Council Member
That's not what I said.
No you didn't. But you said that you oppose Federal funding of educational efforts. Jobs Retraining is done by the Dept of Ed and you said you would eliminate that. Were you ignorant of the fact that Jobs Retraining is part of what the Dept of Ed does?