• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

End winner take all in the electoral college and let the true voice of the people be heard.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Exactly. The electoral college just puts the power into a small group of states. Our antiquated system must look so silly from the outside looking in.
LA county have more populations than 43 states...…………………...why do you even post such silly schiff to other libs...……….

now_what

Governor
Supporting Member
LA county have more populations than 43 states...…………………...why do you even post such silly schiff to other libs...……….

And? Americans are Americans. Why should some votes hold more value because of where they choose to live?

I realize that the electoral college is the law of the land. But that doesn’t mean it makes a lot of good sense. It’s a handicap for rural people. But all Americans should be equal.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
And? Americans are Americans. Why should some votes hold more value because of where they choose to live?

I realize that the electoral college is the law of the land. But that doesn’t mean it makes a lot of good sense. It’s a handicap for rural people. But all Americans should be equal.
EC makes all Americans equal...……………..Founding Fathers were some very wise Men...……...other wise 3 states would rule over 47

now_what

Governor
Supporting Member
EC makes all Americans equal...……………..Founding Fathers were some very wise Men...……...other wise 3 states would rule over 47
No it doesn’t. If everybody had a vote worth exactly the same as everyone else’s we would have a popular vote.

The same “wise men” that didn’t think that blacks or women should vote?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
What crap. Over 120 million votes were cast in 2016. What three states have a combined vote count of 50% of that?

middleview

President
Supporting Member

LA county have more populations?

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
unbelievable. so now a few states with extremely close elections are deciding presidential elections and you want to preserve the status of those battleground states at the expense of all else. Democrats in red states and republicans in blue can just stay home.
No, I want to preserve the founders' commitment to balance of power between populous and non-populous states. There is already a bias towards population in the EC (as there is in Congress). I don't have to be a rocket scientist to know why you don't - permanent democratic majority rule, just like the politics that has been so successful in all of the major cities and the democrat controlled states, like New York, Illinois and California that people are currently fleeing at a record pace. LOL!

middleview

President
Supporting Member
No, I want to preserve the founders' commitment to balance of power between populous and non-populous states. There is already a bias towards population in the EC (as there is in Congress). I don't have to be a rocket scientist to know why you don't - permanent democratic majority rule, just like the politics that has been so successful in all of the major cities and the democrat controlled states, like New York, Illinois and California that people are currently fleeing at a record pace. LOL!
The founder's Electoral College was intended to balance slave states vs free states. I have been waiting for you to actually produce anything from the founders talking about an attempt to balance between less or more populated areas.

I left California for Colorado because it was too crowded and too expensive. Not because democrats or republicans were in control. I lived in CA while Reagan was governor. No big change in my life. Somehow your claim that if the president were elected by popular vote that it would result in permanent majority rule...the fact is the EC has little to no impact on our congressional representation.

...you have admitted that the number of people voting would improve. More republicans would vote in California and New York...more democrats would vote in Texas. The EC suppresses the vote in all but the battleground states.

Raoul_Luke

The founder's Electoral College was intended to balance slave states vs free states. I have been waiting for you to actually produce anything from the founders talking about an attempt to balance between less or more populated areas.

I left California for Colorado because it was too crowded and too expensive. Not because democrats or republicans were in control. I lived in CA while Reagan was governor. No big change in my life. Somehow your claim that if the president were elected by popular vote that it would result in permanent majority rule...the fact is the EC has little to no impact on our congressional representation.

...you have admitted that the number of people voting would improve. More republicans would vote in California and New York...more democrats would vote in Texas. The EC suppresses the vote in all but the battleground states.
I keep waiting for you to produce anything from the founders talking about balancing slave states vs free states. Was the Senate ALSO designed to "balance slave states vs free states?" Because it it precisely the same concept (in fact, it is based on exactly the same number as the total representatives and senators). So, in fact, as I pointed out, it is ALREADY biased in favor of population, because each EC member has the same relative power as all of the others, rather than the "upper" chamber giving those extra 100 basically "super" power(s) over the reps in the "lower" chamber But for you that is simply too much fairness granted to the less populous states, isn't it?

And LOL - you lived in CA when Reagan was governor and think that it is precisely the same state now as it was then. That's pretty funny. When you moved out was California losing population? Because they are now:

If you were in the least bit honest, you wouldn't have thrown up that lousy dodge about having lived there in the 70s. But, of course, you aren't.

Where did I ever say the EC has an impact on our congressional representation? The EC quite simply maintains the founders' commitment to protecting the rights of the people from a powerful (popularly elected) majority. Which, lets face it, is why you are on a mission to destroy it.

EatTheRich

President
I keep waiting for you to produce anything from the founders talking about balancing slave states vs free states. Was the Senate ALSO designed to "balance slave states vs free states?" Because it it precisely the same concept (in fact, it is based on exactly the same number as the total representatives and senators). So, in fact, as I pointed out, it is ALREADY biased in favor of population, because each EC member has the same relative power as all of the others, rather than the "upper" chamber giving those extra 100 basically "super" power(s) over the reps in the "lower" chamber But for you that is simply too much fairness granted to the less populous states, isn't it?

And LOL - you lived in CA when Reagan was governor and think that it is precisely the same state now as it was then. That's pretty funny. When you moved out was California losing population? Because they are now:

If you were in the least bit honest, you wouldn't have thrown up that lousy dodge about having lived there in the 70s. But, of course, you aren't.

Where did I ever say the EC has an impact on our congressional representation? The EC quite simply maintains the founders' commitment to protecting the rights of the people from a powerful (popularly elected) majority. Which, lets face it, is why you are on a mission to destroy it.
And by the “rights of the people” you mean the special interests of a privileged minority, right?

middleview

President
Supporting Member

The winner takes all version of the EC isn't what the framers intended. In fact they thought the people (or the legislature or the governor) would pick electors and the electors would vote on the president...is that what you'd like to have? They did not intend for people to cast a vote for president at all.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
California/Texas/New York

Hell, LA county has more people than 43 states (doubt all vote)
How many voters? 3.4 million. 8.4 million votes in Texas in 2016.

8 million dem and 4.5 repub in california...4.5 dem 3.8 repub in NY.

Last edited:

middleview

President
Supporting Member
This desperate call to trash our constitution comes up every time you Dem losers get real about just how shitty your chances are in 2020.

LOL
The call to get rid of the EC has been going on for decades. This is not as the founders designed the EC. THe only reason you defend the EC is because in two elections in the last hundred years a republican couldn't win the popular vote but got the job anyway and that is ok by you. Too bad you repub losers can't win the vote.

No, it is like many other aspects of our electoral system designed to cockblock one hominid one vote forever and ever amen. Just like Citizens United. Started with the founders. Only affluent white males of the aristocracy were granted the "inalienable right" to representation via the vote and the senate wasn't even voted upon, but appointed by an even more select subgroup of the aristocracy.

Fweedumb.

Dems and superdelegates, another fine example, [Unwelcome language removed] the unsubstantial people. Your pedophile child sex trafficking aristocracy's got this.

The call to get rid of the EC has been going on for decades. This is not as the founders designed the EC. THe only reason you defend the EC is because in two elections in the last hundred years a republican couldn't win the popular vote but got the job anyway and that is ok by you. Too bad you repub losers can't win the vote.
Purging voter rolls comes in handy as well.

Raoul_Luke

And by the “rights of the people” you mean the special interests of a privileged minority, right?
Yes, in the US, the minority IS "privileged" as opposed to the minorities in, well, "democracies" where a simple majority rules. Which is why the founders went out of their way to create a system that was not based merely on the 50%+1 can easily cram their agenda down everybody's throats.