• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Eric Cantor on 60 Minutes

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Stahl: But you know, your idol, as I’ve read anyway, was Ronald Reagan. And he compromised.
Cantor: He never compromised his principles.
Stahl: Well, he raised taxes and it was one of his principles not to raise taxes.
Cantor: Well, he — he also cut taxes.
Stahl: But he did compromise —
Cantor: Well I —

At that point, Cantor’s press secretary, off camera, interrupted the interview, yelling that Stahl was lying when she said Reagan raised taxes. As Stahl told “60 Minutes” viewers, “There seemed to be some difficulty accepting the fact that even though Ronald Reagan cut taxes, he also pushed through several tax increases, including one in 1982 during a recession.”
Let’s call “some difficulty” a dramatic understatement.

Unfortunately for Cantor and his press secretary, reality is stubborn. The facts are indisputable: in Ronald Reagan’s first term, he signed off on a series of tax increases — even when unemployment was nearing 11% — and proceeded to raise taxes seven out of the eight years he was in office. The truth is, “no peacetime president has raised taxes so much on so many people” as Reagan.

Watch the video:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2012_01/cantor_cant_handle_the_truth_a034458.php

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
watching the video get interrupted by Cantor's press secretary shouting to stop the revelation of truth......very funny.

GordonGecko

President
Until a few years ago, when all the FACTS of how many times Reagan raised taxes was put before them....I'll bet 90% of the Right believed it too. Actually believed that "Reagan NEVER raised taxes"...just like they believe(d) that "Reagan made massive cuts in spending".

TomFitz

Mayor
These guys are amazing.

I'm really disappointed that Leslie Stahl didn't ask about Boehner, since the concensus seems to be that Cantor is stabbing him in the back every chance he gets.

GordonGecko

President
I had this fight with Lukey (aka HST-L) once....his "explanation"?

"Reagan cut taxes more than he raised them....so even though he signed tax increases, he didn't raise taxes!"

For those not familiar with Orwell....the term is "doublethink".

jammer

Mayor
Reagan raised taxes because that was what was good for the country, never, ever expect anyone in the current republicon cadre to put country before their party

Bo-4

Senator
Lol, what a smarmy, smirky little weasel Eric the Blight is. And it appears that his press secretary is worse yet!

GordonGecko

President
Lol, what a smarmy, smirky little weasel Eric the Blight is. And it appears that his press secretary is worse yet!
$1000 his Press Secretary was one of those guys weaned on Limbaugh's teat in the 80s and 90s who ACTUALLY BELIEVES that "Reagan never raised taxes".

Although I am not a big Reagan fan, he is more of a "statesman" than any of the present politicians on both sides of the spectrum. By statesman I mean he put country before party. He put people before corporations or unions.

Lukey

Senator
Would it have killed Ms. Stahl to also "report" that Reagan later said that the tax increases were the "worst mistake" of his life? Or would that have been too "fair and balanced" for the journolister?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Would it have killed Ms. Stahl to also "report" that Reagan later said that the tax increases were the "worst mistake" of his life? Or would that have been too "fair and balanced" for the journolister?
all 12 of them?

LOL

GordonGecko

President
So you admit they DID happen, Lukey?......something Cantor's flunkie thought was a "lie"?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Although I am not a big Reagan fan, he is more of a "statesman" than any of the present politicians on both sides of the spectrum. By statesman I mean he put country before party. He put people before corporations or unions.
Reagan played one well on TV. he put corporations before people/labor.

fairsheet

Senator
Per Lukey's "reasoning", Obama's been more of a "tax cutter" then Reagan was. I don't remember Lukey ever making mention of that.

degsme

Council Member
Um no - because the POINT was that Reagan compromised.... whether he considered compromise a mistake does not change that Reagan COMPROMISED. and had Reagan NOT compromised, his net popularity would have been even worse than it was.