• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Eric Cantor on 60 Minutes

Saladin2

Senator
Supporting Member
These present day Republican [Unwelcome language removed] have made Reagan into some sort of mythical god...The facts be damned...

fairsheet

Senator
Reagan was of the era prior to Li'l George (no shit!) when our leaders understood that our tax regimes were complex and nuanced tools. We may agree to disagree to a fair-thee-well, as to the efficacy of the Reaganite's efforts to analyze and adjust our regimes to suit actual (then) current circumstances. But, we can't deny that their approach was quite different from that of the Li'l Georgiean Era, during which we bought into the ideological silliness that lower taxes are always better under all circumstances and that therefore there was no need to even make the effort to analyze our regimes.

Many of Reagan's detractors (of which I'm one) are wont to suggest that the fact of Reagan's raising taxes was proof that he shouldn't have cut them in the first place. I'm here to say that I don't KNOW that to be true. It's just as likely that Reagan's initial taxcuts DID have a positive stimulus effect, but that the Reaganites realized that - as they usually do - that stimulus effect had run its course and the taxcuts had turned negative.

Obama hasn't QUITE returned us to a politic where we can consider taxation rationally, but he's getting us there.

GordonGecko

President
Reagan was of the era prior to Li'l George (no shit!) when our leaders understood that our tax regimes were complex and nuanced tools. We may agree to disagree to a fair-thee-well, as to the efficacy of the Reaganite's efforts to analyze and adjust our regimes to suit actual (then) current circumstances. But, we can't deny that their approach was quite different from that of the Li'l Georgiean Era, during which we bought into the ideological silliness that lower taxes are always better under all circumstances and that therefore there was no need to even make the effort to analyze our regimes.

Many of Reagan's detractors (of which I'm one) are wont to suggest that the fact of Reagan's raising taxes was proof that he shouldn't have cut them in the first place. I'm here to say that I don't KNOW that to be true. It's just as likely that Reagan's initial taxcuts DID have a positive stimulus effect, but that the Reaganites realized that - as they usually do - that stimulus effect had run its course and the taxcuts had turned negative.

Obama hasn't QUITE returned us to a politic where we can consider taxation rationally, but he's getting us there.
The post-Reagan "Dubya dynamic" of tax cuts is in effect....that being-

1. Cut taxes to cure a recession.
2. But don't re-raise them later when the recession is over, or it'll cause a new recession.
3. Recessions occur even with tax cuts....so?
4. Repeat Steps 1 and 2.

Final result...you keep cutting and cutting taxes, never re-raise them, and what is the EVENTUAL tax rate going to be???

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Would it have killed Ms. Stahl to also "report" that Reagan later said that the tax increases were the "worst mistake" of his life? Or would that have been too "fair and balanced" for the journolister?
Would it kill you to actually admit that Reagan compromised? His tax cuts went too far and tripled the national debt. The tax increases were a realization of that.

Council Member

wow, this means I don't know what the hell i'm talking about, so I will try to baffle with BS as I have done above, Fairsheet says. Since I am making it up on the fly I should just be taken at my word on my made up bullshit.

Reagan was not a president, he was an actor playing the part written for him by those in top of his party.

NCmusicman

Governor
Cantor was weak in the interview... it was a classic CBS hit job... Stahl acted like she had never seen the movie "Mr Smith Goes To Washington"... in that movie Mr Smith would be the good guy, Eric Cantor.
The fact that Obama is financially destroying the country and Obama has not allowed the Dem controlled Senate to vote on any of Eric Cantor's 15 jobs bills passed in the Republican House was beyond the old news hags ability to think.

Council Member
A job bill to republicans is like making tomato paste a vegetables.

Lets see your bills to create jobs NC. What, too ashamed to put them up there.

fairsheet

Senator
wow, this means I don't know what the hell i'm talking about, so I will try to baffle with BS as I have done above, Fairsheet says. Since I am making it up on the fly I should just be taken at my word on my made up bullshit.

Reagan was not a president, he was an actor playing the part written for him by those in top of his party.
"8's", this is a little "trick" I learned, back during the '08 campaign for the presidency. If you wanna pretty much shut down any thread that involves Reagan, just pen something that hints at a micron's worth of positivity toward's him. It seems to tie just about everyone up in knots!

Friday13

Governor
That's because those 15 bills have nothing to do with jobs. Obama has no magic power over the senate.

degsme

Council Member
They are all on Harry Reid's partisan hack Democrat desk.

ANd not one of them does anything to create jobs. They roll back nonexistant regulations. The increase pollution. None of this creates jobs. Supply Side econo is dead. Its discproven. Is voodoo

middleview

President
Supporting Member
They are all on Harry Reid's partisan hack Democrat desk.
Tell us one "JOBS" bill that has been passed by the House that is being held up by Reid. How does a bill like the Net Neutrality bill create jobs? Cantor and the repubs passed bills paid for by their wealthy contributors and tack on "JOBS" to the title. Allowing more pollution in the way of pesticides and herbicides into rivers and lakes will not create jobs.

GordonGecko

President
ANd not one of them does anything to create jobs. They roll back nonexistant regulations. The increase pollution. None of this creates jobs. Supply Side econo is dead. Its discproven. Is voodoo
Air pollution creates jobs, didn't you know that???

NCmusicman

Governor
The LAST bill that Obama refused had 20,000 immediate Oil Pipeline jobs (leading to estimated 200,000 jobs) and a partnership with Canada.

DEMOCRATS ARE LIARS.