• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Everything we do impacts the globe - even the “green” stuff...not necessarily for the better

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
"But the scale of the installations that would be needed to make a dent in the world’s fossil energy demand would be vast, covering thousands of square kilometers."

I have always said that if they can be made cost effective, energy sources such as solar panels, wind turbines etc. should certainly be used to supplement energy production from oil, natural gas and coal and hydroelectric dams.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
"But the scale of the installations that would be needed to make a dent in the world’s fossil energy demand would be vast, covering thousands of square kilometers."

I have always said that if they can be made cost effective, energy sources such as solar panels, wind turbines etc. should certainly be used to supplement energy production from oil, natural gas and coal and hydroelectric dams.
I don’t disagree at all. I hadn’t considered the additional global heat load caused by large scale solar panel installations though. It’s an interesting facet that we’ll need to work through.

I've thought the same thing... supplement, not replace in general. Solar panels can't produce electricity at night. Wind turbines need wind to produce electricity. The sources you mentioned can all operate 24/7/365. Well, hydroelectric obviously depends on upstream water.