• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Favorite Music

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Addy, when my wife and I lived in New Orleans, we used to go to a bar in a hotel (can't remember the name now but I remembered the guy who sang this song and played the piano. This was around 1967 Jimmy Elledge died in 1969. I thought he had originated this song but I was wrong. It's a Willie Nelson

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Addy, when my wife and I lived in New Orleans, we used to go to a bar in a hotel (can't remember the name now but I remembered the guy who sang this song and played the piano. This was around 1967 Jimmy Elledge died in 1969. I thought he had originated this song but I was wrong. It's a Willie Nelson

I didn't know Willie Nelson did the original, thanks for the info. It always amazes me how Willie Nelson can make almost any song sound great.
Elledge's version, It sounded fair... not that appealing after listening to the some of the others. IMO. Some of these oldies still have the appeal they did back then (the olden days), at least to me they do. :) Here's Willie's version.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I didn't know Willie Nelson did the original, thanks for the info. It always amazes me how Willie Nelson can make almost any song sound great.
Elledge's version, It sounded fair... not that appealing after listening to the some of the others. IMO. Some of these oldies still have the appeal they did back then (the olden days), at least to me they do. :) Here's Willie's version.
Elledge was a better entertainer than a singer. He was as gay as a maypole and really got into the music. At the time, I thought this was his song. He sang it every night, several times. I didn't know he had died until a few years ago when I got curious and looked him up on the net.
When my daughter was born, we pretty much quit hanging out in bars. We took her to her first Mardi Gras when she was two years old, left New Orleans when she was four and only go back about once a year to see family and friends.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Understood, Jack.

It's not surprising the music we grew up with is still being enjoyed even by the younger generation. When visiting/reading on the you tube drop down section, you can see their comments, regarding the oldies.. :cool:
Years from now I wonder if they will be able to say the same.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I think people get more and more nostalgic as they get older. We are blessed with technology that lets us travel back in time and find music we loved in high school and later.
Sometimes I'll think of a few words of a song I liked 40 years ago. I Google the words and find the song. Or the singer of a song.
Or a movie, we can find out which actor or actress was in this or that movie, when we were kids, and go find them, what happened to them, who they married, how many kids they had, when they died, etc. If there is anything you don't know or can't remember, you can find the answer in a minute or two.
The sum of mankind's knowledge is right at the tips of our fingers on our cell phones. And the poor dumb little shitheads in the younger generations use them to play games.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
I agree, Jack... those musical oldies or the pop culture scene from our yesteryears are fun to revisit. Our computer technology these days allows us to do that w/o any hassle.
Here's another oldie... still being played.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I agree, Jack... those musical oldies or the pop culture scene from our yesteryears are fun to revisit. Our computer technology these days allows us to do that w/o any hassle.
Here's another oldie... still being played.

I always liked this song. Didn't this guy used to bed down with Linda Ronstadt?