• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Given a choice of being known as Independent, Democrat, or Republican...

Minotaur

Governor
I think that is accurate on all three counts but one question can establish whether the "New" Independents are actually Independents. Do the new Independent's vote for just one party or all partiy candidates in national elections? From what I have seen in the last few years there are a LOT of republicans hiding out in the Independent party which kind of ruins the whole concept. I think we will no longer be seen as the decider's if this toilet gets clogged with republicans all voting republican and the democrat President wins as I expect. The first election we see where Independents vote one way and the winner is the other party will show how much contamination we have at this point.

Corruptbuddha

Governor
Independents are people who refuse to stand on principles.

Plus they like being part of the crowd that 'decides' every election. At least that's what the media tells them.

After all, the word tomorrow was invented for indecisive people, children and Independents.

(to paraphrase Ivan Turgenev)

GordonGecko

President
Independents are people who refuse to stand on principles.

Plus they like being part of the crowd that 'decides' every election. At least that's what the media tells them.

After all, the word tomorrow was invented for indecisive people, children and Independents.

(to paraphrase Ivan Turgenev)
CB, is a Republican "principle" to be more like Mitt Romney or more like Ron Paul?

Corruptbuddha

Governor
A little of both.

Neither is the paragon of Conservative virtue.

Of course, put Obama and Clinton in a box and you wouldn't get a perfect liberal either.

But in my opinion, an imperfect Conservative is better than a perfect liberal.

Of course, I'd take a Libertarian over both but America isn't smart enough for that.

GordonGecko

President
CB, what if a person favored gay rights, no Drug war, was pro-choice, yet favored smaller government and lower taxes....

why should they be forced to declare themselves a Republican to show that they "stand on principles"???

Bo-4

Senator
The GOP is a tainted brand. I suspect that the House teabaggers and their pal Grover will be their swan song.

Corruptbuddha

Governor
He's a Libertarian with a Conservative lean...or vice versa.

Who's forcing?

Why not fess up to being libertarian?

There's no such thing as an independent.

Corruptbuddha

Governor
Heh....the demise of the GOP has been long predicted by your side.

And they're still here.

As long as big business survives, the GOP will survive.

Bo-4

Senator
Heh....the demise of the GOP has been long predicted by your side.

And they're still here.

As long as big business survives, the GOP will survive.
No doubt CB.. but they've become nothing other than a front for fat cats and the folks have finally figured it out.

When nobody wants to be one anymore.. they can just change their name to the Koch Party.

connieb

Senator
CB, what if a person favored gay rights, no Drug war, was pro-choice, yet favored smaller government and lower taxes....

why should they be forced to declare themselves a Republican to show that they "stand on principles"???

Thank YOU! Good question. I would like to know because while I have lately ended up voting Republican... Bill Clinton was the last democrat I could stomach supporting.... I am never happy with that choice and generally delcare myself "independent".

Mostly tooo - I have to admit - that at least then the Dems and the Reps don't call me for money.

connie

connieb

Senator
He's a Libertarian with a Conservative lean...or vice versa.

Who's forcing?

Why not fess up to being libertarian?

There's no such thing as an independent.
Does that work though in States where you can only vote in your party's primary if you are registered as a Dem or a Rep? By default in many states if you aren't a dem or a rep you are independent if you are not a rep or a dem since you can't vote in any primary anyway.

I am pretty sure when I last registered to vote when I moved the option was Rep, Dem or Independent - and it was a check box. I would otherwise proudly declare myself a Libertarian.

connie

Y'all win one election for pres and you think you have the world locked up for the next 500 years. You need to step back, take a deep breath and smell the coffee Bo.