• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Gone in a moment

justoffal

Senator
Recently I had the pleasure of viewing the National Geographic special entitled ASTEROIDS.....

This is a well presented documentary dealing specifically with a species of Galactic objects known as Earth Crossing meteors or in the case of those that happen to be of some considerable size and speed, Asteroids.

These bits and pieces of leftover catastrophes and collisions number in the hundreds of thousands and have left their signature impact craters on every major celestial object in our cozy little Solar Neighborhood.

From one quarter of a mile wide and up we are looking at a major change in the way life proceeds here on Earth should something fitting that description make an impact anywhere on this planet even in the deepest parts of the oceans. From one mile wide and up it's pretty much lights out and start over and when I say start over I mean not even bacteria will survive. This is a sobering thought.

Asked by the interviewer what he thought of the next possible collision with something that large ( mile wide and up ) an old, war weary Astronomer who serves us better unnamed than named said simply and stoically: " Yes, I think it will happen and when it does it is likely that we will have no warning at all. The first thing you will feel is the trembling of the earth. Following that you will feel a shock wave that will present in the form of a quick blast of hurricane force winds. Very soon after that you will see the blast front rushing up over the Horizon. "

JO

Last edited:

Barbella

Senator
It's almost funny in a tragic, pathetic way how we humans carry on and worry about the stupidest stuff, when BAM! in the blink of an eye, with no warning whatsoever, we can all be wiped out in a few seconds.

We are nothing, ants on a molehill, and our self-importance is a hoot. The only thing, IMHO, that sets us apart from dust motes is faith...faith in a benevolent, all-powerful God....no matter what you call him/her. :)

George Carlin, "The Planet Is Fine" ... We're so self-important. So self-important. Everybody's going to save something now. "Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails." And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. What? Are these fu--ing people kidding me? Save the planet, we don't even know how to take care of ourselves yet. We haven't learned how to care for one another, we're gonna save the fu--ing planet? – George Carlin

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
" The first thing you will feel is the trembling of the earth. Following that you will feel a shock wave that will present in the form of a quick blast of hurricane force winds. Very soon after that you will see the blast front rushing up over the Horizon. "

It will be very much like an atomic bomb blast, just on a much more massive scale and without the radiation. Oh yeah if you are lucky enough to actually live that long to see the blast front you'll have just enough time to kiss your ass goodbye

Sometimes I think the lucky ones will be the ones that perish sooner rather than later as it, if the asteroid is large enough, will affect the entire earth for quite some time, years have been estimated. It will cause massive and rapid global change as well.

If the strike is in the ocean and large enough the resulting tsunamis alone will kill millions.

justoffal

Senator
It's almost funny in a tragic, pathetic way how we humans carry on and worry about the stupidest stuff, when BAM! in the blink of an eye, with no warning whatsoever, we can all be wiped out in a few seconds.

We are nothing, ants on a molehill, and our self-importance is a hoot. The only thing, IMHO, that sets us apart from dust motes is faith...faith in a benevolent, all-powerful God....no matter what you call him/her. :)

George Carlin, "The Planet Is Fine" ... We're so self-important. So self-important. Everybody's going to save something now. "Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails." And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. What? Are these fu--ing people kidding me? Save the planet, we don't even know how to take care of ourselves yet. We haven't learned how to care for one another, we're gonna save the fu--ing planet? – George Carlin

Now is a good time for Atheists to wonder why it hasn't already happened.

justoffal

Senator
" The first thing you will feel is the trembling of the earth. Following that you will feel a shock wave that will present in the form of a quick blast of hurricane force winds. Very soon after that you will see the blast front rushing up over the Horizon. "

It will be very much like an atomic bomb blast, just on a much more massive scale and without the radiation. Oh yeah if you are lucky enough to actually live that long to see the blast front you'll have just enough time to kiss your ass goodbye

Sometimes I think the lucky ones will be the ones that perish sooner rather than later as it, if the asteroid is large enough, will affect the entire earth for quite some time, years have been estimated. It will cause massive and rapid global change as well.

If the strike is in the ocean and large enough the resulting tsunamis alone will kill millions.
I think the part that I found most striking was the idea that there dosen't have to be any kind of warning. Earth Crossing Asteroids don't belong to any legal association and they don't listen to legislators they just zoom forth at thrity thousand MPH and go about their merry way until they hit something and devastate it.

We spend so much time talking about how we would repel one if we had warning but not enough tiime talking about the reality that there may be no warning.

JO

Jen

Senator
I think that the most startling thing for any who survive is the total isolation. If it (whatever "it" is) takes out communication, it will be as if we have suddenly gone blind and deaf. Some of us can remember what it was like before we had the instant worldwide communication we now have, but many more people each day have no memory of that at all. Even for those of us with distant memory of it, that blackout would be a catastrophe.

justoffal

Senator
I think that the most startling thing for any who survive is the total isolation. If it (whatever "it" is) takes out communication, it will be as if we have suddenly gone blind and deaf. Some of us can remember what it was like before we had the instant worldwide communication we now have, but many more people each day have no memory of that at all. Even for those of us with distant memory of it, that blackout would be a catastrophe.
If anyone did manage to survive it is likely that they would exist in stone age conditions or even worse ice age conditions.

GordonGecko

President
Because most of the major asteroidal bombardment took place millions, even billions of years ago?

The really big ones that hit every dozen years have already hit. The "one-in-a-dozen million years" one hit ....65 million years ago.

The smaller ones still hit....Tunguska in the 1900s.

"God" isn't protecting us....Time is. Well back to before the Permian Age.

justoffal

Senator
Because most of the major asteroidal bombardment took place millions, even billions of years ago?

The really big ones that hit every dozen years have already hit. The "one-in-a-dozen million years" one hit ....65 million years ago.

Heh heh heh .....actually that is quite the matter of opinion... You are in no more of a position to say that it is not true than I am to say that it is. Logic dictates that your position is every bit as tenuous as you think mine is....

A real scientist may scoff at the foolish ideas of fundamentalists who cling to literal interpretations but they are far too smart to say " There is no God " or to discount the power of faith....there's simply no gain in it for the honest truth seeker. A real scientist is curious about what actually is not about what he thinks " Is " should be and is always ready to be blown away by what he finds.

Like the expert in the documentary said. The mile wide objects are still out there and we are foolish to think that we have tracked all of them....only a progressive pseudo-scientist would be so arrogant; Which is why he makes the statement that the next mile wide impact will most likely take place without any warning whatsoever.

This brings me back to one of my favorite subjects the intellectual and philosophical positions of preference. I love that subject because in the final analysis even those who sit on high thrones of presumed scientific magnificence ( IE: some of the liberal super-snots who post here ) have to admit that when all is said and done it is preference that finally decides what they will believe and what they will disbelieve.

Last edited:

Boltlady

Mayor
If anyone did manage to survive it is likely that they would exist in stone age conditions or even worse ice age conditions.
Perhaps as it has happened in the distant past?

Some ancient things that have been uncovered have proven to be quite sophisticated. Some of that knowledge may have come down from some isolated pockets of survival.

I remember an old Twilight zone starring Burges Merideth. He wakes up after a nuke blast to find himself on the steps of a library. He is a big believer in books and thinks he can now read in peace until he dies. Then all of a sudden, he trips and drops then steps on his glasses. No reading without those glasses. That is the definition of Hell I think. All those books, and he can't read a one...

fairsheet

Senator
Recently I had the pleasure of viewing the National Geographic special entitled ASTEROIDS.....

This is a well presented documentary dealing specifically with a species of Galactic objects known as Earth Crossing meteors or in the case of those that happen to be of some considerable size and speed, Asteroids.

These bits and pieces of leftover catastrophes and collisions number in the hundreds of thousands and have left their signature impact craters on every major celestial object in our cozy little Solar Neighborhood.

From one quarter of a mile wide and up we are looking at a major change in the way life proceeds here on Earth should something fitting that description make an impact anywhere on this planet even in the deepest parts of the oceans. From one mile wide and up it's pretty much lights out and start over and when I say start over I mean not even bacteria will survive. This is a sobering thought.

Asked by the interviewer what he thought of the next possible collision with something that large ( mile wide and up ) an old, war weary Astronomer who serves us better unnamed than named said simply and stoically: " Yes, I think it will happen and when it does it is likely that we will have no warning at all. The first thing you will feel is the trembling of the earth. Following that you will feel a shock wave that will present in the form of a quick blast of hurricane force winds. Very soon after that you will see the blast front rushing up over the Horizon. "

JO
As we know, there are a variety of conditions necessary for a planet to be life-viable - rocky surface, water, atmosphere, the right temp. range, and that sort of thing.

Earth enjoys another benefit that's lead to more highly evolved life. It's a big one. It's Jupiter. It's said that Jupiter's gravitational field helps protect us from most of the impacts we might otherwise endure.

justoffal

Senator
As we know, there are a variety of conditions necessary for a planet to be life-viable - rocky surface, water, atmosphere, the right temp. range, and that sort of thing.

Earth enjoys another benefit that's lead to more highly evolved life. It's a big one. It's Jupiter. It's said that Jupiter's gravitational field helps protect us from most of the impacts we might otherwise endure.
Yeah.....most of the big stuff was drawn into Jupiter over the eons.

We should have a holiday named after Jupiter...instead all we got was this lousy Saturnalia!

:)

JO

justoffal

Senator
Now listen! What have I told you about flashy things eh? I mean how many times to I have to go over this with you guys?

:) :) :)

Why do you hate God?

Days

Commentator
Perhaps as it has happened in the distant past?

Some ancient things that have been uncovered have proven to be quite sophisticated. Some of that knowledge may have come down from some isolated pockets of survival.
We think of the recent past (10,000 years) as being crude and rudimentary. But if you stop and examine the cut stone block they laid all over the planet in the "stone age" you find that they were definitely advanced beyond our ability to do the same, today.
So if someone did survive a quarter mile wide asteroid wiping out the planet, it wouldn't be like the stone age; it wouldn't be anywhere close to that advanced; it would be more like Noah's Ark; and it really is difficult to see how those people survived on top of a 20,000 foot high mountain. That's above the tree line; what did they do? plant crops?

I remember an old Twilight zone starring Burges Merideth. He wakes up after a nuke blast to find himself on the steps of a library. He is a big believer in books and thinks he can now read in peace until he dies. Then all of a sudden, he trips and drops then steps on his glasses. No reading without those glasses. That is the definition of Hell I think. All those books, and he can't read a one...
Huh, I bet every library has a small stock pile of left behind glasses in a draw somewhere and at least one magnifying glass -

Lol no I don't -not any more than you do. The storm has calmed is why as the Planet has too - which is not to say there cannot be a blip at any time.

Why worry about something we can do nothing about? If we were left we would cope and somewhere along the line begin to re build.

Days

Commentator
Lol no I don't -not any more than you do. The storm has calmed is why as the Planet has too - which is not to say there cannot be a blip at any time.

Why worry about something we can do nothing about? If we were left we would cope and somewhere along the line begin to re build.
There's a great big ol' asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. There's no telling when one of those rocks might fly by us. I can't see any sense in using statistics on such an event; it will happen some day, just one of those strange flukes where paths collide... when it does happen, there's nothing left to ponder or worry about; half the planet will die in their sleep; the other half will probably never see it coming.