• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Good News! State Department IG to probe Biden admin's chaotic Afghanistan withdrawal

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not at all. Biden did do things. Every day. Which doesn’t change the reality in question - the consequences of Trump’s surrender deal were inevitable.
Ah, so he could do things...but didn't. Just....had to happen one way...one way only. Poor Biden. Beholden to the prior...

Bugsy McGurk

President
Ah, so he could do things...but didn't. Just....had to happen one way...one way only. Poor Biden. Beholden to the prior...
Not at all. He did the things he did. But again, the consequences of Trump’s surrender deal were inevitable.

Trump is outraged. He asks how Biden could possibly make a deal with the Taliban?

;-)

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not at all. He did the things he did. But again, the consequences of Trump’s surrender deal were inevitable.

Trump is outraged. He asks how Biden could possibly make a deal with the Taliban?

;-)
What consequences were fully outside of the control of the president of the United States?

Bugsy McGurk

President
What consequences were fully outside of the control of the president of the United States?
The strengthening of the Taliban and the complete collapse of the Afghanistan government and army resulting from the surrender deal.

I take it you agree with Trump when he bashes Biden for making such a deal, no?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
The strengthening of the Taliban and the complete collapse of the Afghanistan government and army resulting from the surrender deal.

I take it you agree with Trump when he bashes Biden for making such a deal, no?
No. I dispute your positioning. Poor military. Poor citizens. Joe helpless. No can do nothing

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
That's if we can trust the state dept. LOL

This is good.

The reviews will focus on the State Department's Special Immigrant Visa program, Afghans processed for refugee admission into the U.S., resettlement of refugees and visa recipients....

Because it will show how the Trump admin/Mike Pompeo screwed with the visa program for Afghanis setting back the Biden's admin. time frame to get things moving.

Ex-Pence official says Trump administration ‘destroyed’ visa system now upending Afghan withdrawal | The Independent

Last edited:

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Still going with the Biden is powerless routine...
Is it possible that Trump's surrender deal cut Biden's options substantially?

Could Biden have ordered a surge of troops to return? Yes. Could he have done that without congressional approval? Yes, but would he have been subject to the same level of acrimony? You bet. Could he have done it without finding us back in combat with the Taliban? Doubtful. Would we have had any part of the Afghan military to work with? Unlikely. Most of them had already surrendered.

What else would have been possible? I have a friend who works for the state department. He says there are over one hundred people currently in Afghanistan with US passports...almost all are dual citizens of Afghan heritage. He is currently in Europe helping to resettle them. He also reiterated what I thought about how the state department even knows they are in country. If they register with the embassy when they arrive...we know. If not...we don't.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible that Trump's surrender deal cut Biden's options substantially?

Could Biden have ordered a surge of troops to return? Yes. Could he have done that without congressional approval? Yes, but would he have been subject to the same level of acrimony? You bet. Could he have done it without finding us back in combat with the Taliban? Doubtful. Would we have had any part of the Afghan military to work with? Unlikely. Most of them had already surrendered.

What else would have been possible? I have a friend who works for the state department. He says there are over one hundred people currently in Afghanistan with US passports...almost all are dual citizens of Afghan heritage. He is currently in Europe helping to resettle them. He also reiterated what I thought about how the state department even knows they are in country. If they register with the embassy when they arrive...we know. If not...we don't.
Well. At least you verbalize options. He could have attempted any number of things to lessen the chaotic withdrawal that the world witnessed. As though some surprise.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Well. At least you verbalize options. He could have attempted any number of things to lessen the chaotic withdrawal that the world witnessed. As though some surprise.
If you believe that the collapse of the Afghan army and governmen was unexpected, both by Trump and BIdent then it stands to reason that Biden was faced with a sudden change in realities in April or May.

Zam-Zam

Senator

I think most reasonable people probably saw our withdrawal as an undignified, poorly planned/poorly executed mess. The only real question is why?

Hopefully, we'll get some clarity on this, unless politics takes over and it becomes an exercise in CYA.

As for all the folks who insist they already have all the answers, the one thing we can be sure of is that they don't. All they have is an agenda.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I think most reasonable people probably saw our withdrawal as an undignified, poorly planned/poorly executed mess. The only real question is why?

Hopefully, we'll get some clarity on this, unless politics takes over and it becomes an exercise in CYA.

As for all the folks who insist they already have all the answers, the one thing we can be sure of is that they don't. All they have is an agenda.
Do you think Trump should have withdrawn 10,000 troops in 2020 or agreed to force the Afghan government to release 5,000 Taliban POWs?

The agreement he signed also stopped all US air support for the Afghan army, but allowed the Taliban to continue to attack the army and in fact kill 3,000 Afghan soldiers.

I think that left BIden with far fewer options.

middleview

President
Supporting Member

Was there an investigation into the disastrous evacuation of South Vietnam? I'd love to know since I was sitting on a US Navy ship off the coast of the country in 1975 and almost had a Huey land on our helo deck...which would have been the same as a kamikaze landing in WWII.