• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

H.R. 582, “Raise the wage act”

Supposn

Council Member
H.R. 582, “Raise the wage act” is a good bill, but opponents of the bill will refrain from mentioning the minimum hourly rate will not be $15 until 7th year after the bill's passage.
In the likely case that it's not passed through and added to our federal statutes, I urge U.S. Congressional members to continue striving and pass a bill that would increase the minimum wage rate by 12.5% of its purchasing power until it attains 125% of its February-1968 purchasing power. Thereafter the rate should be monitored and annually adjusted to retain that purchasing power.

Respectfully, Supposn

Minimum wage should be raised to $15 for adults. But there should remain a lower sub-minimum for teenagers living with their parents. I started working part time jobs as soon as I was able (14) and it was a great deal for a kid. So the incentive to provide that life experience for young people should not be eliminated. But adults working for the current minimum is ridiculous. No one can support themselves on that paltry sum.

As an employer, I always paid my workers well over the minimum and treated them like family. They paid me back with fierce loyalty and performed above expectations. It's a win/win.

Perhaps the myriad of entitlement programs currently on the American menu should be replaced with a universal basic income. Not a living wage but rather a monthly stipend to help raise the standard of living for all Americans, including those who work and contribute to society.