• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Having to mansplain the term Neckbeard

reason10

Governor
https://www.beardbrand.com/blogs/urbanbeardsman/neckbeards

NECKBEARD” AS A PEJORATIVE TERM

It’s worth noting that in its contemporary context, the term neckbeard isn’t explicitly referring to a style of beard.

A quick Google search of neckbeard will take you down a rabbit hole of subreddits, opinion pieces, and “neckbeard cringe” stories. According to Know Your Meme, the term began appearing on the internet in the early 2000s. By the end of the aughts, it had become synonymous with a slew of undesirable personality traits. So much so, that when the Oxford English Dictionary defined the word neckbeard in 2014, they made it clear that it wasn’t something you wanted to be called.

The traits most often attributed to these men (well, most often they’re men) include being socially inept, overweight, and dirty. The belief that they’re smarter than everyone and an affinity for swords, katanas, and video games are frequently cited. And then there are the stories of misogyny, sexism, and well, it’s a deep, dark rabbit-hole that we’ll let you research on your own.

What do any of those things have to do with facial hair?

As neckbeard memes began to populate the internet, one of the shared physical traits of those pictured in said memes were patchy, wispy, velcro-like sprouts of facial hair that congregated on the neck and chin areas. Many of these “neckbeards” wore trilby hats, which led to them being associated with something called “fedora fashion.” If you need a point of reference, the well-known “M’Lady” meme is a good example.

I picked this photo out as a visual model. I don't know this guy. For all I know, he is a family man, a Republican voter, a taxpayer. Then again, maybe not.

1621202718537.png

The Trilby hat completes the ensemble.

Apparently the Trilby hat also goes on girls, as in this Trilby Girl.

1621202883139.png

Yes I know. Men wore long hair in the Sixties, bell bottom jeans, tie dyed shirts, and everybody freaked out. I was part of that generation.
Now it's my turn to point the finger.