• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Here's Some Big Cuts We Can ALL Agree On

fairsheet

Senator
Thanks for the link! But are you sure there haven't been COLAs since 2007? That's the date of your link...I dun't know.
Hah!..I'm afraid that finding and posting the link was the extent of my knowledge around this one! I'm going to quit while I'm ahead (or behind).

IrishOne

Mayor
Some people can't - they are too busy providing for their family with min wage jobs and don't make enough (or barely enough) to cover shelter, food and clothing, and of course BILLS. Throw them a medical bill and they are done.

But it's nice you think about others :)

Likely true....but personally, I oppose all pensions (public & private). Save your own money, plan for your own future.

Peabianjay

Council Member
I just see it as government waste. I do think about others... but I'd prefer a much simpler (thus, cheaper) system for government handouts. Whether a person is unable to secure their basic rights (food, shelter, etc.) because of fiscal irresponsibility, laziness, medical impediment, time served, social irresponsibility, old age, veteran status, political service....doesn't matter (to me). If you're unemployed and broke, for whatever reason, a person should be entitled to "survival money". Eliminate all the government & red tape associated with determining who qualifies for what.

Z

zzigzzag

I think you have it right, Irish. I also saw a story about how much their compensation and personal wealth has increased just since the recession began. There's obviously no link to performance like there is for the rest of us.

Any POTUS is worth every penny, pay him or her for life. As for the Congress, those payoffs are tied to longevity if I recall...besides, 174k is mice nuts for what they do anyway.

Barbella

Senator
Their salary isn't what they make their millions with, anyway. It's the corruption that's making them rich.

Z

zzigzzag

Yep. Inside info that's criminal to employ in the private sector....and they even sell that to private citizens without consequences.

Peabianjay

Council Member
So, we should worry more about the corruption, and seeking ways of eliminating it, rather than worry about wages. (Not to say some attention shouldn't be paid to excessive compensation...but only the priority should be the corruption.)

Friday13

Governor
"They" gave themselves the "right" to vote their own salaries, raises, benis...where else would they be able to do this? Imagine telling your employer how much he was going to pay you, how big your raise would be, what health care he was going to provide at no expense to you, what your retirement would be...we are their employers, and they have done just that.

Z

zzigzzag

If their compensation were limited to salary and benefits, 99% of them would have never wanted to go to Washington.

IrishOne

Mayor
No, I cannot imagine telling any employer how to set pay and benefits. I betcha I wouldn't get hired!

"They" gave themselves the "right" to vote their own salaries, raises, benis...where else would they be able to do this? Imagine telling your employer how much he was going to pay you, how big your raise would be, what health care he was going to provide at no expense to you, what your retirement would be...we are their employers, and they have done just that.

IrishOne

Mayor
Obviously I had to really dig to find out the current pay grade, too. I find that a bit odd for a PUBLIC SERVANT, don't you?

I think you have it right, Irish. I also saw a story about how much their compensation and personal wealth has increased just since the recession began. There's obviously no link to performance like there is for the rest of us.

IrishOne

Mayor
I see what you mean. But unfortunately, a few bad apples CAN spoil the whole bunch. When some people deliberately set out to defraud the government (Not all are poor, mind you), it forces the government to put stop gaps in the system to prevent or stop fraudulent behavior. It's a big mess, I'll agree with you there. But I don't see an easy fix :(

I just see it as government waste. I do think about others... but I'd prefer a much simpler (thus, cheaper) system for government handouts. Whether a person is unable to secure their basic rights (food, shelter, etc.) because of fiscal irresponsibility, laziness, medical impediment, time served, social irresponsibility, old age, veteran status, political service....doesn't matter (to me). If you're unemployed and broke, for whatever reason, a person should be entitled to "survival money". Eliminate all the government & red tape associated with determining who qualifies for what.

IrishOne

Mayor
Funny you should mention the 99%...when Congress is probably much closer to the 1% ;) They are supposed to REPRESENT the 99%- Not screw the 99% !

If their compensation were limited to salary and benefits, 99% of them would have never wanted to go to Washington.