• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Hey Frayers.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering how many of us are left that migrated here from The Fray? Y'all realize it's been a little over 11 years since the plug got pulled at The Fray? I remember the frenzied posting the last day or 2. Nobody knew exactly when the plug was gonna be pulled and everyone was trying to be the one to get the last post in. My recollection is that Bugsy or GordonGecko(don't remember is Fray name) got the last word. :)

We've been through 3 POTUS and 3 midterm elections since then. Unreal huh?

What was your nickname in The Fray? Mine was BD. I'm not too imaginative when it comes to posting nics. :D

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
It would be so much fun, if all of those comments from posters reading Todays's Papers there had been archived. Our comments from those days are now somewhere out in cyber space. :)

My nic was Addy.

I remember, Julie, Fairsheet, Cotton, MV., Pace, Friday, Red Cloud, Phil, Luke, Days, IRP. Queen, Arkady, Jack, etc. I am hoping others will be chiming in.
I missed naming a whole slew of them. I hope those I mentioned won't mind, I have mentioned their nics.
My last day there, I learned how to add an image to a post. It was fun. :)
Long, long ago, in an Internet far, far away, before there were podcasts or blogs, before there was YouTube or Google, when Arianna Huffington was famous for being a Republican pundit, Slatepioneered Web aggregation. Our very first issue in 1996 featured “In Other Magazines,” which summarized the key stories in, well, other magazines. (I wrote it!) A year later, we began publishing “Today’s Papers,” an early-morning analysis of the top stories in America’s five most important newspapers. The very idea of “aggregation” hadn’t even been invented yet: We called these features “meta-news.”

“Today’s Papers” was hilariously backward by contemporary standards. The authors originally collected front pages by fax from newspapers that barely had online editions. (Our first “Today’s Papers” didn’t even have links.) But the column was an instant sensation for Slate, meeting a need our readers hadn’t even realized they had. It hooked an audience: William F. Buckley Jr. was particularly fervent, going into paroxysms if “Today’s Papers” arrived in his inbox late. “Today’s Papers” showed what Web news aggregation was supposed to be: It captured the media zeitgeist, it condensed everything you needed to know into a few paragraphs, and it was fast.

Over the next 12 years, journalism changed astonishingly, but “Today’s Papers” didn’t change at all. The column continues to be a brilliant condensation of one important aspect of the news, but it hasn’t kept pace with Web news as a whole: It doesn’t track the news as the day progresses, and it doesn’t encompass all the ways people get their news besides newspapers (blogs, Twitter, TV …). We’ve come to realize that we haven’t been doing the kind of aggregation most of our readers want.

write on

Senator
Just wondering how many of us are left that migrated here from The Fray? Y'all realize it's been a little over 11 years since the plug got pulled at The Fray? I remember the frenzied posting the last day or 2. Nobody knew exactly when the plug was gonna be pulled and everyone was trying to be the one to get the last post in. My recollection is that Bugsy or GordonGecko(don't remember is Fray name) got the last word. :)

What was your nickname in The Fray? Mine was BD. I'm not too imaginative when it comes to posting nics. :D
Damn, bdtex!!! You just reminded me how old I am. :p

I remember The Fray. I migrated here as quick as I could with most that's here now back in '11. But now we have a few millennials that think they all about it. I.....

:)

...and here we are talking the same smack. lol

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member

Wowwee wow wow..

I remember most of those whom Addy listed, and Addy and you.. Ohio Dave, the bell, Mercurial1, Kristy, etc ..so many others whose names escape me now.

I was Phil for a time and MrWong, both near the end ... My original nic was partly my real name..so I won't be sharing that here.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Wowwee wow wow..

I remember most of those whom Addy listed, and Addy and you.. Ohio Dave, the bell, Mercurial1, Kristy, etc ..so many others whose names escape me now.

I was Phil for a time and MrWong, both near the end ... My original nic was partly my real name..so I won't be sharing that here.

There was phenomenal posting and posters there too. Too bad they faded here....

middleview

President
Supporting Member

Middleview then and now. Seems to me Sickofleft was there as well.

write on

Senator
It would be so much fun, if all of those comments from posters reading Todays's Papers there had been archived. Our comments from those days are now somewhere out in cyber space. :)

My nic was Addy.

I remember, Julie, Fairsheet, Cotton, MV., Pace, Friday, Red Cloud, Phil, Luke, Days, IRP. Queen, Arkady, Jack, etc. I am hoping others will be chiming in.
I missed naming a whole slew of them. I hope those I mentioned won't mind, I have mentioned their nics.
My last day there, I learned how to add an image to a post. It was fun. :)
Long, long ago, in an Internet far, far away, before there were podcasts or blogs, before there was YouTube or Google, when Arianna Huffington was famous for being a Republican pundit, Slatepioneered Web aggregation. Our very first issue in 1996 featured “In Other Magazines,” which summarized the key stories in, well, other magazines. (I wrote it!) A year later, we began publishing “Today’s Papers,” an early-morning analysis of the top stories in America’s five most important newspapers. The very idea of “aggregation” hadn’t even been invented yet: We called these features “meta-news.”

“Today’s Papers” was hilariously backward by contemporary standards. The authors originally collected front pages by fax from newspapers that barely had online editions. (Our first “Today’s Papers” didn’t even have links.) But the column was an instant sensation for Slate, meeting a need our readers hadn’t even realized they had. It hooked an audience: William F. Buckley Jr. was particularly fervent, going into paroxysms if “Today’s Papers” arrived in his inbox late. “Today’s Papers” showed what Web news aggregation was supposed to be: It captured the media zeitgeist, it condensed everything you needed to know into a few paragraphs, and it was fast.

Over the next 12 years, journalism changed astonishingly, but “Today’s Papers” didn’t change at all. The column continues to be a brilliant condensation of one important aspect of the news, but it hasn’t kept pace with Web news as a whole: It doesn’t track the news as the day progresses, and it doesn’t encompass all the ways people get their news besides newspapers (blogs, Twitter, TV …). We’ve come to realize that we haven’t been doing the kind of aggregation most of our readers want.

Ahh, the good ole days. I remember showing Dawg how to post links there.

<a href="https://html.com/attributes/a-href/">Learn about the a href attribute</a>

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Middleview then and now. Seems to me Sickofleft was there as well.
Dawg here, memory says you had more than one nick
and did you have a mental melt down when you sent 11 HaHa's to my notifications in a row today

Call 9/11

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Dawg here, memory says you had more than one nick
and did you have a mental melt down when you sent 11 HaHa's to my notifications in a row today

Call 9/11
In answer to your HaHa's this morning. I find your posts just as funny as you think mine are.

Your memory is flawed. I've had the same nick for years and never posted under another.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
In answer to your HaHa's this morning. I find your posts just as funny as you think mine are.

Your memory is flawed. I've had the same nick for years and never posted under another.
I've never melted and sent You 11 haHa's in a gawd damn row
seek mental health care
ASAP
and you're lying you didn't use a different nick in BB

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
"seem to remember"....

Pretty much says just how credible you are.
Archives mighty interesting
especially OP of Chris Chrispy from 2014
NO MV replies do you remember Mytzlplk

but

middleview

President
Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2015
JuliefromOhio said:
your side will not defeat Hillary Rodham Clinton by making childish comments about her body. I do expect your side to go all sexist and misogynistic.....because that's how cons roll.
MV After all, she isn't the picture of the ideal athlete...like Mike Huckleberry or Chrispy Cream Christie is.

Last edited: