• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

How far should religious freedom extend?

How far do you want to take religious exemption from US secular law?

• From Here, to Eternity - and Beyond!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • About as far as I can kick it.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

NightSwimmer

Senator
If you believe that the Catholic Church, as an institution, should be exempted from adhering to US law in situations in which a particular law is in opposition to Church doctrine, then should the same deference also be given to Jews, Wiccans and Muslims?

I can't get a response to this question in the Religion forum, so I thought I'd put it up for a vote.

Bo-4

Senator
Yep NS, if they accept money from the US Government then there are certain expectations in terms of adherence to US law.

Either that, or the mega-wealthy Churches like Catholics and Mormons (30 billion with investments in luxury condos and shopping malls) need to lose their tax exempt status and have their faith-based funds cut.

But as you know, Conservatism is a religion.. so they'll tell us that they're exempt also. ;-)

NightSwimmer

Senator
Yep NS, if they accept money from the US Government then there are certain expectations in terms of adherence to US law.
I don't accept money from the US government, and yet, I am expected to adhere to every law -- even the ones to which I conscientiously object. Maybe I need to start my own religion?

Conservatism is a religion.. so they'll tell us that they're exempt also. ;-)
I'm particularly interested in how our conservative brethren feel about extending this privilege to the Islamic faith.