• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

How many of you want to go to war with Iran?

Should we strike Iran for going nuclear?

• Total voters

Days

Commentator
If we attack Iran we start our 3rd and largest Middle East war, just as we hoped to end the first two. But Iran is going nuclear and our government leaders all say (except Ron Paul) that we need to stop Iran from joining the nuclear nations. Iran hasn't attacked anyone. If Iran launched nuclear on Israel, Israel could handily wipe them off the face of the earth (and would) and Iran knows that. But it is scary to have another nation go nuclear within reach of your cities. We didn't want to live with missiles in Cuba. Once again we are faced with the terrible consequences of the Bush first-strike doctrine. Should we join in another war with Iran?

yes, lets kill them before they kill us

no, don't attack them unless they attack us first

lilly

Council Member
Very good question. We have been backing Israel for so long and I don't seem to see any respect, I could be wrong but I do hope we take every method out there before thinking of military involvement again. There are times when war is necessary and they may be ready or almost ready to strike one of us therefore the answer is a difficult one and I'll leave it to our President to know best.

Days

Commentator
Congress is about to draft another resolution to use force... in essence telling the president to attack Iran if our intelligence says they are making a bomb.

Congress is going to war again, that's why I posted the poll (my first one).

fairsheet

Senator
Congress is about to draft another resolution to use force... in essence telling the president to attack Iran if our intelligence says they are making a bomb.

Congress is going to war again, that's why I posted the poll (my first one).
I say they aren't going to war again. There...I'm on record.

Days

Commentator
You mean that Congress won't draft a resolution to use force? Or are you saying that the president won't act on it? Or do you think Iran will back down, so it won't be needed?

fairsheet

Senator
You mean that Congress won't draft a resolution to use force? Or are you saying that the president won't act on it? Or do you think Iran will back down, so it won't be needed?
Days....put'cher glasses on..."I say they aren't going to war again."

Jen

Senator
I can't answer the poll because neither answer is even close to what I would answer.

My answer?

NO. I do not WANT to go to war with Iran. However, Israel is our ally. I trust Netanyahu to know what needs to be done to prevent Iran from getting nukes. And if Israel goes to war in any way with Iran, we must support them. That does not mean that we will join them in war. But it does mean that they should have our support and it could mean we end up in a war with Iran.

My hope is that Israel will be able to take care of things without our overt (war) support.

Iran must be dealt with. We can't just pretend that Iran is doing all this nuclear stuff with medical intent. That would be stupid of us.

Days

Commentator
Well, I'll go on record for this in detail. Congress will absolutely draft a resolution to use force to attack Iran if intelligence shows that Iran is developing weapons grade enriched uranium. And Iran is going to cross that line... at least, I am sure that our intelligence will say it is a slam dunk that they have crossed that line. So that leaves it all on the shoulders of the president and I don't think Obama is insane enough to initiate this war, because this would be the mother of Middle Eastern wars. However, I have full faith that Israel has all the insanity needed (and insanity to spare) to make that strike... they are itching to go there. Now, Russia and America are drawn into a war that neither power wants. How it escalates from there is anybody's guess, but war looks inevitable from my perch in the southwest suburbs of Chicago.

God help us if we have a freshly elected Republican president just finished taking the oath... talk about your recipe for over reacting.

Days

Commentator
that's one of the reasons that I worded the poll that way, so it would sink in... if Israel strikes Iran first, we are in war up to our eyeballs, you can't dance around it, once Congress drafts a resolution to use force, it means exactly one thing: we are going to war with Iran, no ifs, ands, or butts.

judging by your post here, you should click yes, because that's the choice for backing Israel on a first strike against Iran... that is immediate war with Iran, Jen... absapositively war, make no mistake.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I voted yes; but I would not attack big population centers. I would hit their nuke facilities, and other major military targets, with tactical nukes and cruise missiles. I'd destroy their Navy and Air Force, if they dared to expose them.
I'd take whatever action required to set their WMD aspirations back at least a hundred years.

Days

Commentator
I'm sure that is the general plan. There's no way to take out their nuclear facilities without sending in an invasion and taking those facilities by force and destroying them. Which means a repeat of the Iraqi war... aka, all-out war. Can't imagine Russia will sit idly by, this time. Even China might join the affair. You have to realize that world war is more probable than not. This is not anything as small as Afghanistan or Iraq was.

The only other option is to nuke them and that means fallout on their large cities... collateral damage. I'm sure there are smaller cities that are part of the nuclear complex/es... that would buy it immediately. This seems to be a popular idea, but it is not any different than a nuclear first strike on the large cities... a nuclear first strike is a nuclear first strike; Russia will be forced (by Treaty) to return nuke for nuke; that's a nuclear war.

I guess nuclear war is not considered insane these days.... which is funny when you think about it because nukes have gotten more powerful, not less powerful.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I don't believe that. I see no reason to send in troops. The facilities can be rendered useless by bombing with tactical nukes.

lilly

Council Member
Well Obama threatening to bomb Iran worked and Iran as of today is going to allow UN nuke inspectors into their Army site.

Wulk

Mayor
Jen, you trust Netanyahu? You must be about the only person on this planet who does.

I don't understand your statement that Iran must be dealt with - why? What have they done to you? You do know that both US, and Israeli, intelligence services state, quite clearly, that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons programme. Without such a programme how can they be a threat to a nuclear armed country?

I'm sure that is the general plan. There's no way to take out their nuclear facilities without sending in an invasion and taking those facilities by force and destroying them. Which means a repeat of the Iraqi war... aka, all-out war. Can't imagine Russia will sit idly by, this time. Even China might join the affair. You have to realize that world war is more probable than not. This is not anything as small as Afghanistan or Iraq was.

The only other option is to nuke them and that means fallout on their large cities... collateral damage. I'm sure there are smaller cities that are part of the nuclear complex/es... that would buy it immediately. This seems to be a popular idea, but it is not any different than a nuclear first strike on the large cities... a nuclear first strike is a nuclear first strike; Russia will be forced (by Treaty) to return nuke for nuke; that's a nuclear war.

I guess nuclear war is not considered insane these days.... which is funny when you think about it because nukes have gotten more powerful, not less powerful.
The UN is talking about 'not bombing Syria' now. Which means that is on the cards ? Any min now and off starts WW111. Who and where and what the Hell are they going to bomb in Syria ??????

I can't answer the poll because neither answer is even close to what I would answer.

My answer?

NO. I do not WANT to go to war with Iran. However, Israel is our ally. I trust Netanyahu to know what needs to be done to prevent Iran from getting nukes. And if Israel goes to war in any way with Iran, we must support them. That does not mean that we will join them in war. But it does mean that they should have our support and it could mean we end up in a war with Iran.

My hope is that Israel will be able to take care of things without our overt (war) support.

Iran must be dealt with. We can't just pretend that Iran is doing all this nuclear stuff with medical intent. That would be stupid of us.
Iran must be delt with ? I think, as most of the rest of the World thinks, that the USA must be delt with and Israel but I don't think any bombs should rain down on either of you nor any sanctions should be imposed so that your poorest should starve !!!! Iran ??? What the hell has Iran done to you ? It is on the other side of the bloody World girl. Is it something they put in the water in the US ????? chemical labotomy makers ahhhhh more likely in the million vaccines you all get before you can walk talk and THINK things out for yourselves ! ???? Thank God a few of you manage to by pass the lobotomy chemicals ......not enough of you though, just not enough.

Zam-Zam

Senator
If we attack Iran we start our 3rd and largest Middle East war, just as we hoped to end the first two. But Iran is going nuclear and our government leaders all say (except Ron Paul) that we need to stop Iran from joining the nuclear nations. Iran hasn't attacked anyone. If Iran launched nuclear on Israel, Israel could handily wipe them off the face of the earth (and would) and Iran knows that. But it is scary to have another nation go nuclear within reach of your cities. We didn't want to live with missiles in Cuba. Once again we are faced with the terrible consequences of the Bush first-strike doctrine. Should we join in another war with Iran?

yes, lets kill them before they kill us

no, don't attack them unless they attack us first

Personally, as a veteran, I don't want to go to war with Iran, or anyone else. However, I do realize that there are alternatives to war that are worse.

I surely would not have wanted to go to war with Nazi Germany, but I do believe allowing Adolf Hitler and his henchmen get ever-more powerful would have been worse.

The Civil War was a horrible mess, but the alternative of letting people of my color languish in bondage, and having a nation divided seems a worse alternative.

The Revolutionary War was awful, but not as awful as being subject to tyranny.

The President and his administration must weigh both the consequences of war and acquiescence, and decide which fate would be worse. Neither of them are good. The administration has stated that Iran obtaining a nuclear weapon is unacceptable. That is the administration's "red line", in the words of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. It remains to be seen if Iran dares to cross that red line, and what the President is prepared to do about it.

I do not wish for war. I do, however, acknowledge that there are worse fates.

Days

Commentator
You don't see any connection between Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran?

History books will record these as the Oil Wars.

Take away the oil, and watch how different the politics work. And here's the perfect example; North Korea. Why was it acceptable to allow North Korea to go nuclear? Because they were allied with China? So, Iran is allied with Russia.

You compare Iran, a nation that has not attacked anyone in 2500 years, to Hitler?

Zam-Zam

Senator
You don't see any connection between Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran?

History books will record these as the Oil Wars.

Take away the oil, and watch how different the politics work. And here's the perfect example; North Korea. Why was it acceptable to allow North Korea to go nuclear? Because they were allied with China? So, Iran is allied with Russia.

You compare Iran, a nation that has not attacked anyone in 2500 years, to Hitler?

I don't think you quite understand my position, allow me to amplify:

I am not eager for war. I'm been in war. I do acknowledge that there are, however, worse alternatives. I used Hitler as an example to illustrate that point.

Whether or not we end up in a war with Iran depends on, essentially, two things:

1) Whether or not Iran does indeed acquire a nuclear weapon, and

2) How President Obama and his administration choose to react in that event.

I hope this all gets resolved diplomatically. My hoping for it, though, will not make it so. This is in the hands of the leaders of the two nations.