• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

If I "had to" wager a guess about who'll lead the charge this fall

Gramps

Mayor
for the GOP I'd have to go with Mitt for Prez and either Bachman or Cain for VP. It would make sense considering the eggs they've laid recently. Whether a pair like that can beat Obama remains to be seen but with a woman and/or a minority rounding out the slate it's probablyas good as it will get.

Citizen

Council Member
I think it would be funny to see a Mitt/Newt ticket. I could laugh all the way to the polls.

ARMCX1

Mayor
I'll be the first to admit I don't know who Romney will pick for VP.

If Mitt has a deathwish, maybe then he'd hook up with Bachmann or Cain. Since Mitt doesn't have a deathwish as far as I can tell, then it's safe to say that neither Cain nor Bachmann will be asked to climb aboard the Romney train.

I'd guess Mitt's pick will be determined by whether Mitt has to shore up support to his right or towards the middle.

Gramps

Mayor
How about "oops!" The liar thing isn't the half of the problem. Who would be in the Oval Office looking out on whose outside looing in?

Lukey

Senator
The Romney VP slot belongs to Christie (if he wants it). He didn't early endorse Romney for nothing. And he's a smart pol (as I pointed out before) - he's hedging his bets. If they win he's young enough to follow a two term Romney Administration and if they lose, he preserves a frontrunner status for 2016.

GordonGecko

President
How about "oops!" The liar thing isn't the half of the problem. Who would be in the Oval Office looking out on whose outside looing in?
Sorry, Gramps....no way Gingrich can be Romney's Veep now. Not a chance. No amount of "Things were said in the heat of the Primaries, I really didn't mean" spin could "walk it back".

As for Romney's Veep?....if he can avoid the comparisons to Palin....Susana Martinez of New Mexico.

GordonGecko

President
The Romney VP slot belongs to Christie (if he wants it). He didn't early endorse Romney for nothing. And he's a smart pol (as I pointed out before) - he's hedging his bets. If they win he's young enough to follow a two term Romney Administration and if they lose, he preserves a frontrunner status for 2016.
Doesn't that make Christie look a bit cowardly? He's fine about "leaving New Jersey" to become Veep....but was too scared to actually throw his hat in the ring and run for President six months ago and "leave New Jersey" then?

NightSwimmer

Senator
I'll be the first to admit I don't know who Romney will pick for VP.

If Mitt has a deathwish, maybe then he'd hook up with Bachmann or Cain. Since Mitt doesn't have a deathwish as far as I can tell, then it's safe to say that neither Cain nor Bachmann will be asked to climb aboard the Romney train.

I'd guess Mitt's pick will be determined by whether Mitt has to shore up support to his right or towards the middle.
I'll be surprised if he chooses one of the clowns he's been running against. Considering his inherent weakness in the South, I'd guess Haley Barbour.

Lukey

Senator
Doesn't that make Christie look a bit cowardly? He's fine about "leaving New Jersey" to become Veep....but was too scared to actually throw his hat in the ring and run for President six months ago and "leave New Jersey" then?
Nope - it moves his "leaving" a year down the road. Doesn't look (so much) like he's running off before he got the job done. And, if the polls this summer show Romney/Christy crushing Obama he can cite his duty to do his part to take out a failed President.

GordonGecko

President
Nope - it moves his "leaving" a year down the road. Doesn't look (so much) like he's running off before he got the job done. And, if the polls this summer show Romney/Christy crushing Obama he can cite his duty to do his part to take out a failed President.
So he couldn't leave New Jersey in Summer 2011 because "he had work to do and a responsibility to the people of New Jersey"...but he CAN leave New Jersey in Summer 2012 because his work is done and his responsibility is over?

ARMCX1

Mayor
Christie and Mitt occupy the same portion of the political spectrum. They come from the Northeast. Having Christie for running mate is like having Mitt for Prez and Veep.

I think it's more likely Mitt will pick someone that complements his relative weakness with the righter part of the GOP/TP base. Marco Rubio? Rubio could swing FL into the GOP/TP column, neutralize the backlash the GOP is taking over immigration with hispanics and appeal to the base.

Lukey

Senator
So he couldn't leave New Jersey in Summer 2011 because "he had work to do and a responsibility to the people of New Jersey"...but he CAN leave New Jersey in Summer 2012 because his work is done and his responsibility is over?
AND he's needed to "take back America" from the commies!

Lukey

Senator
Christie and Mitt occupy the same portion of the political spectrum. They come from the Northeast. Having Christie for running mate is like having Mitt for Prez and Veep.

I think it's more likely Mitt will pick someone that complements his relative weakness with the righter part of the GOP/TP base. Marco Rubio? Rubio could swing FL into the GOP/TP column, neutralize the backlash the GOP is taking over immigration with hispanics and appeal to the base.
I certainly like Rubio and you might be right. But the money men in the GOP weren't making pilgrimages to Florida begging Rubio to get into the race. Christie/Rubio makes sense down the road (after his exaggerated family history has some time to become "old news").

GordonGecko

President
AND he's needed to "take back America" from the commies!
Lukey, I just don't see how Christie "explains that". He couldn't leave Jersey to run for President...but 10 months later he CAN to run for Vice-President?!?!?

BTW, don't be confused...I think it's a GREAT ticket...for Democrats. Why?

Because Christie would OVERSHADOW Romney...as you would agree, he's more personable and charismatic. So all the focus would be on Chris (kind of like it was on Palin) and Romney would appear weak and "secondary".

Might sound great and he could get in some zingers on Biden...but the overall image for Mitt would be a disaster, making it seem as if HE is Christie's Vice-President.

Lukey

Senator
Lukey, I just don't see how Christie "explains that". He couldn't leave Jersey to run for President...but 10 months later he CAN to run for Vice-President?!?!?

BTW, don't be confused...I think it's a GREAT ticket...for Democrats. Why?

Because Christie would OVERSHADOW Romney...as you would agree, he's more personable and charismatic. So all the focus would be on Chris (kind of like it was on Palin) and Romney would appear weak and "secondary".

Might sound great and he could get in some zingers on Biden...but the overall image for Mitt would be a disaster, making it seem as if HE is Christie's Vice-President.
More like a very competent CEO/COO team.

ARMCX1

Mayor
I certainly like Rubio and you might be right. But the money men in the GOP weren't making pilgrimages to Florida begging Rubio to get into the race. Christie/Rubio makes sense down the road (after his exaggerated family history has some time to become "old news").
Romney needs a running mate in 2012. There are many possible candidates. I argue that a Romney-Rubio slate would potentially be a potent ticket. Situations next summer will determine who Romney will pick.

Lukey

Senator
Romney needs a running mate in 2012. There are many possible candidates. I argue that a Romney-Rubio slate would potentially be a potent ticket. Situations next summer will determine who Romney will pick.
Maybe, but I don't think you can easily dismiss the very important early endorsement. Christy took a big risk (note for instance, that the "end of the roader" McCain even waited until after the Iowa caucuses to step up to that plate). He is "owed."