• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

I'm completely in favor of slavery reparations . . .

EatTheRich

President
Yes, and it ended, and those institutions changed, and all of that happened 150 years ago.
They changed a little. I don’t even think reparations of the sort demanded by the left-wing Democrats would change things fundamentally. I think the reparations championed by the Black Panthers can fulfill that promise only because their demands could not be met under (now obligatory)-militarist capitalism.

trapdoor

Governor
They changed a little. I don’t even think reparations of the sort demanded by the left-wing Democrats would change things fundamentally. I think the reparations championed by the Black Panthers can fulfill that promise only because their demands could not be met under (now obligatory)-militarist capitalism.
I'm sorry, but amending the the U.S. Constitution is not a small change to the U.S. system of government, and it was amended at least twice to address these issues (the 13th and 14th Amendments, specifically). The people of the time didn't offer reparations, and that was while actual slaves were only recently freed.

EatTheRich

President
I'm sorry, but amending the the U.S. Constitution is not a small change to the U.S. system of government, and it was amended at least twice to address these issues (the 13th and 14th Amendments, specifically). The people of the time didn't offer reparations, and that was while actual slaves were only recently freed.
Reparations have never been offered. Freed slaves fought for and won land redistributed from plantation owners, plus the Freedmen’s Bureau which the 14th Amendment was created to legalize, facilitating mass distribution of food, tools, dry goods, cash relief, clothing, and education, and the solemn promise from President Lincoln of 40 acres and a mule, a promise that is now due with interest, as are the stolen deposits of the government-endorsed Freedman’s Savings Bank, and the wealth destroyed by pogroms, and by the way the unremunerated labor of one to dozens of generations.

trapdoor

Governor
Reparations have never been offered. Freed slaves fought for and won land redistributed from plantation owners, plus the Freedmen’s Bureau which the 14th Amendment was created to legalize, facilitating mass distribution of food, tools, dry goods, cash relief, clothing, and education, and the solemn promise from President Lincoln of 40 acres and a mule, a promise that is now due with interest, as are the stolen deposits of the government-endorsed Freedman’s Savings Bank, and the wealth destroyed by pogroms, and by the way the unremunerated labor of one to dozens of generations.
I'm unaware of freed slaves doing that with any such assumption. Freedmen's bureaus existed and defended the rights of slaves and offered other aid from 1866 until the presidency of Rutherford B. Hayes -- possibly that counts as well as the hundreds of thousands of deaths toward any "debt" owed to the former slaves by people who never owned them and owed them no debt (who in fact fought and died in the process of freeing them).

There was never any legislation to back the "solemn promise of 40 acres and a mule." Nor did Lincoln make such a promise William T. Sherman made that provision in "Special Field Orders No. 15" which he supported only in the military district over which he had control, and he supplied Army mules. When his military command in the area ended, so did the practice, and other practices came in under several Freedmen's bureau bills discussed (some passed and some rejected) in Congress during reconstruction. It was never an official promise, it didn't come from Lincoln, and there was never any supporting legislation for the concept.

EatTheRich

President
I'm unaware of freed slaves doing that with any such assumption. Freedmen's bureaus existed and defended the rights of slaves and offered other aid from 1866 until the presidency of Rutherford B. Hayes -- possibly that counts as well as the hundreds of thousands of deaths toward any "debt" owed to the former slaves by people who never owned them and owed them no debt (who in fact fought and died in the process of freeing them).

There was never any legislation to back the "solemn promise of 40 acres and a mule." Nor did Lincoln make such a promise William T. Sherman made that provision in "Special Field Orders No. 15" which he supported only in the military district over which he had control, and he supplied Army mules. When his military command in the area ended, so did the practice, and other practices came in under several Freedmen's bureau bills discussed (some passed and some rejected) in Congress during reconstruction. It was never an official promise, it didn't come from Lincoln, and there was never any supporting legislation for the concept.
Freedmen’s Bureaus were fundamentally the weapon of a revolutionary regime for redistributing property from the plantation owners to the workers, farm workers, and farmers including tenant farmers and peons.

Eric Foner shows that the promise originally came directly from Lincoln, and that the left-wing Radical Republicans fought to extend land redistribution throughout the South.

trapdoor

Governor
Freedmen’s Bureaus were fundamentally the weapon of a revolutionary regime for redistributing property from the plantation owners to the workers, farm workers, and farmers including tenant farmers and peons.

Eric Foner shows that the promise originally came directly from Lincoln, and that the left-wing Radical Republicans fought to extend land redistribution throughout the South.
Freedmen's Bureaus were bureaus established by the United States government and administered by the U.S. Army (Well, technically the War Department, but it was delegated to the Army). It did very little land redistribution as very little land was confiscated.

I have no idea who Eric Foner is. I gave you the actual history of "40 acres and a mule."

EatTheRich

President
Freedmen's Bureaus were bureaus established by the United States government and administered by the U.S. Army (Well, technically the War Department, but it was delegated to the Army). It did very little land redistribution as very little land was confiscated.

I have no idea who Eric Foner is. I gave you the actual history of "40 acres and a mule."
Eric Foner is one of the top historians of Reconstruction, and one of many I have read. Your “actual history” is incomplete and spotty.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
All in favor pay them instead of talking the talk and not walking the walk

No one is stopping you