• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Is Birth Control Mandate a Womens' Rights Issue or a Religious Liberty Issue?

Is Birth Control Mandate a Women's Rights Issue or a Religious Liberty Issue?

• Women's Rights Issue

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Religious Liberty Issue

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Both

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters

imreallyperplexed

Council Member
Given the considerable debate over the mandate for Catholic hospitals and universities that provide health care plans for their employees provide access to policies that provide birth control coverage, I am wondering what people think is the issue that is at stake.

Both, because employers shouldn't be able to force their religous beleifs onto their employess, or financially punish them for not being of the same religion or disagreeing with that religions dogma.

GordonGecko

President
So should the Catholic Church be allowed to deny insurance benefits to their employees who get an STD due to their stance on no sex outside of marriage???

It's an issue of individual liberty.

When you force someone who doesn't want contraceptive, abortion pill and sterilization coverage in their health insurance policy, to pay for it in order to lower the cost of it or to provide it for free for someone else, that's a violation of our basic principle of individual liberty and property rights.

And as far as I'm concerned, contraception can only be called 'health care' if pregnancy is called a disease.

Bruce

Council Member

When you force someone who doesn't want contraceptive, abortion pill and sterilization coverage in their health insurance policy, to pay for it in order to lower the cost of it or to provide it for free for someone else, that's a violation of our basic principle of individual liberty and property rights.

And as far as I'm concerned, contraception can only be called 'health care' if pregnancy is called a disease.
Not a disease but in some ways just as devastating to physical and mental health. Not being of the female gender I've often wondered why women would get pregnant in the first place. They're bodies are stretched, distorted and they are afflicted with numerous cravings,conditions that would cause an ordinary man to consider suicide. I think it could be rated 10 notches worse than waterboarding. I vote for including it in the insurance as most men are running around and would not hesitate to impregnate the opposite sex. An old saying from a wise person, " An erect penus has no conscience"

Figjam

Mayor
...it is a political issue - BTW, did you know that many states already require employers’ health care plans to cover contraception and that all over the United States there are Catholic universities and hospitals that comply? Go figure...

Figjam

Mayor
...maybe we should not cover cavities in dental insurance or acne for skin since these are also completely preventable...

...heck why even have healthy people be force to pay premiums for "heath care" in the first place - they never use it, it is only the sick who need health coverage..

Given the considerable debate over the mandate for Catholic hospitals and universities that provide health care plans for their employees provide access to policies that provide birth control coverage, I am wondering what people think is the issue that is at stake.
It's a womens' rights issue. If there are some women who allow a group of 'so called' religious men to dictate how many children they bear that is on them but for the rest of us it's our right to decide whether we want to bear children and if so how many. No man, Con or Dem, religious or not have the right to tell women what they can do with their bodies. We are the ones who bear the burden of incubating children and 9 times out of 10 we are the ones with the responsibility of caring for their needs. In case anyone missed it the first time, it's a woman's right to decide whether she wants to do that or not. :)

Friday13

Governor
It's a womens' rights issue. If there are some women who allow a group of 'so called' religious men to dictate how many children they bear that is on them but for the rest of us it's our right to decide whether we want to bear children and if so how many. No man, Con or Dem, religious or not have the right to tell women what they can do with their bodies. We are the ones who bear the burden of incubating children and 9 times how of 10 we are the ones with the responsibility of caring for their needs. In case anyone missed it the first time, it's a woman's right to decide whether she wants to do that or not.
With ya all the way, sistah! When a man can get pregnant they can decide...and not before!

Wulk

Mayor
Gotta laugh at the Catholic Church rabbiting on about religious rights. It's not that long ago that they used to burn people alive for daring to exercise their religious rights. It was their way, or, burn, baby, burn.

ITALIA

Mayor

How about women paying for you to have prostate treatment included in your health plan?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
there was no requirement for coverage of an abortion pill.....

Pregnancy can be life threatening to some people. If two people with Taye Sachs or Cystic Fibrosis (or many other diseases) were to marry then sterilization or contraception may by their only hope of not having a child inflicted with that disease.....My wife had cystic fibrosis and my son may be faced with being a carrier....

What about people who are not catholics, but work at a catholic hospital? Face it...the ruling was that using contraception was not acceptable for Catholics....it didn't say anything about an insurance policy which covers it. It is a republican position that you don't want to have insurance cover things you don't believe in for someone else to use....why does everyone have to believe as you do? If you don't believe in birth control, you know what to do.

How about women paying for you to have prostate treatment included in your health plan?
Not only that but what about that little blue pill that insurance companies have been paying for men and yet they would not cover birth control for women. You can certainly tell who is running insurance companies...men!

And this is the main reason that Obamacare will be in the SC this summer. The government forcing a person to purchase or provide something is an afront to individual liberty.

I vote for including it in the insurance
I vote for people who want something pay for it.

I vote for people not giving government the power to force people who don't want something having to pay for it for others.

And in this case it's particularly offensive, because the Democrats, through Obamacare, have given the the President the unilateral power to make any and all health care decisions regarding health care and health insurance.

This will come to no good end, I can assure you.

jammer

Mayor
So because men run around willing to screw anything that moves th woman has no responsibility? Twisted spin bruce.
So you agree AR that most men lack any sense of responsibilty when it comes to getting a woman pregnant, it's all her fault for letting him screw her to begin with? Interesting point of view you have.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
and what about a business owned by someone who doesn't believe in medical care at all? There are those who think that there is no acceptable treatment for disease or injury other than prayer. How about those who think STDs are God's punishment for the sinners? Should you be able to refuse to help pay for insurance that includes treatment for some ailments or injuries? AIDS? Should Catholics be excused from paying taxes meant for Medicaid if it includes birth control?

Nobody is being forced to use birth control.....