• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Is Debbie Spend-It-Now political commercial racist?

Is the Debbie Spend-It-Now advertisement racist?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

imreallyperplexed

Council Member
Peter Hoekstra is running for the Michigan Senate seat currently held by Debbie Stabenow. The advertisement (which was first run in Michigan during the Superbowl) has gotten a lot of airplay on cable news (CNN and MSNBC) and a number of people have called the advertisement racist (in the sense of playing off racial stereotypes). Do you agree?

[video=youtube;kxw4uZAezaI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kxw4uZAezaI#t=24s[/video]

Days

Commentator
well, it depends on where you draw the line. It is lightly racist and heavily stupid.

degsme

Council Member
Because it exhibits a hatred for Chinese?
No because it characterizes Chinese as inscrutable, and the CAUSE of US job losses... and ties into the "yellow menace" that we have had in our racist mythology since before the Chinese Exclusion Act.

The GOP has a recent history of racist policies implemented via the "Southern Strategy"

If anyone feels a conservative commercial is racist then it most likely is.

imreallyperplexed

Council Member
Days,

One reason I was curious is that my wife is ethnic Chinese and grew up in Indonesia. Though, she is a U.S. citizen and has lived and worked in the United States for 25+ years, she still speaks (fluent) English with a slight accent. When she saw the advertisement, she was offended and thought that it was racist. I was wondering how many people agreed.

so it is politically racist. Was that the intent of this pole?