• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Is Molly Cyrus a Slut?

Friday13

Governor
She is no Hannah Montana anymore. Watch out Lady Gaga you have real slut competition. Molly is now making nude music videos, " Wrecking Ball". Molly is 20 years old and apparently has ants in her underpants. If I was her Dad she and I would be having a serious morality discussion. Molly has transformed herself into a real SLUT.
Her given name, at birth, was Destiny Hope Cyrus...but she chooses to go by the name "Miley", not "Molly". Don't know if she's a "slut", but she does seem to be an exhibitionist. She certainly looks ridiculous.

Friday13

Governor
I'd say "someone who thinks sex is fun and pleasure is good for you" sort of implies indiscriminate sex. Wouldn't it be possible for someone to be slutty and monogamous at the same time?

Actually, I looked in a dictionary, and it listed two definitions.

A: a promiscuous woman (prostitute)

B: a saucy girl (minx)

I've heard the word used as both an insult and as a playful compliment. Depends entirely upon the context. I've also heard it used in reference to both genders, despite the dictionary listing it specifically as a feminine word.
When I was young, a prostitute was someone who got paid for sex, and a slut was someone who gave it for free. If there can be male prostitutes, then there are certainly are male sluts...more of the latter than the former. In fact, I'd wager that most young men are sluts...

NightSwimmer

Senator
Men are not called sluts. It is a gender specific word to keep women's sexuality taboo
It's easy enough for you to say that, but it doesn't jibe with my own experience. Languages evolve. Usage changes. I accept your definition as the classic definition and one that is still valid, but it certainly isn't the only way that the word is used in modern conversation -- not that I really care, one way or the other.

Renee

Governor
It's easy enough for you to say that, but it doesn't jibe with my own experience. Languages evolve. Usage changes. I accept your definition as the classic definition and one that is still valid, but it certainly isn't the only way that the word is used in modern conversation -- not that I really care, one way or the other.

It is interesting that you choose that because that is a very popular discussion I hear . Most people agree they see a woman in their minds eye when the word slut, tramp, whore, loose and other words that describe a promiscuous person. If I said, " my neighbors kid is such a slut" most would think it is his daughter. The word describing a man seems to be "a dog". calling a man is quite different than calling a female a slut many men would consider it a badge of honor. I am curious do you not think there is a double standard for men's sexuality as compared to female sexuality? I think the word carries differently. It is like a white person being called a cracker and a black person being called a nigger..the depth of the word is different..words are powerful. I'm a wannabe slut lol

NightSwimmer

Senator
It is interesting that you choose that because that is a very popular discussion I hear . Most people agree they see a woman in their minds eye when the word slut, tramp, whore, loose and other words that describe a promiscuous person. If I said, " my neighbors kid is such a slut" most would think it is his daughter. The word describing a man seems to be "a dog". calling a man is quite different than calling a female a slut many men would consider it a badge of honor. I am curious do you not think there is a double standard for men's sexuality as compared to female sexuality? I think the word carries differently. It is like a white person being called a cracker and a black person being called a nigger..the depth of the word is different..words are powerful. I'm a wannabe slut lol

"I am curious do you not think there is a double standard for men's sexuality as compared to female sexuality?"

I think that, while there may be a consensus position within society, each individual has their own unique position. Only via changes in individual positions does the societal consensus change. I'd say that our society has been drifting away from rigid patriarchal double standards for sexuality, in fits and starts.

"It is like a white person being called a cracker and a black person being called a nigger..the depth of the word is different..words are powerful."

I suppose that some more sexually free-thinking folks have co-opted the word "slut" in much the same way that many black folks have co-opted the word "nigger" into a term of endearment in the form of "niggah". Words are only as powerful as the meanings that we choose to attach to them.

Renee

Governor
"I am curious do you not think there is a double standard for men's sexuality as compared to female sexuality?"

I think that, while there may be a consensus position within society, each individual has their own unique position. Only via changes in individual positions does the societal consensus change. I'd say that our society has been drifting away from rigid patriarchal double standards for sexuality, in fits and starts.

"It is like a white person being called a cracker and a black person being called a nigger..the depth of the word is different..words are powerful."

I suppose that some more sexually free-thinking folks have co-opted the word "slut" in much the same way that many black folks have co-opted the word "nigger" into a term of endearment in the form of "niggah". Words are only as powerful as the meanings that we choose to attach to them.
I disagree ...words are powerful and we can't always Diminish the power they have over us. This reminds me of the kid who is tormented by kids calling him fatso or ugly and the parents saying it only bothers you if you let it ...that isn't reality. Calling a woman a slut as a pejorative is painful to her, check out the social network sometime and see the impact it has on young women. I do agree that society is easing up on terms like that but not as much as I wish. I hope one day we will look in the dictionary and the word slut will be obsolete

NightSwimmer

Senator
I disagree ...words are powerful and we can't always Diminish the power they have over us. This reminds me of the kid who is tormented by kids calling him fatso or ugly and the parents saying it only bothers you if you let it ...that isn't reality. Calling a woman a slut as a pejorative is painful to her, check out the social network sometime and see the impact it has on young women. I do agree that society is easing up on terms like that but not as much as I wish. I hope one day we will look in the dictionary and the word slut will be obsolete

Well then, we'll agree to disagree. You have read far more into what I said than what I said.

I don't condone uncivil, impolite behavior. At the same time, I don't assume that everyone else is exactly like me. I've met far too many different people to fall into that trap. Words are just collections of sounds and letters. It's how they are used that counts.

Renee

Governor
Well then, we'll agree to disagree. You have read far more into what I said than what I said.

I don't condone uncivil, impolite behavior. At the same time, I don't assume that everyone else is exactly like me. I've met far too many different people to fall into that trap. Words are just collections of sounds and letters. It's how they are used that counts.

words yield power....we will just have to disagree . What I consider uncivil,or impolite you may see as benign. And of course no one is exactly like you or exactly like me but there is such a term as generally speaking. I recall in my class when we were doing something on rap music and I ask the girls why they would buy music that demeans them and calls them bitches. One girl said, "I know I am not a bitch". I then said to her, "I never heard of rap song that said yo bitch except dawn, you're different" The best part of this story is she called me years later from Tulane University and said, "no one calls me a bitch and lives"I cracked up laughing but knowing Dawn she was probably saying it literally

NightSwimmer

Senator
I just feel like you're chasing after the symptom rather than the disease. It isn't the choice of words that is so important as is the underlying attitude and motivation of the speaker.

An [Unwelcome language removed] can still be an [Unwelcome language removed] whilst using polite and proper grammar.

gigi

Mayor
The thing that bothers me about what Miley is doing, and Britney Spears and Christina Aguellera did it, too, is this: They start out as teen entertainers, playing to the little girls and the tweens. The image they present is pretty tame and cheeky and all that. The kids are buying their music and wearing the t-shirts and backpacks and idolizing them. Then they hit 18 and off come the clothes, and on goes the snake (or the foam finger) and next thing you know their live performances are like "The Nympho Hour" and they're singing some pretty graphic stuff. But these kids are still idolizing them and wanting to imitate them. What frosts me is that these performers, who know they made all their money to date by being idols and role models claim that they never wanted to be and take no responsibility for the influence they have on kids. It's like they sold something for years and then later claimed it never existed. And of course, it's mostly their promoters' too.

I don' t know if Miley is a slut. I don't know anything about her private life.

And yeah, the guys like Robin Thicke who performed with Miley Cyrus are just as responsible for the image and the indecency. No one is saying much about him standing there in his Beetlejuice suit though.

Renee

Governor
I just feel like you're chasing after the symptom rather than the disease. It isn't the choice of words that is so important as is the underlying attitude and motivation of the speaker.

An [Unwelcome language removed] can still be an [Unwelcome language removed] whilst using polite and proper grammar.

It is the chicken and the egg...the word affects attitudes