• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Is this the best economy we ever had?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thank the GOP and their pals on the SCOTUS for the untimely kink in student loans.
And while you are at it you can blame them for the credit ding we took with their debt ceiling nonsense and maybe another ding with their going back on the debt ceiling agreement with this shutdown they are careening towards by midnight.
Nice zealot answer.

I don't follow that zealot nonsense. I adhere to the simple facts of life such as paying back one's debt when owed, working to earn money to pay said debt.

The debt ceiling shut down is going to be unfortunate. And it's too bad that it's in the hands of imbecile persons on both sides who refused to negotiate. But the reality of the matter is we need rational discussion around curbs on debt

Spamature

President
Nice zealot answer.

I don't follow that zealot nonsense. I adhere to the simple facts of life such as paying back one's debt when owed, working to earn money to pay said debt.

The debt ceiling shut down is going to be unfortunate. And it's too bad that it's in the hands of imbecile persons on both sides who refused to negotiate. But the reality of the matter is we need rational discussion around curbs on debt
Well the zealots got what they wanted and now you are laying it at Biden's feet ?
Republicans sued to prevent student loans forgiveness.
Also

The return of student loan payments

What the deal does: The legislation terminates the Education Department’s ongoing suspension of federal student loan payments and interest as of Aug. 30.
It effectively requires the Biden administration to resume collecting monthly payments and charging interest for roughly 40 million Americans for the first time since they were paused in March 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic.

The pause has been repeatedly extended through executive action, twice by the Trump administration and six times by the Biden administration.
What Republicans got: They cemented into law the Biden administration’s stated plan to restart student loan payments later this year — preemptively blocking the White House from offering any further extensions.
GOP lawmakers hailed the end of the payment pause as a victory for taxpayers, citing the roughly $5 billion-a-month price tag of keeping the payments halted and interest rates set to 0 percent.
Still, many conservatives were unhappy that the deal didn’t go further and block Biden’s plan to cancel large swaths of outstanding student debt outright. That plan would wipe out up to $20,000 of debt apiece for tens of millions of Americans.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Well the zealots got what they wanted and now you are laying it at Biden's feet ?
Republicans sued to prevent student loans forgiveness.
Also

The return of student loan payments

What the deal does: The legislation terminates the Education Department’s ongoing suspension of federal student loan payments and interest as of Aug. 30.
It effectively requires the Biden administration to resume collecting monthly payments and charging interest for roughly 40 million Americans for the first time since they were paused in March 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic.

The pause has been repeatedly extended through executive action, twice by the Trump administration and six times by the Biden administration.
What Republicans got: They cemented into law the Biden administration’s stated plan to restart student loan payments later this year — preemptively blocking the White House from offering any further extensions.
GOP lawmakers hailed the end of the payment pause as a victory for taxpayers, citing the roughly $5 billion-a-month price tag of keeping the payments halted and interest rates set to 0 percent.
Still, many conservatives were unhappy that the deal didn’t go further and block Biden’s plan to cancel large swaths of outstanding student debt outright. That plan would wipe out up to $20,000 of debt apiece for tens of millions of Americans.
Yes the Biden administration's stated plan to restart student loan payments, as captured in your quoted snippet above. As you can see by your own quotation those zealots included the Biden administration. Good luck to you

Spamature

President
Yes the Biden administration's stated plan to restart student loan payments, as captured in your quoted snippet above. As you can see by your own quotation those zealots included the Biden administration. Good luck to you
The flexibility to decide exactly when was taken away when Republicans put a gun to the head of our economy.

As the article states: preemptively blocking the White House from offering any further extensions.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
The flexibility to decide exactly when was taken away when Republicans put a gun to the head of our economy.

As the article states: preemptively blocking the White House from offering any further extensions.
Yes the Biden administration had ended it. And then we're more accurately now the debate surrounds whether or not to extend it. All the dramatic additions like gun to the head and all that is simply bullshit. You don't simply give money away do you? With no expectation of it ever being returned?

Spamature

President
Yes the Biden administration had ended it. And then we're more accurately now the debate surrounds whether or not to extend it. All the dramatic additions like gun to the head and all that is simply bullshit. You don't simply give money away do you? With no expectation of it ever being returned?
No it isn't bullshit.
Raising the debt ceiling had nothing to do with the executive branch.
We have to take them at their word that they would destroy our economy if they didn't get what they wanted. They got it and now they are going back on that agreement. Part of that agreement was to make sure extensions could not be given.

The govt gives away money it never expects to be returned all the time.
Take the COVID loans these same Republicans got and forgave for themselves as an example.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
No it isn't bullshit.
Raising the debt ceiling had nothing to do with the executive branch.
We have to take them at their word that they would destroy our economy if they didn't get what they wanted. They got it and now they are going back on that agreement. Part of that agreement was to make sure extensions could not be given.

The govt gives away money it never expects to be returned all the time.
Take the COVID loans these same Republicans got and forgave for themselves as an example.
I would rather you not couch it in terms of the insane Republicans that are currently festooning our politics, along with insane democrats. Let's take the issue at face value without any added histrionics and embellishment. Do you think it wise to function within a capless budget, one that has never managed, or within which controls aren't enacted? Let's at least set a baseline. My belief is why we need to expand our budget at times for specific things, it should not be treated as a limitless allocation. They're certainly are things that can be cut from the budget, reasonable things.

You?

Spamature

President
I would rather you not couch it in terms of the insane Republicans that are currently festooning our politics, along with insane democrats. Let's take the issue at face value without any added histrionics and embellishment. Do you think it wise to function within a capless budget, one that has never managed, or within which controls aren't enacted? Let's at least set a baseline. My belief is why we need to expand our budget at times for specific things, it should not be treated as a limitless allocation. They're certainly are things that can be cut from the budget, reasonable things.

You?
I would rather you not pretend they are both the same. That lie hurts us more than anything I can think of because it gives permission to GOP insanity.

The US and Denmark are the only two democracies with a debt ceiling. So unless the rest of the world is insane it's not. Always with the cut, yet outside to emergency spending tax cuts have created 95% of our debt. It is the obvious and natural outcome of cutting revenue and then borrowing at interest from the same bunch who got the lion's shares of those tax cuts, to fill the hole those cuts left.

I think it's a scam.

You ?

It would be even more reasonable to discuss tax increases on the people seeing record shattering profit by inflating their prices especially after all the trillions handed to them to keep them in business. But somehow that is never a part of the debate. Thank one side for that.

Last edited:

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
I would rather you not pretend they are both the same. That lie hurts us more than anything I can think of because it gives permission to GOP insanity.

The US and Denmark are the only two democracies with a debt ceiling. So unless the rest of the world is insane it's not. Always with the cut, yet outside to emergency spending tax cuts have created 95% of our debt. It is the obvious and natural outcome of cutting revenue and then borrowing at interest from the same bunch who got the lion's shares of those tax cuts, to fill the hole those cuts left.

I think it's a scam.

You ?

It would be even more reasonable to discuss tax increases on the people seeing record shattering profit by inflating their prices especially after all the trillions handed to them to keep them in business. But somehow that is never a part of the debate. Thank one side for that.
Denmark maintains something like a 36% debt to gdp ratio... and.. the average Dane pays some 45% tax rate. (On something like average earnings of $45,000.). While I don't agree that companies should be paying more, to your point, what's never part of the debate here is paying higher taxes across the board. Everybody needs skin in the game simple as that. Not to mention responsible managed fiscal policy and not simply giving everybody everything.

Spamature

President
Denmark maintains something like a 36% debt to gdp ratio... and.. the average Dane pays some 45% tax rate. (On something like average earnings of $45,000.). While I don't agree that companies should be paying more, to your point, what's never part of the debate here is paying higher taxes across the board. Everybody needs skin in the game simple as that. Not to mention responsible managed fiscal policy and not simply giving everybody everything.
And a lot are getting skinned by the game.
Who do you think inflation hits the hardest ?
You've seen the distribution of wealth charts for this country.
Top 1% has more to tax than the bottom 90%.
Tax cuts are spending when it come to the budget's bottom line.
When they raised the age for SS that was and will be a spending cut to every single America worker. But we know it those at the bottom who will feel the pain from it in both a working longer and getting less in return for the jobs that SOMEBODY had to do regardless.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
And a lot are getting skinned by the game.
Who do you think inflation hits the hardest ?
You've seen the distribution of wealth charts for this country.
Top 1% has more to tax than the bottom 90%.
Tax cuts are spending when it come to the budget's bottom line.
When they raised the age for SS that was and will be a spending cut to every single America worker. But we know it those at the bottom who will feel the pain from it in both a working longer and getting less in return for the jobs that SOMEBODY had to do regardless.
That's all well understood. But I thought what you and I were just discussing was the debt ceiling and responsible management of it. We're not? The fact of the matter is that there's a top 1% in Denmark as well, but in Denmark all of their citizens understand that in order to have what they want, plentiful social services, a robust budget that maintains their needs, education, and so on is that everybody has to participate. Namely in the form of a 45% tax bracket for everyone. They also have strata of earners do they not?

Spamature

President
That's all well understood. But I thought what you and I were just discussing was the debt ceiling and responsible management of it. We're not? The fact of the matter is that there's a top 1% in Denmark as well, but in Denmark all of their citizens understand that in order to have what they want, plentiful social services, a robust budget that maintains their needs, education, and so on is that everybody has to participate. Namely in the form of a 45% tax bracket for everyone. They also have strata of earners do they not?
If we are discussing the debt ceiling only then the only thing to say is abide by the agreement you made or you are a POS who is in the wrong. This had been dealt with months ago. How can anyone have any confidence in making agreements with people who do this ?

As for Denmark vs the US.
The income inequality difference is stark

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
If we are discussing the debt ceiling only then the only thing to say is abide by the agreement you made or you are a POS who is in the wrong. This had been dealt with months ago. How can anyone have any confidence in making agreements with people who do this ?

As for Denmark vs the US.
The income inequality difference is stark

In any event.. Denmark exercises fiscal responsibility. We do not.

The citizens of Denmark pay high taxes..all of them. Why? Because then they all may enjoy robust social services and a high standard of living

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

If you can't repay don't borrow money
What was the American way

RickWA

Snagglesooth
In any event.. Denmark exercises fiscal responsibility. We do not.

The citizens of Denmark pay high taxes..all of them. Why? Because then they all may enjoy robust social services and a high standard of living
Your patience is at once admirable and amusing. This poster, spamature - as with middleview, Bugsy, and a few others - will never acquiesce nor admit imperfection among Democrat pols and polices. They are functionally party “bots” and are entirely worthless as posters. There are a couple among the right here as well (i.e. those who insist Trump is the greatest president, etc.). It’s all so stupid. I’m talking “special needs” levels here.

Good luck.

justoffal

Senator
Stick to objective economic metrics and answer that question - jobs growth, unemployment rate, economic growth, the markets, real estate.

As with prior Dem presidents in recent years - Clinton and Obama - the economy is truly extraordinary, while GOP cultists just chant “The economy sucks!” But can anyone look to the objective economic metrics and make the case that the economy is anything but roaring? Methinks not.
There are no perfectly objective metrics....and inflation is far from the only financial shackle faced by the median income average American.
While it can be said that dollar value is stable right now dollar efficiency sucks. Separate them if you please to make a political analysisis...but the wallets of American consumers don't have that luxury.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Your patience is at once admirable and amusing. This poster, spamature - as with middleview, Bugsy, and a few others - will never acquiesce nor admit imperfection among Democrat pols and polices. They are functionally party “bots” and are entirely worthless as posters. There are a couple among the right here as well (i.e. those who insist Trump is the greatest president, etc.). It’s all so stupid. I’m talking “special needs” levels here.

Good luck.
Just “a couple” among the right.

Yer a hoot.

;-)

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member

Good luck.
I know.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Just “a couple” among the right.

Yer a hoot.

;-)
As opposed to Botsy McGurk ever citing even a single one, correct, automaton? You’ve never offered even one…yet your hackery demands that you quibble about a couple or few or whatever…yes? Correct?