• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

It's sad, this used to be

middleview

President
Supporting Member
A great place to hang out... Now it's a 3WSH

I Lived in Santa Monica for a while and the park overlooking the pier from the top of the cliff has become a no man's land. In 1978 I used to run along that path every morning. Now I wouldn't go there without a bodyguard. I went there and stayed at an upscale hotel across the street and couldn't walk down the block to go to a restaurant without being accosted for spare change.

Clearly southern California has become a magnet for the homeless from around the country. Too cold in South Dakota....LA is warm. Too rainy in Georgia...sunny in Santa Monica.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
I Lived in Santa Monica for a while and the park overlooking the pier from the top of the cliff has become a no man's land. In 1978 I used to run along that path every morning. Now I wouldn't go there without a bodyguard. I went there and stayed at an upscale hotel across the street and couldn't walk down the block to go to a restaurant without being accosted for spare change.

Clearly southern California has become a magnet for the homeless from around the country. Too cold in South Dakota....LA is warm. Too rainy in Georgia...sunny in Santa Monica.
Too cold & rainy is the reason? Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle all say “hi”.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Too cold & rainy is the reason? Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle all say “hi”.
Have you lived in San Fran? There is a small area where homelessness is a big problem....If you go south of Colma the homelessness is far more evident.

Miami says hi back atcha.

1620572602351.png

middleview

President
Supporting Member
By the way...I've lived in SF and Seattle...neither has experienced weeks of sub freezing weather. Where would you rather be, Anchorage or Portland? Helena or Seattle?

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Have you lived in San Fran? There is a small area where homelessness is a big problem....If you go south of Colma the homelessness is far more evident.

Miami says hi back atcha.

View attachment 62932
Yes. Lived there. Son lives there now. Live in the Portland area now. Lived/grew up/went to school in the Seattle area and the Bay Area. Weather is NOT a chief factor by any means - tolerance of trespassing, soliciting, larsony, panhandling, general enablement in the form of free stuff/handouts including syringes, etc. - - THESE are the things that encourage pilgrimage... as does a local culture of slacking and non-accountability (i.e. these places not only have a relatively high number of non-local homeless, but local ones as well).

You really can’t assign this to weather - even if your agenda requires it to be some external non-governmental unaccountable entity. That’s neither factual nor rational. There is positively no argument on this point.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Yes. Lived there. Son lives there now. Live in the Portland area now. Lived/grew up/went to school in the Seattle area and the Bay Area. Weather is NOT a chief factor by any means - tolerance of trespassing, soliciting, larsony, panhandling, general enablement in the form of free stuff/handouts including syringes, etc. - - THESE are the things that encourage pilgrimage... as does a local culture of slacking and non-accountability (i.e. these places not only have a relatively high number of non-local homeless, but local ones as well).

You really can’t assign this to weather - even if your agenda requires it to be some external non-governmental unaccountable entity. That’s neither factual nor rational. There is positively no argument on this point.
Compare that to Miami's most recent actions making it a crime to be poor.

They evicted people from their tent encampments, allowing them to take only what they could carry....they used front end loaders and dump trucks confiscate their belongings and will now issue fines to anyone who feeds more than 25 people. Where would you go if you'd lost your job, run out of savings and had your home foreclosed? What if you were in over your head due to health care costs and had covid?

Hoover called out the army to evict the homeless from a tent city during the depression. Should the republican party propose doing the same?

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Compare that to Miami's most recent actions making it a crime to be poor.

They evicted people from their tent encampments, allowing them to take only what they could carry....they used front end loaders and dump trucks confiscate their belongings and will now issue fines to anyone who feeds more than 25 people. Where would you go if you'd lost your job, run out of savings and had your home foreclosed? What if you were in over your head due to health care costs and had covid?

Hoover called out the army to evict the homeless from a tent city during the depression. Should the republican party propose doing the same?

Why are you changing the subject? I care nothing at all about “the Republican Party”. Whatever Miami does is rather up to it’s citizens and the State of Florida. That several constantly cold, soaking wet cities are among the worst in chronic homelessness, “tent cities”, and syringe-paved streets would seem to indicate that the issue cannot be attributed to just ‘good weather’.

Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco - three major cities with which I am intimately familiar - with literally several decades of data points - are awash in simply catastrophic, crisis-level homelessness and brutally-aggressive panhandling. It is awful - and it is not improving. It is spreading in terms of geographic footprint as well as headcount.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Why are you changing the subject? I care nothing at all about “the Republican Party”. Whatever Miami does is rather up to it’s citizens and the State of Florida. That several constantly cold, soaking wet cities are among the worst in chronic homelessness, “tent cities”, and syringe-paved streets would seem to indicate that the issue cannot be attributed to just ‘good weather’.

Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco - three major cities with which I am intimately familiar - with literally several decades of data points - are awash in simply catastrophic, crisis-level homelessness and brutally-aggressive panhandling. It is awful - and it is not improving. It is spreading in terms of geographic footprint as well as headcount.
1. I didn't say that weather was the only issue. I pointed out the facts related to the treatment of the homeless in Miami...Are you in favor of criminalizing homelessness.
In a survey of Birmingham Al, homeless about 20% were veterans who had simply not managed to re-enter civilian life.
2. The cities you mention are not subject to freezing cold weather for weeks on end.
LA county has 66,000 homeless. Seattle has 11,000 and Portland has 14,000. SF County has about 8,000.

"Brutally agressive" panhandling? Yup...they're desperate. I'm not defending when they resort to crime...I'm understanding the situation. What is your solution.

TheTrueRepublican

Council Member
We should ship homeless people to red states where they can find abundance in minimum wage jobs and be able to afford housing in small rural towns. Where their proud Christian neighbors will take care of them. While curing them of their drug habits and mental disorders. Just make sure you hide the opiates.

Mick

The Right is always right
We should ship homeless people to red states where they can find abundance in minimum wage jobs and be able to afford housing in small rural towns.
Or big cities where they can continue to contribute to the poverty, welfare abuse, and high crime rates, truefool?

Mick

A great place to hang out... Now it's a 3WSH

Yikes. Sounds like what happened to many American cities after Democrats took control. Cesspools of poverty, homelessness, crime. 3rd world hell.

Mick

“Extensive evidence shows that poverty is more prevalent in rural compared to urban areas”
A state like California when one takes into account supplemental poverty rates:
Poverty in California - Public Policy Institute of California (ppic.org)

Highest rates in places like Los Angeles and San Diego counties. The lowest counties all voted for Donald Trump.

White and wealthy voters gave victory to Donald Trump, exit polls show | US elections 2016 | The Guardian

Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden crushed Trump among the poorest voters in both 2016 and 2020. They also won handily among criminals, welfare abusers, etc.

Are you just humiliated by your own scum or not very bright? The poorest, scummiest voters are left wingers....and it isn't close.