• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Just looked up our ballots here in Oregon. Wife and I voted 10/28, and I hand-delivered ballots same day to the drop box at city hall

RickWA

Snagglesooth
So what is your point - they got rid of the old security envelopes and used the outer envelopes for the same purpose - are you claiming that they did something wrong.

The fact is that you just want to whine - if they had said that they knew that your vote was counted you'd call it crooked because it would have enabled them to connect your vote with your name, ie - they'd know how you voted.

You republicans had no problem with mail in voting until you needed a scapegoat for why you lose elections.
Are you dense? I already noted - in the very post to which you responded - that my vote here is essentially a throwaway anyway. Does that ring a bell at all? Lordy.

No, the point is that we are regressing rather than progressing. We can’t administer elections as well or as timely has we have in other eras. We routinely run out of things (like amoxicillin and baby formula) in ways that we never used to. Downhill, baby. We are in decline.

Remember when kids used to shoot each other up in schools in the ‘70s and ‘80s? Yeah…me neither.

So…the latest datapoint is that I can no longer log into the web utility we’ve used for YEARS to confirm our votes were counted. Because…excellence in governance!

You sound just like Bugsy with the robotic excuse-making and reflexive status-quo apologetics. We should all demand better. This stuff is bs.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Ugh...ok...

Has it become more or less pedestrian to count votes these days then that time when we were hanging on Chads for weeks on end...

Those were the days of efficiency huh?
Wow…an Election 2000 one-state one off, eh Phil? Solid day’s work, my man.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Lemme guess...no good... But ok ...

At least I produced something factual.

Talk about a days work..huh ...
Lots of things cited are factual. You know…like the aforementioned shortages and inability to meet demand on even routine, pedestrian items, diminished capability to count and track votes, etc. Or did you think these were “opinion”.

Hey Al, Laxault showed some class and conceded to Cortez-Masto…..Good on him….Let’s wait and see if Kari has any class at all….
She won by approx 5K votes. That just so happens to be the same number of votes that had to be cured in Clark county for no signature on the mail in ballots. funny that...

Jack4freedom

Governor
Doesn't appear the fat lady has sang yet

Not Ariz-over yet: Kari Lake defeat might not be final for days to come (msn.com)

Of course she probably will sink as Trumps other ducks did
I don’t think there are enough votes left to be counted for Lake to catch up. Republican Bill Gates was in charge of Maricopa County election and supervised the count. Looks like Kari came up a bit short 8,000 -10,000…..I predict she will have her own show on NewsMax or some other right wing “News” source. She’s an experienced TV personality and pretty damn good looking broad at 50…..You can bet she will land on her feet. She has a great following among the GOP faithful.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of things cited are factual. You know…like the aforementioned shortages and inability to meet demand on even routine, pedestrian items, diminished capability to count and track votes, etc. Or did you think these were “opinion”.
Amoxicillin has been short for some time.

I'm not in need of Adderall, you?

Jack4freedom

Governor
I am in favor of any technological improvements regarding election security and vote counting. Thumbprints, scanners to check ballots more quickly, checking and verifying early and mail in votes as they are received would be helpful in speeding up the counting process and eliminating fraud. Hopefully members of both parties can work together to tighten up and make elections more efficient and secure.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
I am in favor of any technological improvements regarding election security and vote counting. Thumbprints, scanners to check ballots more quickly, checking and verifying early and mail in votes as they are received would be helpful in speeding up the counting process and eliminating fraud. Hopefully members of both parties can work together to tighten up and make elections more efficient and secure.
Ok by me. I’m also in favor of competent people administering same…and an electorate that DEMANDS it. :)

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I don’t think there are enough votes left to be counted for Lake to catch up. Republican Bill Gates was in charge of Maricopa County election and supervised the count. Looks like Kari came up a bit short 8,000 -10,000…..I predict she will have her own show on NewsMax or some other right wing “News” source. She’s an experienced TV personality and pretty damn good looking broad at 50…..You can bet she will land on her feet. She has a great following among the GOP faithful.
Have no idea, just no as red wave polls all should wait until it's offical to start bragging

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
It still hasn’t shown as “counted”. We follow up every year and have always been able to confirm them. It’s odd.

Granted, in this state our votes on candidates and ballot measures are generally “throwaways” as we’re so out of step with Oregon’s political majority - but this is really troubling. How is it that we’ve all become so backward? Everything now seems to pose a challenge in America. A bloody amoxycillin shortage? Are you kidding?!!

We are NOT progressing - that is objectively true.
Precisely! Like my, well, discouraging experience with the geriatric poll workers in my district and the less than reassuring "stick your ballot in the trash can and just trust us" attitude, if there isn't fraud afoot then there's more than enough gross incompetence in the process to warrant scrapping it and going with something else. If the scanning machine isn't actually scanning the votes, then when they open up the trash someone can swap out as many ballots as they want. And the more time we give them, the more ballots they can "exchange." And the count still looks accurate.

We had a historically unpopular POTUS with a laughable dunce VP, after two years of Democratic overreach (read: authoritarianism) at all levels, horrible economic conditions, crime out of control, overrun with illegals bringing in fentanyl that kills 100,000 of our young people each year, and the threat of nuclear war hanging over our heads. The idea that the Democrats outperformed in all historical contexts doesn't pass the smell test.

I am not encouraged.

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
Jack, meet @middleview - he has some swampy election assurances he will let you have really cheap.

EatTheRich

President
Interesting. @middleview constantly harps on the notion that it would be impossible to add fraudulent mail-in ballots into the pristine voting process due to special paper, serial numbers, etc. What if they just ignore a sufficient number of legit opposition ballots to ensure the "right candidate" wins? How would anyone know?
That’s the “voter suppression” we keep pointing out. It works to the benefit of the more elite party (the Republicans, generally) because the state and ruling class find it easier to suppress the votes of the oppressed masses that tend to support the party of the controlled opposition.

EatTheRich

President
And how would that work? You'd have to open the envelope to know who the vote was for. Then you end up with a count of ballots received, but a different number from those tabulated. You would also end up with a voter database out of wack, with a different count of ballots cast, because that record is updated before the envelope is opened.
All they have to do is get the ballots declared invalid because they have the wrong date on the postmark or because the signature doesn’t look good to them. They don’t have to know who each individual ballot is for … if they suppress the vote of working-class, student, and minority districts, statistically the Republican Party will have an advantage as a result.

EatTheRich

President
Yes, childhood illnesses are a thing we could not have foreseen after the start of school in September and we proceed to the colder, indoor Fall months. We’re blazing new ground here. :-/

Good grief. America is objectively WORSE at meeting even pedestrian tasks like counting votes and reporting outcomes on a timely basis, ensuring baby formula and tampons are in shelves, and manufacture of the VERY common “swiss army knife” of antibiotics is large demand EVERY October through March.

Who could possibly have known? I guess we’re back to Bugsy’s “crystal ball” baloney.
Capitalism is failing and dragging the leading capitalist power down with it in a spectacular way.

EatTheRich

President
Trump had nothing to do with this, this is all on lefty.
You’re telling me the guy who campaigned on opposition to the bill of rights and separation of powers, said he would only honor an election if he won, called for assassins to take out his political rivals including judges and members of the press, attacked judges and members of Congress as enemies of the country based on their race, called for more police brutality, encouraged violent rightist and fascist pogroms, and then organized a violent attempt to obstruct the peaceful transition of power to the lawful election winner has nothing to do with the shitshow that has become of elections?

Boca

Governor
Yeah, cuz nobody knows how to secure database files, right?

That is why it is best you keep your money under your mattress, cut up credit cards and don't buy stocks.
Well they think so of course, but there are folks out there called hackers.

Top 7 events

1. Yahoo!
Yahoo’s epic, historic data breach in 2013 compromised 3 billion people in total. The company revealed in 2017 that the accounts for every single customer during that time had been breached, including users of Tumblr and Flickr.

Altaba, what’s left of Yahoo after the company sold most of its properties to Verizon, paid $35 million last year to settle charges that it misled investors about the hack.

2. First American
First American Financial Corp., an American real estate and mortgage insurer, revealed in May 2019 that it left 900 million sensitive customer files exposed.

The trove of digital documents that could have been accessed included private information, such as Social Security numbers and bank accounts. But it’s not clear if any of the files were improperly accessed.

3. Facebook
In April, researchers discovered a vast collection of data on Facebook users was publicly exposed on Amazon’s cloud computing servers.

Two third-party Facebook (FB) app developers were found to have stored user data on Amazon’s servers in a manner that allowed it to be downloaded by the public, according to a report from UpGuard, a cybersecurity firm.

It was one of many data breaches that Facebook has announced over the years. The Federal Trade Commission announced last week a $5 billion settlement with the company over how the company lost control over massive troves of personal data and mishandled its communications with users.

4. Marriott
Marriott (MAR) said last year that someone had gained “unauthorized access” to its guest reservations system for nearly five years. Approximately 500 million guests’ information could have been accessed, which includes names, passport numbers and credit card details.

The hotel chain faces a $124 million fine for failing to protect customer data from UK regulators under Europe’s tough new privacy rules, called General new privacy rules, called General Data Protection Regulation.

5. Adult FriendFinder
Swinger website Adult FriendFinder said in 2016 that as many as 412 million users had their personal information exposed — the company’s second hack in a year.

6. Equifax
Equifax (EFX) disclosed in 2017 that personal information of as many as 143 million people was compromised. This breach was particularly alarming as Equifax (EFX) is one of the major companies that tracks credit histories of almost all Americans and sell that sensitive information to banks, credit card companies and other clients.

The company recently reached a deal to pay up to $700 million to state and federal regulators to settle probes related to the incident, the largest settlement ever paid for a data breach.

7. Capital One
A hacker named Paige Thompson is accused of breaking into a Capital One (COF) server and gaining access to 140,000 Social Security numbers, 1 million Canadian Social Insurance numbers and 80,000 bank account numbers, in addition to an undisclosed number of people’s names, addresses, credit scores, credit limits, balances and other information, according to the bank and a US Department of Justice complaint filed Monday.

In total, more than 100 million Capital One customers’ accounts could have been compromised.

Where there's a will there's away and no doubt one could be hired for a price given the ready money in Democrat campaign coffers.

Last edited:

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Well they think so of course, but there are folks out there called hackers.

Top 7 events

1. Yahoo!
Yahoo’s epic, historic data breach in 2013 compromised 3 billion people in total. The company revealed in 2017 that the accounts for every single customer during that time had been breached, including users of Tumblr and Flickr.

Altaba, what’s left of Yahoo after the company sold most of its properties to Verizon, paid $35 million last year to settle charges that it misled investors about the hack.

2. First American
First American Financial Corp., an American real estate and mortgage insurer, revealed in May 2019 that it left 900 million sensitive customer files exposed.

The trove of digital documents that could have been accessed included private information, such as Social Security numbers and bank accounts. But it’s not clear if any of the files were improperly accessed.

3. Facebook
In April, researchers discovered a vast collection of data on Facebook users was publicly exposed on Amazon’s cloud computing servers.

Two third-party Facebook (FB) app developers were found to have stored user data on Amazon’s servers in a manner that allowed it to be downloaded by the public, according to a report from UpGuard, a cybersecurity firm.

It was one of many data breaches that Facebook has announced over the years. The Federal Trade Commission announced last week a $5 billion settlement with the company over how the company lost control over massive troves of personal data and mishandled its communications with users.

4. Marriott
Marriott (MAR) said last year that someone had gained “unauthorized access” to its guest reservations system for nearly five years. Approximately 500 million guests’ information could have been accessed, which includes names, passport numbers and credit card details.

The hotel chain faces a $124 million fine for failing to protect customer data from UK regulators under Europe’s tough new privacy rules, called General new privacy rules, called General Data Protection Regulation.

5. Adult FriendFinder
Swinger website Adult FriendFinder said in 2016 that as many as 412 million users had their personal information exposed — the company’s second hack in a year.

6. Equifax
Equifax (EFX) disclosed in 2017 that personal information of as many as 143 million people was compromised. This breach was particularly alarming as Equifax (EFX) is one of the major companies that tracks credit histories of almost all Americans and sell that sensitive information to banks, credit card companies and other clients.

The company recently reached a deal to pay up to $700 million to state and federal regulators to settle probes related to the incident, the largest settlement ever paid for a data breach.

7. Capital One
A hacker named Paige Thompson is accused of breaking into a Capital One (COF) server and gaining access to 140,000 Social Security numbers, 1 million Canadian Social Insurance numbers and 80,000 bank account numbers, in addition to an undisclosed number of people’s names, addresses, credit scores, credit limits, balances and other information, according to the bank and a US Department of Justice complaint filed Monday.

In total, more than 100 million Capital One customers’ accounts could have been compromised.

Where there's a will there's away and no doubt one could be hired for a price given the ready money in Democrat campaign coffers.
What you miss is that those were files that were read by hackers. Not updated. There is a difference. Now go find an instance where someone was able to update voter data base records.