• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Justice for James Byrd Jr.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
James Byrd, a Black man, was lynched by being chained to the back of a truck and drug to death. This horrific crime occurred on June 7, 1998 in Jasper, Texas. The murderers were Shawn Berry, Lawrence Brewer and John King. They drug James Bryd for three miles; his body was in tatters by the time they dumped him outside of a cemetery in Jasper.
Lawrence Brewer was executed by lethal injection on September 21, 2011. John King was executed by lethal injection, also, on April 24, 2019. Shawn Berry was sentenced to life imprisonment and will be eligible for parole in 2038.
I'm glad Mr. Byrd's family can finally have some kind of closure.

Last edited:

Jen

Senator
I agree, but it took too long.

Every person who commits a heinous crime like that deserves the ultimate price - regardless of the skin color of the killer or the killed.

EatTheRich

President
The proper punishment for this crime in my opinion is life without parole. When we let the government impose the death penalty we create an incentive to frame dissidents, we brutalize the populace, and we encourage terrorism stemming from revulsion and general violence by example.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
The proper punishment for this crime in my opinion is life without parole. When we let the government impose the death penalty we create an incentive to frame dissidents, we brutalize the populace, and we encourage terrorism stemming from revulsion and general violence by example.
@EatTheRich, are you against the death penalty even for people who kill judges or policemen?

dudleysharp

Council Member
The law in my state of California requires the death penalty for anyone who murders a judge or policemen. I was just curious about whether @EatTheRich agreed with that law.
The legal theory behind that is that the murder is an attack on the law and society, at large and is, therefore, a greater threat to all, as opposed to the harm done to other individuals.

I understand the logic bit could see how some may disagree.