• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

LOL! Whatta you know - wearing a mask DOES make a difference...

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
The peer-reviewed study, published in the journal Epidemiology and Infection on Nov. 13, analyzed mask use among 3,209 individuals from Norway. Researchers followed them for 17 days, and then asked the participants about their use of masks. The team found that there was a higher incidence of testing positive for COVID-19 among people who used masks more frequently.

Among individuals who “never or almost never” wore masks, 8.6 percent tested positive. That rose to 15 percent among participants who “sometimes” used masks, and to 15.1 percent among those who “almost always or always” wore them.

Adjusting for factors such as vaccination status, the study determined that individuals who sometimes or often wore masks had a 33 percent higher incidence of COVID-19, compared to those who never or almost never wore masks. This jumped to 40 percent among people who almost always or always wore them.

Hahahahahahahaha!

The peer-reviewed study, published in the journal Epidemiology and Infection on Nov. 13, analyzed mask use among 3,209 individuals from Norway. Researchers followed them for 17 days, and then asked the participants about their use of masks. The team found that there was a higher incidence of testing positive for COVID-19 among people who used masks more frequently.

Among individuals who “never or almost never” wore masks, 8.6 percent tested positive. That rose to 15 percent among participants who “sometimes” used masks, and to 15.1 percent among those who “almost always or always” wore them.

Adjusting for factors such as vaccination status, the study determined that individuals who sometimes or often wore masks had a 33 percent higher incidence of COVID-19, compared to those who never or almost never wore masks. This jumped to 40 percent among people who almost always or always wore them.

Hahahahahahahaha!
this seems counter intuitive - not a criticism of your post or link, though. thanks for posting.

did the researchers come up with a theory as to WHY mask wearers are more easily infected, even after accounting for vaccination rates? I'd be extremely interested in this, and whether it applies to other diseases which the NIH suggests mask-wearing to prevent.

middleview

President
Supporting Member

Hahahahahahahaha!
Zerohedge....hahaha...

worldlymrb

Revenge
did the researchers come up with a theory as to WHY mask wearers are more easily infected, even after accounting for vaccination rates? I'd be extremely interested in this, and whether it applies to other diseases which the NIH suggests mask-wearing to prevent.
The COVID/FLU virus is so incredibly small, it is the equivalent of using a chain link fence trying to stop mosquitos from entering your property. However, the masks are effective at blocking higher levels of CO2 you normally breath out which reduces the amount of oxygen in your blood and that reduces the auto immune system ability to fight infections.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Still a bitter clinger to the corporate mockingbird media and their CIA talking points I see.
better to get your news from Tyler Durden...hell, the guy won't even admit who he is.

Overall, we rate ZeroHedge an extreme right-biased conspiracy website based on the promotion of false/misleading/debunked information that routinely denigrates the left.

Detailed Report

Bias Rating: RIGHT CONSPIRACY/PSEUDOSCIENCE
Factual Reporting: LOW
MBFC’s Country Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY

Last edited:

middleview

President
Supporting Member

Hahahahahahahaha!
From the study...page 3
We believe the observed increased incidence of infection associated 11 with wearing a face mask is likely due to unobservable and hence nonadjustable differences between those wearing and not wearing a mask. Observational studies reporting on the relationship between face mask use and risk of respiratory infections should be interpreted cautiously, and more randomized trials are needed.

Xu et al found a manyfold increase in risk of infection among the participants who reported not wearing a face mask [8]. In a similar study by Kwon et al self-reported ‘always’ use of face mask outside the home was associated with around a 65% reduced risk of predicted COVID-1

Masks may have at least two types of effects on SARS-CoV-2 transmission. Wearing a mask by an infected individual may prevent spread to others (source control). Wearing a mask may also protect the wearers (protective effect)

During the study period, the recommendation to wear a face mask changed in Norway. After arrival of the omicron variant in November 2021, public health measures were reintroduced to suppress the epidemic, but were then gradually lifted between January 13 and February 12, 2022. This was followed by a huge wave of intensive viral transmission and record levels of hospitalizations for COVID-19 during January–April. Pre-February 12, 2022 .

Zam-Zam

Senator
Zerohedge....hahaha...
Or...Straight from the source:

208 Discussion 209 In this cross-sectional study of 3231 participants, we observed that persons reporting to wear a 210 face mask sometimes/often or almost always/always had a 33% (95% CI 3% to 72%) and 211 40% (95% CI 8% to 82%) higher incidence of self-reported COVID-19 compared to those 212 wearing face masks never or almost never, adjusting for available, relevant confounders.

association-between-face-mask-use-and-risk-of-sars-cov-2-infection-cross-sectional-study.pdf (cambridge.org)

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Or...Straight from the source:

208 Discussion 209 In this cross-sectional study of 3231 participants, we observed that persons reporting to wear a 210 face mask sometimes/often or almost always/always had a 33% (95% CI 3% to 72%) and 211 40% (95% CI 8% to 82%) higher incidence of self-reported COVID-19 compared to those 212 wearing face masks never or almost never, adjusting for available, relevant confounders.

association-between-face-mask-use-and-risk-of-sars-cov-2-infection-cross-sectional-study.pdf (cambridge.org)
My post #9 was also from the source. The problem is that Tyler skims through the report and selects a few facts and ignores the rest. Read the media bias fact check. The number of failed fact checks is big.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
and many that did wear mask daily are saying they are having breathing problems

I laugh at an Ol' Maid down the road, she lives alone and wears a mask to her mail box!
It's possible, your neighbor could be wearing the mask because she has some allergies due to all the pollen still hanging around. :)

Zam-Zam

Senator
My post #9 was also from the source. The problem is that Tyler skims through the report and selects a few facts and ignores the rest. Read the media bias fact check. The number of failed fact checks is big.
Normally, when a media piece cites a source, it is better to check the source. That's as true for "zero hedge" as it is for the NY Times.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
It's possible, your neighbor could be wearing the mask because she has some allergies due to all the pollen still hanging around. :)
Could be but she's in her 80's and never wore mask bedoe Covid

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Normally, when a media piece cites a source, it is better to check the source. That's as true for "zero hedge" as it is for the NY Times.
Agreed. I find many times it is the interpretation of the information that is subject to question. That is the case with Zero and this study.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Okay... maybe she happened to notice after wearing a mask during Covid it also helped to filter out lots of dust and pollen. :)
Could be, I understand her wearing a mask when she mows her yard
One can only guess why, her sister that's older and live just up the road from her doesn't wear mask?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
The COVID/FLU virus is so incredibly small, it is the equivalent of using a chain link fence trying to stop mosquitos from entering your property. However, the masks are effective at blocking higher levels of CO2 you normally breath out which reduces the amount of oxygen in your blood and that reduces the auto immune system ability to fight infections.
The virus is attached to saliva particles...Do you have a source that shows a lower blood oxygen level where the individual is wearing a mask.

I had been vaccinated and gotten the booster. I was convinced we were safe and stopped wearing a mask....that is when I got covid. Luckily the vaccine made my experience pretty mild. Paxlovid made the symptoms gone in three days.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Could be, I understand her wearing a mask when she mows her yard
One can only guess why, her sister that's older and live just up the road from her doesn't wear mask?
True, we can only guess why.

I know this is off topic. Your post about these sister neighbors of yours made me think of the Baldwin sisters on the old Waltons TV show. :)
Their tales about their father's secret recipe was always funny.

Your sister neighbors are probably nothing like them... but I did enjoy watching The Waltons years ago.
3b194a2f644cb3e0cf195d4e0729034c.jpg

Zam-Zam

Senator
Agreed. I find many times it is the interpretation of the information that is subject to question. That is the case with Zero and this study.
To their credit, they did provide a direct link to the source material. That is not always the case.