• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

LOL! Whatta you know - wearing a mask DOES make a difference...

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
I noticed the study didn't discuss the type of mask worn.

In one study, the researchers sought to determine whether alternatives to high-efficiency N95 masks reserved for health care workers could offer similar protection for hospital personnel in the event of shortages. They tested the filtration ability of expired N95 masks, N95 masks that had been sterilized for reuse, and dozens of other face mask alternatives. The results show that both expired N95 masks and sterilized N95 masks provided the same level of protection as new N95 masks with greater than 95 percent filtration. Other alternatives provided less protection. For example, surgical masks with ties provided 71.5 percent filtration, while surgical masks with ear loops only provided 38.1 percent. Knowing the relative performance of alternatives to new N95 masks will help hospital administrators make evidence-based decisions to protect their staff.

In another study, the researchers examined the filtration ability of a variety of medical procedure masks, cloth masks and coverings recommended for the public. They tested masks made from cotton, nylon, and other materials and in different styles, including masks with ear loops and ties.

They found that the effectiveness of the masks varied widely: a three-layer knitted cotton mask blocked an average of 26.5 percent of particles in the chamber, while a washed, two-layer woven nylon mask with a filter insert and metal nose bridge blocked 79 percent of particles on average. Other masks scored somewhere in between.

EPA Researchers Test Effectiveness of Face Masks, Disinfection Methods Against COVID-19 | US EPA

How would a mask rate an N95 classification if it didn't stop 95% of contaminants?

Comprehensive Mask Testing – Armbrust American (armbrustusa.com)
Particles of what? 95% of what?

N95 is good down to .3m but the problem is that the virus particles are a fraction of that size.

And as the head of UK health security suggested, if the virus is attached to larger particles that do get trapped by the n95 mask, you are then breathing through a contaminated mask all day, almost certainly blowing virus particles out into the air around you. Face it, masking is an ideological response to covid, not a scientific one.

Raoul_Luke

You equate public health policy as fascism? So is it fascists inspecting my restaurant?
If their draconian rules are arbitrarily based on political rather than scientific data, then yeah, they kind of are. Your "immaculate" bureaucrat caricature notwithstanding.

Raoul_Luke

So Raoul brings up masks...and that is a good thing....not being obsessive at all...I responded and somehow that is.
I'm not being "obsessive" about masks - I'm being obsessive about the petty authoritarianism of masking mandates.

Raoul_Luke

Seems you have the reading comprehension problem. We were getting advice from qualified doctors and scientists. You were getting advice from quacks and hacks like Tyler Durden.
Zerohedge cited a peer reviewed study and quoted the head of health security in Great Britain. Why are you always (ALWAYS) gaslighting every issue around here?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

Raoul_Luke

The facts show you more likely to support any antigovernment opinion over doctors and scientists.
I'm citing scientific studies and the opinions of scientists and physicians. Oh, and simple logic - which suggests that if the virus is too small to get caught in a mask it will escape, and if it is big enough to get caught in a mask, you will now be exhaling those trapped particles with every breath.

Raoul_Luke

If mask are the Magic cure then why didn't the mandated mask at VA assisted living wards not stop covid?
Clearly, because they don't work. Not even in the operating room:

Examination of the literature revealed much of the published work on the matter to be quite dated and often studies had poorly elucidated methodologies. As a result, we recommend caution in extrapolating their findings to contemporary surgical practice. However, overall there is a lack of substantial evidence to support claims that facemasks protect either patient or surgeon from infectious contamination. More rigorous contemporary research is needed to make a definitive comment on the effectiveness of surgical facemasks.

Unmasking the surgeons: the evidence base behind the use of facemasks in surgery - PMC (nih.gov)

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I'm citing scientific studies and the opinions of scientists and physicians. Oh, and simple logic - which suggests that if the virus is too small to get caught in a mask it will escape, and if it is big enough to get caught in a mask, you will now be exhaling those trapped particles with every breath.
I linked to a study of N95 masks that explained how they tested masks for certification. I guess you forgot to read it.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Zerohedge cited a peer reviewed study and quoted the head of health security in Great Britain. Why are you always (ALWAYS) gaslighting every issue around here?
I quoted your source and it was far from certain about the results..
But somehow you and your buddy Tyler interpreted it as proof positive. Did you miss the part about the surge in cases when Norway eased mask requirements?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

Examination of the literature revealed much of the published work on the matter to be quite dated and often studies had poorly elucidated methodologies. As a result, we recommend caution in extrapolating their findings to contemporary surgical practice. However, overall there is a lack of substantial evidence to support claims that facemasks protect either patient or surgeon from infectious contamination. More rigorous contemporary research is needed to make a definitive comment on the effectiveness of surgical facemasks.

Unmasking the surgeons: the evidence base behind the use of facemasks in surgery - PMC (nih.gov)
People Who Followed COVID Recommendations More Likely To Have Mental Health Issues Now (msn.com)

middleview

President
Supporting Member

That "study" doesn't prove shit. It simply says no real evidence exists because existing studies are insufficient.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
If their draconian rules are arbitrarily based on political rather than scientific data, then yeah, they kind of are. Your "immaculate" bureaucrat caricature notwithstanding.
Your misuse of the term draconian aside...the pandemic was real. Qualified experts advised steps to lessen the impact. You accuse them of some dicatorial urge to control you...seek professional help.

middleview

President
Supporting Member

N95 is good down to .3m but the problem is that the virus particles are a fraction of that size.

And as the head of UK health security suggested, if the virus is attached to larger particles that do get trapped by the n95 mask, you are then breathing through a contaminated mask all day, almost certainly blowing virus particles out into the air around you. Face it, masking is an ideological response to covid, not a scientific one.
Where did he mention n95 masks?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
The COVID/FLU virus is so incredibly small, it is the equivalent of using a chain link fence trying to stop mosquitos from entering your property. However, the masks are effective at blocking higher levels of CO2 you normally breath out which reduces the amount of oxygen in your blood and that reduces the auto immune system ability to fight infections.
The virus attaches to water droplets or aerosols (i.e. really small droplets) that are generated by breathing, talking, coughing, etc. These consist of water, mucus protein and other biological material and are all larger than 1 micron.

“Breathing and talking generate particles around 1 micron in size, which will be collected by N95 respirator filters with very high efficiency,” said Lisa Brosseau, a retired professor of environmental and occupational health sciences who spent her career researching respiratory protection.

Fact check: N95 filters are not too large to stop COVID-19 particles (usatoday.com)

middleview

President
Supporting Member

The virus attaches to water droplets or aerosols (i.e. really small droplets) that are generated by breathing, talking, coughing, etc. These consist of water, mucus protein and other biological material and are all larger than 1 micron.

“Breathing and talking generate particles around 1 micron in size, which will be collected by N95 respirator filters with very high efficiency,” said Lisa Brosseau, a retired professor of environmental and occupational health sciences who spent her career researching respiratory protection.

Fact check: N95 filters are not too large to stop COVID-19 particles (usatoday.com)

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think anyone here ever said or advocated that masks, hand sanitizer or vaccines were 100% effective in preventing the spread of Covid-19 or alleviating the symptoms. Anyone that wants to continue to argue that none of those things helped...well...bless your hearts.

middleview

President
Supporting Member

So you write "Clearly they don't work"....but then highlight that statement that there is a lack of evidence and more research is needed.

Your interpretation is the problem....

middleview

President
Supporting Member
LOL! The mask did nothing. I sat in a room 3 feet away from a woman with covid for almost an hour, along with 8 or 9 others, none of us wearing masks, and none of us got it. The social distancing was specious logic too. Do I want to make out with a chick who has covid? Probably not - but it depends on how hot she is. Not. Really. Aerosolized.
I worked for a few hours with four other guys moving furniture....I tested negative that morning, but was positive by the time I tested after we returned the rental truck. All four got covid from me...