• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

LOL! Whatta you know - wearing a mask DOES make a difference...

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
I worked for a few hours with four other guys moving furniture....I tested negative that morning, but was positive by the time I tested after we returned the rental truck. All four got covid from me...
What did you handle that they also handled? Furniture and lamps and stuff maybe? Did you buy them pizza and open the box?

Raoul_Luke

So you write "Clearly they don't work"....but then highlight that statement that there is a lack of evidence and more research is needed.

Your interpretation is the problem....
You can research it all you want. "Clearly" they didn't work in practice or far fewer people would have gotten covid.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
If you (and others), don't like the guy's source then look around and see if you can actually prove it wrong besides not liking that site. I've seen that study posted elsewhere but you need to get out of your box.
As I pointed out...the study was inconclusive and actually cited and incident in Norway where mask requirements were lifted and there was a sudden and huge increase in covid cases....

It is the interpretation of the info in the source that I question....Tyler Durden will twist the information to suit his opinions.

So do you.

Last edited:

middleview

President
Supporting Member
What did you handle that they also handled? Furniture and lamps and stuff maybe? Did you buy them pizza and open the box?
We were carrying furniture and boxes. We were also wearing gloves, but I did lick the handle on the two wheel dolly. :rolleyes:

Moving was on Sunday...by Tuesday all four had covid.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
You can research it all you want. "Clearly" they didn't work in practice or far fewer people would have gotten covid.
From your source...
During the study period, the recommendation to wear a face mask changed in Norway. After arrival of the omicron variant in November 2021, public health measures were reintroduced to suppress the epidemic, but were then gradually lifted between January 13 and February 12, 2022. This was followed by a huge wave of intensive viral transmission and record levels of hospitalizations for COVID-19 during January–April. Pre-February 12, 2022 .

As I posted in the past. A good friend lost her sister to Covid. Her sister heard people like you. Masks don't work. Social distancing is a plot to control us. Vaccines are harmful. She even refused to be hospitalized until she was desperately ill. She refused to be intubated and demanded hydroxychloroquine...she died horribly...

Last edited:

Raoul_Luke

The virus attaches to water droplets or aerosols (i.e. really small droplets) that are generated by breathing, talking, coughing, etc. These consist of water, mucus protein and other biological material and are all larger than 1 micron.

“Breathing and talking generate particles around 1 micron in size, which will be collected by N95 respirator filters with very high efficiency,” said Lisa Brosseau, a retired professor of environmental and occupational health sciences who spent her career researching respiratory protection.

Fact check: N95 filters are not too large to stop COVID-19 particles (usatoday.com)

Respiratory Research seems to think exhaled particles can be much smaller than "around 1 micron in size." And may well be small enough to get through an n95 mask. Especially when, as I explained to you already, every exhalation while wearing an n95 blows your eyelashes around, unless you have it so securely affixed to your face that it becomes unbearable to wear for more than a few minutes.

Again, no one is trying to take away your right to wear a mask. If you think it helps, knock yourself out. But the science is pretty clear that in practice, there is little evidence that they work.

Attachments

Raoul_Luke

From your source...
During the study period, the recommendation to wear a face mask changed in Norway. After arrival of the omicron variant in November 2021, public health measures were reintroduced to suppress the epidemic, but were then gradually lifted between January 13 and February 12, 2022. This was followed by a huge wave of intensive viral transmission and record levels of hospitalizations for COVID-19 during January–April. Pre-February 12, 2022 .
Where does it say (or even suggest) that the two phenomenon were related. Places that were still mandating masks also experienced a "huge wave" of omicron.

Raoul_Luke

I linked to a study of N95 masks that explained how they tested masks for certification. I guess you forgot to read it.
I have never said or suggested that a mask tested under the stringent laboratory conditions proved they don't work. I have merely pointed out that all of the real world evidence suggests that, in practice, they didn't (don't) work. Either because it is more easily transmitted through fomites than the establishment medical community wants to admit, or the masks are incorrectly worn, or the masks once contaminated become enhanced vectors of airborne virus (or all three).

Raoul_Luke

As I pointed out...the study was inconclusive and actually cited and incident in Norway where mask requirements were lifted and there was a sudden and huge increase in covid cases....

It is the interpretation of the info in the source that I question....Tyler Durden will twist the information to suit his opinions.
When exactly are you talking about wrt Norway? I'd like to compare their omicron "surge" with that of countries which maintained their mask mandates.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
I have never said or suggested that a mask tested under the stringent laboratory conditions proved they don't work. I have merely pointed out that all of the real world evidence suggests that, in practice, they didn't (don't) work. Either because it is more easily transmitted through fomites than the establishment medical community wants to admit, or the masks are incorrectly worn, or the masks once contaminated become enhanced vectors of airborne virus (or all three).
So masks worn properly did work....right? "More easily" does not say masks were ineffective. How did the virus get on those surfaces? Oh, because people weren't wearing masks?

None of what you've posted actually argues that nobody should have worn masks.

You tried to say that covid particles were too small to be captured by a mask. I proved that wrong with a link to experts discussing that subject.
You tried to argue that covid particles captured by the mask would somehow be breathed back in by the wearer and now they get covid....holy shit...they already had covid. You also said that covid particles trapped in the mask would eventually be exhaled through the mask and cause covid....but if the person infected was not wearing a mask at all...what would happen?

Your circular arguments don't help your case.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Respiratory Research seems to think exhaled particles can be much smaller than "around 1 micron in size." And may well be small enough to get through an n95 mask. Especially when, as I explained to you already, every exhalation while wearing an n95 blows your eyelashes around, unless you have it so securely affixed to your face that it becomes unbearable to wear for more than a few minutes.

Again, no one is trying to take away your right to wear a mask. If you think it helps, knock yourself out. But the science is pretty clear that in practice, there is little evidence that they work.
In my experience as owner of a restaurant...the masks kept our employees from getting covid. We supplied N95 masks and gave them to customers if requested. We would not serve unmasked individuals and had 99% compliance.

In 2020/2021 we had two employees who were out for 2 weeks for covid. They were infected by their family members while not wearing masks at home. We even offered our employees masks to take home with them.

So is there a benefit to ignoring the advice of the CDC and WHO? Should I tell my cardiologist that some anonymous poster on PJ says I don't need to mask up or pay attention to any other medical advice?

The amount of damage that you and others have done through your alternate therapies and disgusting attacks on people who were medical professionals should make you feel a little bit guilty....I include Trump in that basket of deplorables.

List of unproven methods against COVID-19 - Wikipedia

Raoul_Luke

So masks worn properly did work....right? "More easily" does not say masks were ineffective. How did the virus get on those surfaces? Oh, because people weren't wearing masks?

None of what you've posted actually argues that nobody should have worn masks.

You tried to say that covid particles were too small to be captured by a mask. I proved that wrong with a link to experts discussing that subject.
You tried to argue that covid particles captured by the mask would somehow be breathed back in by the wearer and now they get covid....holy shit...they already had covid. You also said that covid particles trapped in the mask would eventually be exhaled through the mask and cause covid....but if the person infected was not wearing a mask at all...what would happen?

Your circular arguments don't help your case.
No, they could very well have been wearing masks, which became soaked in covid and then touched their (uncomfortable) masks, getting it on their hands before they touched the surface.

And I have provided you with ample examples of "experts" saying the masks (for whatever reason) did not have a material effect on covid transmission.

They are - it is "theory" that they ride around on larger particles. How do we know they don't float around alone in the air? They are too small to be measured.

Nope! I suggested that once saturated, they would begin blowing out covid particles too small to be caught in the mask - or they would handle their masks before opening the door knob which you then grab, before touching YOUR mask, and then, yes, you are breathing it in the rest of the day.

There would be no marked difference in the propensity of those around them to catch covid from them.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
No, they could very well have been wearing masks, which became soaked in covid and then touched their (uncomfortable) masks, getting it on their hands before they touched the surface.

And I have provided you with ample examples of "experts" saying the masks (for whatever reason) did not have a material effect on covid transmission.

They are - it is "theory" that they ride around on larger particles. How do we know they don't float around alone in the air? They are too small to be measured.

Nope! I suggested that once saturated, they would begin blowing out covid particles too small to be caught in the mask - or they would handle their masks before opening the door knob which you then grab, before touching YOUR mask, and then, yes, you are breathing it in the rest of the day.

There would be no marked difference in the propensity of those around them to catch covid from them.
Your links to experts do not confirm your opinion that they didn't work. Only that there should be more research.

I have worn a mask for 10 hours. I did not touch the inside of that mask at any time. How did covid get on the outside of my mask? Oh...from people who were not wearing a mask? Very possible.

Where did covid particles come from that are "floating around"? Oh yeah, people not wearing masks.

Having had a heart attack and gotten advice from my cardiologist, I wore an N95 mask consistently, every time I went out. That included pulling a shift in the restaurant. I only got covid when I assumed the danger had past and I didn't wear a mask.

I asked a couple of friends who had covid what their experience was and they pretty much echoed my experience....they got it when they thought the danger had passed and they were less cautious.

Raoul_Luke

In my experience as owner of a restaurant...the masks kept our employees from getting covid. We supplied N95 masks and gave them to customers if requested. We would not serve unmasked individuals and had 99% compliance.

In 2020/2021 we had two employees who were out for 2 weeks for covid. They were infected by their family members while not wearing masks at home. We even offered our employees masks to take home with them.

So is there a benefit to ignoring the advice of the CDC and WHO? Should I tell my cardiologist that some anonymous poster on PJ says I don't need to mask up or pay attention to any other medical advice?

The amount of damage that you and others have done through your alternate therapies and disgusting attacks on people who were medical professionals should make you feel a little bit guilty....I include Trump in that basket of deplorables.

List of unproven methods against COVID-19 - Wikipedia
Where I work there was a very strict mask mandate and very high compliance ( we have a lot of Biden/Harris number stickers in the employee lot) and we had people getting it left and right. So is there a benefit to following the advice of the CDC and WHO? It doesn't look like it from where I sit.

LOL! As if there hasn't been plenty of evidence that Ivermectin a hydroxychloroquine did in fact have beneficial effects, while early and often intubation most likely caused deaths that could have been avoided. As for "disgusting attacks" on "medical professionals" perhaps you missed the left's systematic attacks on guys like Marty Makary and Jay Bhattacharya. Now that the evidence proves they were right (and your "experts" were wrong, you'd think you might feel a little guilty.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Where I work there was a very strict mask mandate and very high compliance ( we have a lot of Biden/Harris number stickers in the employee lot) and we had people getting it left and right. So is there a benefit to following the advice of the CDC and WHO? It doesn't look like it from where I sit.

LOL! As if there hasn't been plenty of evidence that Ivermectin a hydroxychloroquine did in fact have beneficial effects, while early and often intubation most likely caused deaths that could have been avoided. As for "disgusting attacks" on "medical professionals" perhaps you missed the left's systematic attacks on guys like Marty Makary and Jay Bhattacharya. Now that the evidence proves they were right (and your "experts" were wrong, you'd think you might feel a little guilty.
And you are thinking the only place those people could get covid was at work?
Were those people careful about wearing a mask after they left work?

As I posted, two of my employees got covid from their own family members. My friend's sister got covid from her kindergarten aged grandson. He got sick. She died.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
I just love saying "I told you so." That was even one of my early nics - not sure if you were around back then.
Yep, I remember. My Fray days started in 2000. Back when there were still “conservatives” and “liberals” rather than what we see today.

Raoul_Luke

And you are thinking the only place those people could get covid was at work?
Were those people careful about wearing a mask after they left work?

As I posted, two of my employees got covid from their own family members. My friend's sister got covid from her kindergarten aged grandson. He got sick. She died.
Everyone got it from their family/loved ones (as always with communicable diseases). The idea that you can get it just from being in the vicinity of someone with covid, without sharing some physical connectivity, is a farcical medical tyranny canard.

Yeah, they were (are) certainly more into masking than the average person. I could go into detail but I don't want to reveal too much. Let me just say that where I work is as close to a government bureaucracy as you can get without having a GS assignation. So you betcha that they were (and still are in many cases) masked to the hilt. Many wear the gloves too (and sanitize and distance). So don't sit there and try to tell me they weren't sufficiently compliant with the CDC protocols. You are simply (once again) talking out of your ass.

Yeah, people get sick (and die) all the time. Have you seen the study that suggests that a good portion of the covid deaths were not actually covid caused but rather the result of the intubations that were done early and often. How many of those deaths could have been avoided if the medical establishment had been more willing to consider Ivermectin and/or hydroxychloroquine and/or Zinc & vitamin B, before resorting to shoving a breathing tube down a frail old person's nose and throat? The number would probably stagger you (well, not you but certainly anyone who actually gives a sh*t about the truth).