• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Magothy River Melody

Let me respectfully correct you. Your comment that over 30,000 soldiers died is a common mistake. That figure represents casualties (dead, wounded, captured, and missing) not battle deaths. 6,000 men, from both sides, died at Antietam in that one day battle. This was the greatest loss of life for Americans, since all who died that day were Ameicans. Even the Normandy invasion and the 9/11 attacks did not result in a greater number of deaths on one day, in our entire history.

That battlefield is one of my favorites.

My mistake, I had read that in Shelby Foote's book the Battle of Antietam, I must have misunderstood what the number actually represented. I knew that many died and I also knew that if General McLullen had pursued the Confederates the war may well have ended with that battle, but he chose not to, President Lincoln later relieved him for good for failing to engage the enemy. Antietam was actually three battles and A.P. Hill smashed into the Union forces at the stone bridge, what is amazing is that at the end of the battle no ground was gained by either side. Later a photo exposition was held in New York City titled, " The Dead of Antietam". Five days after the battle Lincoln announced the emancipation proclamation, that freed all of the slaves.

Let me respectfully correct you. Your comment that over 30,000 soldiers died is a common mistake. That figure represents casualties (dead, wounded, captured, and missing) not battle deaths. 6,000 men, from both sides, died at Antietam in that one day battle. This was the greatest loss of life for Americans, since all who died that day were Ameicans. Even the Normandy invasion and the 9/11 attacks did not result in a greater number of deaths on one day, in our entire history.

That battlefield is one of my favorites.

I stand corrected, I had thought I read that number in one of Shelby Foote's books, but I may be wrong.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
My mistake, I had read that in Shelby Foote's book the Battle of Antietam, I must have misunderstood what the number actually represented. I knew that many died and I also knew that if General McLullen had pursued the Confederates the war may well have ended with that battle, but he chose not to, President Lincoln later relieved him for good for failing to engage the enemy. Antietam was actually three battles and A.P. Hill smashed into the Union forces at the stone bridge, what is amazing is that at the end of the battle no ground was gained by either side. Later a photo exposition was held in New York City titled, " The Dead of Antietam". Five days after the battle Lincoln announced the emancipation proclamation, that freed all of the slaves.
Mclellan was a good organizer and trainer of troops; but not a fighter. At Antietam, he was headquartered at rhe Fry house, sevel miles from the actual fighting and had little command and control. You are right that, had he pursued Lee across the potomac, he might have delivered a death blow to the Army of Northern Virginia; but he just didn't have it in him.
I've been in the Dunker Church; stood on Burnside's Bridge; and walked alone down Bloody Lane. Antietam is an awesome place.

Mclellan was a good organizer and trainer of troops; but not a fighter. At Antietam, he was headquartered at rhe Fry house, sevel miles from the actual fighting and had little command and control. You are right that, had he pursued Lee across the potomac, he might have delivered a death blow to the Army of Northern Virginia; but he just didn't have it in him.
I've been in the Dunker Church; stood on Burnside's Bridge; and walked alone down Bloody Lane. Antietam is an awesome place.

Well, Jack I am off to Wyoming gotta pay the bills. Just got my truck back out of the shop for a bad ignition switch, hope I do not have another breakdown, I really cannot afford it. To meet my schedule I am going to have to drive 600 miles everyday do not know if I can do that or not, that is kinda pushin it. I will do my best. You take care and I look forward to reading your book.

MaryAnne

Governor
I am what I am. I was born this way, hey I was born this way; I'm on the right track Baby, I was born this way.
Nah,nah! I beg to disagree, you were not born that way. You made you what you are! A great Poet,lover of fine music and tender hearted with friends. That is why your icky posts disappoint me. And why I throw it back. I would rather you use the writing talent to post some really good thoughts. I could live with your being a Republican. I despise the Tea party slander.

BTW,Jack does have a book of Poetry,I have it:eek:)

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Nah,nah! I beg to disagree, you were not born that way. You made you what you are! A great Poet,lover of fine music and tender hearted with friends. That is why your icky posts disappoint me. And why I throw it back. I would rather you use the writing talent to post some really good thoughts. I could live with your being a Republican. I despise the Tea party slander.
BTW,Jack does have a book of Poetry,I have it:eek:)
Yep, you bought my first book several years ago, and I still appreciate it. I don't mean to disappoint you, MA, but those things which drive my writing, that I put into my writing, are the things that drive my life...passion, compassion, hope for the future of this country and for my gandkids. I hate what Obama has done to this country. He has staretd us on the road to ruin and we cannot let him continue. America is too good for Barack Obama. Frankly, it's too good for Mitt Romney too, but at least Romney will stop the decline and hopefully reverse it.

I understand that many of you do not see it that way but I passionately believe you are wrong. I don't mind your throwing my icky posts back at me. That's why I write icky posts...for the feedback.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Well, Jack I am off to Wyoming gotta pay the bills. Just got my truck back out of the shop for a bad ignition switch, hope I do not have another breakdown, I really cannot afford it. To meet my schedule I am going to have to drive 600 miles everyday do not know if I can do that or not, that is kinda pushin it. I will do my best. You take care and I look forward to reading your book.
Well be careful out there. I hope it goes well for you. I look forward to more discussion when you return.