• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Mars Panorama

Jen

Senator
Hmmm.......looks similar to a West Texas dry gulch. Isn't that just amazing though? That we can now see pictures like that from Mars? I am constantly amazed by things like that. Lots of questions: Was it always like that? If not, what was it like before? And what caused it to end up like this?

Welcome back, Addy. Haven't seen you in a while....... glad you're back and hope you'll stay.

Jen

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Hmmm.......looks similar to a West Texas dry gulch. Isn't that just amazing though? That we can now see pictures like that from Mars? I am constantly amazed by things like that. Lots of questions: Was it always like that? If not, what was it like before? And what caused it to end up like this?

Welcome back, Addy. Haven't seen you in a while....... glad you're back and hope you'll stay.

Jen
I agree it does look rocky, dry, and dusty. But Mars is actually a cold planet at least on top,, underground temps maybe are warmer.. Scientist seem to think down below some life forms might exist. Water from what I understand at one time was on Mars -- which would have been quite a long time ago. Soil samples taken, have shown, I believe, sodium chloride... which requires H2o to form.

Amazing no doubt about it -- the technology that allows us to see Mars so close up... It sure looks desolate but mysterious.
Thanks, Jen, for your nice welcome back comment.. :D

Bo-4

Senator
Possibly the coolest damned thing what i ever saw.

But i suspect that it's nothing but a trick performed digitally by Pixar :D

I agree it does look rocky, dry, and dusty. But Mars is actually a cold planet at least on top,, underground temps maybe are warmer.. Scientist seem to think down below some life forms might exist. Water from what I understand at one time was on Mars -- which would have been quite a long time ago. Soil samples taken, have shown, I believe, sodium chloride... which requires H2o to form.

Amazing no doubt about it -- the technology that allows us to see Mars so close up... It sure looks desolate but mysterious.
Thanks, Jen, for your nice welcome back comment.. :D
There is still a substantial quantity of water on Mars. Some of it is frozen in the ice caps. And some of it is underground. The Europeans have a Mars orbiter that has mapped out where the underground water is, by neutron mapping. And the Europeans and the Russians will likely beat America in the race to discover life on Mars. In a few years, they will be launching an Exo-Mars probe, which will be the first lander capable of drilling deep into the Martian surface, at least two meters, to reach the underground water, and conduct biological analyses on the retrieved water.

What you are looking at in that 3D landscape is an ancient streambed. A few billions years ago, there was plenty of surface water on Mars. It was warmer, and the atmosphere was thicker.