• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Movies I'd recommend, and other movies, for context ...

sear

Mayor
Could we list the 100 greatest movies of all time, and leave off the list THE WIZARD OF OZ ? *
I'll suspend on mentioning such movies as The Wizard of Oz, and Citizen Cain, not purely based upon cinematic merit, but instead because it's likely most that would have been interested would already have seen them.

I've got two personal favorites, each very different, but both about men of principle.

The first is Robert Bolt's / Paul Scofield's A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS. Beware. There's more than one movie with this title. But the Scofield version won 6 Academy Awards in 1966 including Best Picture.

Another with less critical acclaim is FIRST BLOOD, the first Stallone "Rambo" movie, and in my opinion by far the best.

But these two movies contrast to show very different styles of defending principle.

* Note: I gather The Wizard of Oz did not win the Oscar for best picture. That's because The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind were released the same year. And Gone with the Wind won best picture.
But The Wizard of Oz is still a remarkable movie, entertaining for adults & children alike.

"There never will be talking pictures." D.W. Griffith

Of all the arts, the cinema is the most important. Vladimir Ilich "Nikolai" Lenin 1870-1924

"There are good books, there are superior books, and there are great books.

Good books inform you. Superior books in addition to informing you, entertain you. ... A great book is a book that changes you." Oprah

sear

Mayor
OF #2

Is Independence Day that space alien invasion movie? Staring Will Smith?

I usually think a movie of true merit must not only have pace and substance, but also has a message, a moral, an insight, much as Oprah said above.

OF #2

Is Independence Day that space alien invasion movie? Staring Will Smith?

I usually think a movie of true merit must not only have pace and substance, but also has a message, a moral, an insight, much as Oprah said above.
You are thinking of the right Independence Day.
Oprah's wrong. movies with messages, morals, and insights are just plain boring.
I want asses to be kicked, jokes to be told, and dazzling special effects. In short I want entertainment. If I wanted a moral I'd go listen to a sermon at church.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Could we list the 100 greatest movies of all time, and leave off the list THE WIZARD OF OZ ? *
I'll suspend on mentioning such movies as The Wizard of Oz, and Citizen Cain, not purely based upon cinematic merit, but instead because it's likely most that would have been interested would already have seen them.

I've got two personal favorites, each very different, but both about men of principle.

The first is Robert Bolt's / Paul Scofield's A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS. Beware. There's more than one movie with this title. But the Scofield version won 6 Academy Awards in 1966 including Best Picture.

Another with less critical acclaim is FIRST BLOOD, the first Stallone "Rambo" movie, and in my opinion by far the best.

But these two movies contrast to show very different styles of defending principle.

* Note: I gather The Wizard of Oz did not win the Oscar for best picture. That's because The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind were released the same year. And Gone with the Wind won best picture.
But The Wizard of Oz is still a remarkable movie, entertaining for adults & children alike.

"There never will be talking pictures." D.W. Griffith

Of all the arts, the cinema is the most important. Vladimir Ilich "Nikolai" Lenin 1870-1924

"There are good books, there are superior books, and there are great books.

Good books inform you. Superior books in addition to informing you, entertain you. ... A great book is a book that changes you." Oprah
I don't know if you'd count "Band Of Brothers" as a movie or a series...but that, due to the acting, the character development and the way they introduced each episode with the real Brothers being interviewed, was incredible.

sear

Mayor
OF #5
They're not mutually exclusive.
Problem is, often movies with dazzling special effects are weak on the more substantive criteria.

BUT !!

I thought Men in Black was a substantially better Will Smith movie. A well made movie, with a charming message packed in in the last 10 seconds of the movie.

mv #6

Didn't see it.

sear

Mayor
JO #7

Good movie.
Did you know
Francis Ford Copola is in Nick Cage's family, perhaps father. Cage changed his name so he could make his success on his own talent, not his elder's name.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Independence Day is the greatest movie of all time followed by Bad Boys 2 and The Matrix.
Have you seen "Lincoln"? When Daniel Day Lewis says "NOW NOW NOW" in response to the suggestion that they wait to pass the amendment....that is some serious acting...

How about "Equalizer" or "Taken"?

Talk about a serious threat....

"The Siege" was great....

Have you seen "Lincoln"? When Daniel Day Lewis says "NOW NOW NOW" in response to the suggestion that they wait to pass the amendment....that is some serious acting...

I did see Lincoln, and now I don't know if I find Abe Lincoln insufferable, or Daniel Day Lewis' portrayal of Abe Lincoln to be insufferable.
I am not a big fan of civil war history. I was dragged to many civil war reenactments as a child to enjoy civil war history.

sear

Mayor
mv #10

Daniel Day Lewis strives as an actor. Quite a range between MY LEFT FOOT, and some of his later works. I liked what he did with LAST OF THE MOHICANS.

But for Lincoln, I read that Lewis stayed in character throughout the filming, from day one to wrap. Little surprise then that Lewis did well in the role.

JO #7

Good movie.
Did you know
Francis Ford Copola is in Nick Cage's family, perhaps father. Cage changed his name so he could make his success on his own talent, not his elder's name.
That's a nice Hollywood rumor, but Nicolas Cage (who is Francis Ford Coppola's nephew, not his son) launched his acting career in Coppola's film Rumble Fish.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
JO #7

Good movie.
Did you know
Nick of the Copolas...yep.
Moonstruck was filmed back in the day before Cher had any face work done and Cage still had his old teeth. They both were at their most attractive.
I'm sure I've watched it 20 times. The story is timeless.

EatTheRich

President
I concur that First Blood was unexpectedly excellent. A good allegory about the Vietnam War.

Wizards by Ralph Bakshi is a special favorite of mine.

Gentleman’s Agreement also comes highly recommended although the director (Elia Kazan) betrayed his humanity and incurred infamy.

redtide

Mayor

I had to walk out of Lincoln. Not sure how it won any awards especially when a B movie came out around the same timeframe Lincoln the vampire hunter that was way more entertaining. not to mention the acting was much better also

EatTheRich

President
I thought Lincoln was excellent, good political film that showed both Lincoln the skilled politician and Lincoln the reluctant revolutionary.

Team of Rivals (the book it’s based on) is excellent too.