• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Musings from the BOTF

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Down page there is a post, a byline from Maureen Dowd and the New York Times, the reporting of an incident, in which a soldier in the New Iraqi Army threw down his weapon and curled up in a ball in fear during combat. Did the incident actually occur or was it created out of “whole cloth” by those bent on discrediting any and everything associated with our winning the Iraq War?

My first inclination is to believe the story to be a lie, coming from CNN and the NYT as it does. But further thought on it makes me think that the story is probably true. Did an Iraqi soldier panic and lose himself to overcoming terror in the face of impending doom? Has any of the insurgents ever been struck immobile and given themselves to apoplexy when the Marines come through the door or the moment before an American missile comes through the roof? Has a United States Marine ever cried out in fear when he realized he had walked into an ambush? In other words, does anyone ever experience fear in war? The answer, I think, is obvious.

What is at play in the story of the Iraqi soldier is a much greater and deeper phenomenon. What is interesting, and what would be almost comical were it not so despicable, is that a Liberal news organization seems to be driven by a “need” only to help America lose a war. Neither the New York Times nor CNN think it newsworthy that thousands of new schools have been built in Iraq since the U.S. invasion. Neither made any mention of the hundreds of new hospitals that also have been constructed. Likewise the history lesson playing out in Iraq at this very moment, that of a new government being formed and the populace participating in elections and self-determination, apparently is of no news value in their estimation.

Now, should the Press be prevented from carrying negative stories? Certainly not, and had the story come in the midst of other stories about the schools and the hospitals, I would find no nefarious intent in their motive or their agenda. However, both of the aforementioned news organizations have demonstrated a history of producing “only” the negative, the failures, the shortcomings, the gloom and the despair.

In headlines, reminiscent of Berlin Betty & Tokyo Rose they blast away, ferreting out a story about a poor soul who was afraid of dying, and they use that single incident in an attempt to betray the entire effort of what we are trying to accomplish in Iraq. They use a moment in time for a scared Iraqi soldier to suggest that the entire Iraqi Army is made of cowards. They call them cowards, men who are drawn from a people who flock to the polls in great numbers, in the face of almost certain death, to vote in their own futures, even dipping their fingers in indelible ink to show their defiance of terrorists who murder innocent women and children. They call them cowards, men who leave home every morning to serve their country, not knowing whether or not their families will be killed during the day because of their service to their country.

With one single incident the Liberal Media have disparaged an entire population of brave human beings, and they have done it apparently for no other reason than to inflict some negative press on the President and the war effort.

The American Liberal news organizations could well afford to be even half as “cowardly” as are the Iraqi people.

Jack Dallas

Circa 2005

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Down page there is a post, a byline from Maureen Dowd and the New York Times, the reporting of an incident, in which a soldier in the New Iraqi Army threw down his weapon and curled up in a ball in fear during combat. Did the incident actually occur or was it created out of “whole cloth” by those bent on discrediting any and everything associated with our winning the Iraq War?

My first inclination is to believe the story to be a lie, coming from CNN and the NYT as it does. But further thought on it makes me think that the story is probably true. Did an Iraqi soldier panic and lose himself to overcoming terror in the face of impending doom? Has any of the insurgents ever been struck immobile and given themselves to apoplexy when the Marines come through the door or the moment before an American missile comes through the roof? Has a United States Marine ever cried out in fear when he realized he had walked into an ambush? In other words, does anyone ever experience fear in war? The answer, I think, is obvious.

What is at play in the story of the Iraqi soldier is a much greater and deeper phenomenon. What is interesting, and what would be almost comical were it not so despicable, is that a Liberal news organization seems to be driven by a “need” only to help America lose a war. Neither the New York Times nor CNN think it newsworthy that thousands of new schools have been built in Iraq since the U.S. invasion. Neither made any mention of the hundreds of new hospitals that also have been constructed. Likewise the history lesson playing out in Iraq at this very moment, that of a new government being formed and the populace participating in elections and self-determination, apparently is of no news value in their estimation.

Now, should the Press be prevented from carrying negative stories? Certainly not, and had the story come in the midst of other stories about the schools and the hospitals, I would find no nefarious intent in their motive or their agenda. However, both of the aforementioned news organizations have demonstrated a history of producing “only” the negative, the failures, the shortcomings, the gloom and the despair.

In headlines, reminiscent of Berlin Betty & Tokyo Rose they blast away, ferreting out a story about a poor soul who was afraid of dying, and they use that single incident in an attempt to betray the entire effort of what we are trying to accomplish in Iraq. They use a moment in time for a scared Iraqi soldier to suggest that the entire Iraqi Army is made of cowards. They call them cowards, men who are drawn from a people who flock to the polls in great numbers, in the face of almost certain death, to vote in their own futures, even dipping their fingers in indelible ink to show their defiance of terrorists who murder innocent women and children. They call them cowards, men who leave home every morning to serve their country, not knowing whether or not their families will be killed during the day because of their service to their country.

With one single incident the Liberal Media have disparaged an entire population of brave human beings, and they have done it apparently for no other reason than to inflict some negative press on the President and the war effort.

The American Liberal news organizations could well afford to be even half as “cowardly” as are the Iraqi people.

Jack Dallas

Circa 2005
OH, Canada
It would be an easy thing these days in the current atmosphere to lash out at the Canadians for what seems to be an endless steam of criticism flowing out of that country for our country and for President Bush. My first inclination is to be defensive, to take offense and push back at the arrogance, “the very nerve, a foreign country criticizing America”. Are the Canadians just nuts, or what? Well, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about that.

Few nations have given as much and done as much, and fought as bravely as have the Canadians in the world wide effort to preserve freedom for all people. Canada has done far more than could ever be expected of her, given her small numbers, yet the Canadians have always been there when the world needed them. So what’s the problem?

To understand the problem with Canada all we have to do is look at the United States. The problem with Canada is the same problem we have here. There are “Liberals” in both countries. Just like cream and turds float to the top, the most vocal, the most fanatic, the most wild-eyed, frothy-mouthed, snot dripping, spit drooling, jaw-twisting, hate spewing, lying, screaming, pissing, moaning, whining, vein-bursting, falling on the floor thrashing around, rolling in horseshit Liberals, likewise always seem to gravitate to a radio mic, a newspaper, a soapbox, a political posting board, the political arena, or just simply in front of someone’s face.

They have these loonies in Canada too, just like we have them here.

But where in Canada can you find as despicable an individual as Ted Kennedy, who killed a girl and ran away to save his own hide?

Where in Canada can you find a certifiable nutcase like Howard Dean running a major political party?

Where in Canada is there an ex Canadian traitor who assisted an enemy of Canada in a war, and yet was picked to run as president on a national ticket in the last election?

Is there a major national newspaper in Canada, like the New York Times, that happily publishes national secrets and endangers Canadian soldiers who are engaged in combat, with impunity?

Canada looks pretty good to me, after taking a close look at the U.S. I have no problem with Canada. I’ve been there many times. We just have to remember the Canadians for the good people and the great nation they are, not for their idiots.

Jack Dallas

voyager

4Q2247365

Jack Dallas

Circa 2005
At least the Iraqi soldier wasn't turning on and shooting his American advisors.

Get the fuk out of Iraq.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member

Jack Dallas

Circa 2005
Fray Good and Bad
Good Posters

andKathleen, addorablepuppyofwar, Alexa Blue, Angel, Artemesia, Boca, august, baltimore aureole, butterscotch, Birkebeiner, BFD,ClaudeScales, DallasNE, Daysman, Demosthenes2, DrNo, ducadmo, dowager, Ele, EnsleyHill, First Hawk, firstphone, Fritz_Gerlich, Hauteur (Gatewood), historyguy, Isonomist, IOZ, JackD, JackDallas, JanZ, Jen-10, justoffal, JV-12, Keifus, kyu, locdog, MaryAnn, marylb, meridiantoo, MichaelRyerson, Midway, MsZilla, Neocon, OneEyedJasper, One Tin Soldier, Ozymandias1, Publius, PubliusToo, raprap, RonB52 Sarvis, Schrodinger rundeep, Run 75441, Sgt_Rock, Skeppy, Slipstream, Tempo, TenaciousK, TheBell, thelyamhound, TheMaxFischerPlayers, TheQuietMan, Thrasymachus, TRW, Watt4Bob, WhiteRabbit, Wrylee, Zuko, Woolley

Not so Bad Posters

Arkady, Archaeopteryx, chango, BD, Catnapping, diogene, daveto, DragonTat2, Dr H, Ender, Gemini, greeneggsanham, gypsy, hipparchia, Inkberrow, Loree, martingreene, MaryAnne, NickD, NicolaeCarpathia, Nightengale, o_Hellenbach, Lono, OottRascals, Persephone, Southern Gal, Splendid_IREny, twifferTheGnu, yastfort

Bad Posters

appolonious, another_liberal, BeingFrank, Betty_the_Crow, Bob W, Degsme, Demcon, Dubina, doodaman, DawnCoyote, Julie Boomer, GregorSamsa, Mom, Pace, pissenlit, riccaric, Snolly G, Ted Burke, TheBrewMaster, Thy Goddess, ci-inic, Michael 09,

Crash Test Dummies

biteotweek, ellen, Schmutzie, Tartuffe, Topazz, Bald Tony, Zeus Boy, write-on, Wahbooz, Cherokee54, Shirley, Wulk, Shep, Zarquiekia, Acrophony, Schadenfeude, switters, Art & Soul

Enigmas

LilMacG, Weary Willie, Joycean

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Fray Good and Bad
Good Posters

andKathleen, addorablepuppyofwar, Alexa Blue, Angel, Artemesia, Boca, august, baltimore aureole, butterscotch, Birkebeiner, BFD,ClaudeScales, DallasNE, Daysman, Demosthenes2, DrNo, ducadmo, dowager, Ele, EnsleyHill, First Hawk, firstphone, Fritz_Gerlich, Hauteur (Gatewood), historyguy, Isonomist, IOZ, JackD, JackDallas, JanZ, Jen-10, justoffal, JV-12, Keifus, kyu, locdog, MaryAnn, marylb, meridiantoo, MichaelRyerson, Midway, MsZilla, Neocon, OneEyedJasper, One Tin Soldier, Ozymandias1, Publius, PubliusToo, raprap, RonB52 Sarvis, Schrodinger rundeep, Run 75441, Sgt_Rock, Skeppy, Slipstream, Tempo, TenaciousK, TheBell, thelyamhound, TheMaxFischerPlayers, TheQuietMan, Thrasymachus, TRW, Watt4Bob, WhiteRabbit, Wrylee, Zuko, Woolley

Not so Bad Posters

Arkady, Archaeopteryx, chango, BD, Catnapping, diogene, daveto, DragonTat2, Dr H, Ender, Gemini, greeneggsanham, gypsy, hipparchia, Inkberrow, Loree, martingreene, MaryAnne, NickD, NicolaeCarpathia, Nightengale, o_Hellenbach, Lono, OottRascals, Persephone, Southern Gal, Splendid_IREny, twifferTheGnu, yastfort

Bad Posters

appolonious, another_liberal, BeingFrank, Betty_the_Crow, Bob W, Degsme, Demcon, Dubina, doodaman, DawnCoyote, Julie Boomer, GregorSamsa, Mom, Pace, pissenlit, riccaric, Snolly G, Ted Burke, TheBrewMaster, Thy Goddess, ci-inic, Michael 09,

Crash Test Dummies

biteotweek, ellen, Schmutzie, Tartuffe, Topazz, Bald Tony, Zeus Boy, write-on, Wahbooz, Cherokee54, Shirley, Wulk, Shep, Zarquiekia, Acrophony, Schadenfeude, switters, Art & Soul

Enigmas

Spectacular!

Almost brought a tear to my eye.

So many great names in there.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Spectacular!

Almost brought a tear to my eye.

So many great names in there.
It was an alternate world. I had some good friends I would never meet, and never converse with again, once it ended. I met several of them, a lady poet (Loree) who lives in Kansas. She was still alive the last time I called her a few months ago, but almost blind with macular degeneration (sp).
I've had lunch, a couple of times with Woolley, who posts on PJ every so often.
Sometimes I wish I had been nicer to some of them, but...you know how it goes.
I know of several who have died. There are a few who are now posting on PJ.
I have a whole catalog of my Fray posts that I have saved. Don't honestly know why I saved them all this time. There may be something wrong with me, I suspect.

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
Fray Good and Bad
Good Posters

Not so Bad Posters

Bad Posters

Crash Test Dummies

Enigmas

Great post JD, and thanks for the honorable mention. The only one I'd add would be Whispers.

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
Who were you on The Fray?
JZ
During those Fray times I was busy being my wife's caregiver and watching the cancer kill my wife of 25 years die an inch at a time as that horrible disease rotted he from the inside out. I wasn't always as nice as I could have been...Dark times.

Last edited:

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
It was an alternate world. I had some good friends I would never meet, and never converse with again, once it ended. I met several of them, a lady poet (Loree) who lives in Kansas. She was still alive the last time I called her a few months ago, but almost blind with macular degeneration (sp).
I've had lunch, a couple of times with Woolley, who posts on PJ every so often.
Sometimes I wish I had been nicer to some of them, but...you know how it goes.
I know of several who have died. There are a few who are now posting on PJ.
I have a whole catalog of my Fray posts that I have saved. Don't honestly know why I saved them all this time. There may be something wrong with me, I suspect.
What I find interesting is the time that's passed...almost twenty years since my first visit there..to here..

Some outstanding posters in that list.
TheBell is a stand out.. publius.. ozymandias

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
What I find interesting is the time that's passed...almost twenty years since my first visit there..to here..
It is almost surreal. I first started posting on the Fray in 2002, 18 years ago. I joined PJ in Sept. of 2011. I can't remember when the Fray closed down but I think I came to PJ fairly quickly after. If my memory serves me well, then I have been posting on PJ at least as long as I was on The Fray, if not a little longer. Honestly, although I look back at The Fray with some nostalgia, Pj is the better forum, in my opinion. The Fray was poly-saturated with clicks and clubs, and gangs and tight-assed Mods who played favorites.

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
It is almost surreal. I first started posting on the Fray in 2002, 18 years ago. I joined PJ in Sept. of 2011. I can't remember when the Fray closed down but I think I came to PJ fairly quickly after. If my memory serves me well, then I have been posting on PJ at least as long as I was on The Fray, if not a little longer. Honestly, although I look back at The Fray with some nostalgia, Pj is the better forum, in my opinion. The Fray was poly-saturated with clicks and clubs, and gangs and tight-assed Mods who played favorites.
Another good poster we lost along the way was Cicero I don't remember who he was in Fray time but he was one of the greats.

He hasn't been here in a long time,

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Another good poster we lost along the way was Cicero I don't remember who he was in Fray time but he was one of the greats.

He hasn't been here in a long time,
Cicero was a school teacher in Houston. He also went by Hauteur. He and I received our Stars at the same time. He was a good friend. I've always hoped he would show up on PJ but he never has, unless he's using another name and hasn't let me know.
You're right, he was a great poster.

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
Cicero was a school teacher in Houston. He also went by Hauteur. He and I received our Stars at the same time. He was a good friend. I've always hoped he would show up on PJ but he never has, unless he's using another name and hasn't let me know.
You're right, he was a great poster.
He was here for 4 years and bailed out on 9-1-15, hasn't been back since more's the pity
Cicero
Mayor
Joined Sep 18, 2011
Last seen Sep 1, 2015

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
He was here for 4 years and bailed out on 9-1-15, hasn't been back since more's the pity
Cicero
Mayor
Joined Sep 18, 2011
Last seen Sep 1, 2015
Holy shit. I must have had some conversations with him but I just don't remember. He joined the same day I did. That's just weird.
I hope he is still above ground.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Trying to remember the mod that kept frying every one.... Jeremy?

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
Holy shit. I must have had some conversations with him but I just don't remember. He joined the same day I did. That's just weird.
I hope he is still above ground.
This was funny as hell from the Fray

Subject:If They Mated
Date:Sep 13 2005 10:13AM

The other day an unnamed poster (andkathleen) made an offhand comment that she would no longer bear the children of another poster. Leaving aside for a moment the question of whether she has already done so, this concept fired up two or three neurons in the old thinking machine and I wondered just what the progeny of such a union would be like. I resolved to explore the question in a bit that I have shamelessly stolen from Conan O'Brien that he likes to call: If They Mated!

The premise of this bit is that we here at "If They Mated" headquarters have a device that lets us sample the digital DNA of any two Fraydenizens and find out through the magic of technology the precise results of their genetic union. When two Fraysters are seen associating with one another, we the readers have a right to know what may happen should their libidos over come their better sense. We perform this function as a public service. Just remember, this is all in fun, so if it offends anyone, well, that's the bleedin' point, innit?

switters & andkathleen
Some threshold of switical mass is exceeded whenever the switster and ampkath wander within pheromone range of one another (get a chatroom, you two!), and the occasion is frequently marked by the detonation of a flirty bomb. Of course, andkathleen would probably be the first to tell you that she's pretty dang flirty with just about everyone when she's been nippin' at the ol' Guinness (and even when not!). But she can't do the whole friggin' Fray (she's not Amber after all), so let's just focus on switters, shall we?
Offspring: Sweetlee - The first poster to achieve an advanced degree in Tivology, Sweetlee can dissertate with dexterity on any topic from the most sacred to the most profane. Plus she's cute as a button (or "reghot" as the kids today like to say). Equally comfortable discussing the symbolism of Victorian poetry, the evolution of fusion jazz and its influence on modern rap, or which bitch should get the rose on the next episode of "The Bachelor," she will mostly be remembered for being the first to coin the word "cuntard."

Ender & Tempo
Now we all know this will never happen (anyone seen the 5-day weathercast for Hell lately?). But just for the sake of argument, suppose some evil genius releases a DNA-specific retrovirus targeting not_Ender (or not-ender) and the literal-minded bugger (get it?) mistakenly kills everyone who's not Ender except for Tempo because she is immune by virtue of being fed up with Ender. Hey, it could happen! It would then be incumbent on these two to repopulate the earth, right? RIGHT?? Work with me, people! So what would the resulting fruit of the loins (tm) be like, hmm? Enquiring minds want to know!
Offspring: Tender - this hapless poster would offend herself [note to self: maybe "Offender" is a better name] every time she posted something, relentlessly and endlessly taunting, rebutting, and defending herself [hmm, "Defender?"] before ultimately melting down in a runaway chain reaction of posting. A sizeable minority of Fraysters, equally offended by Tender's gamesmanship, would be taken out as collateral damage (some of them by friendly fire). The FrayEditor would then memorialize her MBTU by renaming it HereLiesSheWhoseNameMustBeRemembered. [possibly Pretender, dead-ender (thanx Rummy), big-spender, FenderBenderMender, RenderUntoSeizeHer, Return_To_Sender...]