• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

New Autism study indicates prenatal origin

NightSwimmer

Senator
Autism begins in the womb, according to a new study

Study finding an in-utero basis for autism is the first to do so

The other new study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, analyzed the brain tissue of children with autism.

The researchers - from the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and the Allen Institute for Brain Science in Seattle, WA - examined 25 genes in the postmortem brain tissue of children with and without autism. These genes included biomarkers for brain cells in different layers of the cortex, genes that have been linked to autism and several control genes.

Analyzing the brain tissue of deceased children who had autism breaks ground with previous research, which instead has used the brain tissue of adults with autism and attempted to extrapolate back to what might have occurred developmentally.

The team found that key genetic markers across multiple layers of brain cells were missing in the brains of autistic children.

-----

But equally as important as the evidence of developmental disruption in children with autism, the team believes, is that these defects appeared in "focal patches," particularly around the frontal and temporal cortex. This suggests that this defect does not apply equally to all areas of the brain and may explain why different functional systems are affected in people who have autism.

"The fact that we were able to find these patches is remarkable, given that the cortex is roughly the size of the surface of a basketball, and we only examined pieces of tissue the size of a pencil eraser," says researcher Ed S. Lein, PhD, of the Allen Institute for Brain Science. "This suggests that these abnormalities are quite pervasive across the surface of the cortex."
"The finding that these defects occur in patches rather than across the entirety of cortex gives hope as well as insight about the nature of autism," adds Dr. Courchesne.

The discovery of the patch-like nature of the defects could also explain why some toddlers with autism show improved symptoms with early treatment. The researchers think this supports the theory that the brain may be able to rewire neural connections to avoid defects.

The team claim their findings therefore raise hope that further understanding of these patches could allow scientists an insight into how that rewiring occurs, opening doors to potential new treatments and therapies.

Boltlady

Mayor
Autism begins in the womb, according to a new study

Study finding an in-utero basis for autism is the first to do so

The other new study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, analyzed the brain tissue of children with autism.

The researchers - from the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and the Allen Institute for Brain Science in Seattle, WA - examined 25 genes in the postmortem brain tissue of children with and without autism. These genes included biomarkers for brain cells in different layers of the cortex, genes that have been linked to autism and several control genes.

Analyzing the brain tissue of deceased children who had autism breaks ground with previous research, which instead has used the brain tissue of adults with autism and attempted to extrapolate back to what might have occurred developmentally.

The team found that key genetic markers across multiple layers of brain cells were missing in the brains of autistic children.

-----

But equally as important as the evidence of developmental disruption in children with autism, the team believes, is that these defects appeared in "focal patches," particularly around the frontal and temporal cortex. This suggests that this defect does not apply equally to all areas of the brain and may explain why different functional systems are affected in people who have autism.

"The fact that we were able to find these patches is remarkable, given that the cortex is roughly the size of the surface of a basketball, and we only examined pieces of tissue the size of a pencil eraser," says researcher Ed S. Lein, PhD, of the Allen Institute for Brain Science. "This suggests that these abnormalities are quite pervasive across the surface of the cortex."
"The finding that these defects occur in patches rather than across the entirety of cortex gives hope as well as insight about the nature of autism," adds Dr. Courchesne.

The discovery of the patch-like nature of the defects could also explain why some toddlers with autism show improved symptoms with early treatment. The researchers think this supports the theory that the brain may be able to rewire neural connections to avoid defects.

The team claim their findings therefore raise hope that further understanding of these patches could allow scientists an insight into how that rewiring occurs, opening doors to potential new treatments and therapies.
They'll look for any explanation they can find rather than admit that they're giving kids too many vaccines. Until they started bombarding kids with these, autism wasn't that prevalent.

Now........

US autism estimate rises to 1 in 68 children - The Washington Post

NightSwimmer

Senator
"They" are the people who are making so much money from giving babies and little kids so many vaccines.

What do vaccines have to do with the topic of this thread?

While there are many risk factors associated with Autism (see a list in the second link), there has been no correlation whatsoever found, in spite of numerous studies, between vaccination and Autism.

fairsheet

Senator
My anecdotal exerience suggests that parents only have ONE child with mental issues along the lines of autism or Down's. That argues against any sort of environmental or even necessarily, genetic cause. What I don't know...of course though, is if these children tend to be the parent's last. That may be the case more often than not, so it's hard for us to know how a subsequent child may've turned out.

Still though.....IF the cause is environmental or genetic, how do we explain the fact of all their other children showing no symptoms?

NightSwimmer

Senator
My anecdotal exerience suggests that parents only have ONE child with mental issues along the lines of autism or Down's. That argues against any sort of environmental or even necessarily, genetic cause. What I don't know...of course though, is if these children tend to be the parent's last. That may be the case more often than not, so it's hard for us to know how a subsequent child may've turned out.

Still though.....IF the cause is environmental or genetic, how do we explain the fact of all their other children showing no symptoms?

The strongest clue of genetics being the culprit is in studies of identical versus fraternal twins. As to environmental factors, the recent study mentioned in the top post implies that the most critical environmental factors may be in the womb, prior to delivery.

fairsheet

Senator
The strongest clue of genetics being the culprit is in studies of identical versus fraternal twins. As to environmental factors, the recent study mentioned in the top post implies that the most critical environmental factors may be in the womb, prior to delivery.
I'm familiar with the "in the womb" part. I heard a synopsis of the study in question. What I'm getting at though, is how necessarily, would "environmental factors " impact one child in the womb, but not the others who'd come from that same womb?

We have examples of other identified environmental factors that impacted more than one child from the same mother. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

NightSwimmer

Senator
I'm familiar with the "in the womb" part. I heard a synopsis of the study in question. What I'm getting at though, is how necessarily, would "environmental factors " impact one child in the womb, but not the others who'd come from that same womb?

We have examples of other identified environmental factors that impacted more than one child from the same mother. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

Quite often, it is the combination of a genetic susceptibility with an environmental factor that leads to diseases such as autism.

fairsheet

Senator
Quite often, it is the combination of a genetic susceptibility with an environmental factor that leads to diseases such as autism.
I don't doubt you, although I think you may be reaching an unsupportable conclusion here. Nethertheless, your conclusion doesn't answer the question. IF genetics and environment are the cause, why only one child per mother?

NightSwimmer

Senator
I don't doubt you, although I think you may be reaching an unsupportable conclusion here. Nethertheless, your conclusion doesn't answer the question. IF genetics and environment are the cause, why only one child per mother?

Because each child is genetically different from their own siblings. Of course, that rule doesn't hold for identical twins.

Boltlady

Mayor
What do vaccines have to do with the topic of this thread?

While there are many risk factors associated with Autism (see a list in the second link), there has been no correlation whatsoever found, in spite of numerous studies, between vaccination and Autism.
To answer your question about what vaccines have to do with the topic of this thread. This article is already a couple of years old in that the latest numbers are much worse.

The Epidemic of Autism
The epidemic of autism, Aspergers, PDD-NOS, ADHD, ADD, learning disabilities, food allergies, juvenile onset diabetes, and asthma exactly parallels the increase in ethlymercury administered through Thimerosal-containing vaccines beginning in 1990 and 1991. Between 1992-2002, the Department of Education estimates that there has been a 714% increase in the number of autistic children. In the 1970s, autism was estimated to occur in 1 in 25,000 children. Between 1970 and 1990, that number increased to about 1 in 2,500. Today, the CDC acknowledges the number is about 1 in 166, even Eli Lilly says it's 1 in 150, and many believe it is closer to 1 in 125. 1 in 68 families in the United States now has an autistic child. The epidemic appears to have begun right around the time of the 246% increase in the amount of Thimerosal children received through vaccines.

Asperger's, PDD-NOS, ADHD, ADD, and many learning disabilities have all exploded in numbers as well and all exactly during this same time period. Here is a quote from Dr. Mark Geier, a world-renowned geneticist:

"This is from the Department of Education Data. In the middle 1970s the estimate of autism rate was 1 in 25,000. In the 80s it was 1 in 2,500. In the 90s it was about 1 in 250. Currently the estimate in the United States is about 1 in 150 and incidentally, that estimate is by Eli Lilly who makes thimerosal. This is an enormous rise. It's a meteoric rise, but worse than that, it's not limited to autism. Reading disorders are up 30 fold. Speech disorders are up - currently 1 in 8 children in the United States are in special education. You have to be six years old to be in special education so, we're all shaking to see what the next figure will be for the next 6 years and we already have some early indicators. It's going to come out between 1 in 6 and 1 in 5."

The epidemic of autism

Boltlady

Mayor

A better question is why has this problem become so pronounced in just the last 30 or 40 years and wasn't in the years preceding? It certainly wouldn't be genetic all of a sudden.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Dr. Mark Geier's medical license has been suspended or revoked in every state in which he was licensed, over concerns about his autism treatments.

I never said that you couldn't find a quack website spouting nonsense with which you agree. I only said that there is no reliable evidence, statistical or otherwise, to indicate a causal link between vaccines and autism. I stand by that statement.

fairsheet

Senator
A better question is why has this problem become so pronounced in just the last 30 or 40 years and wasn't in the years preceding? It certainly wouldn't be genetic all of a sudden.
I'm not sure that we've actually determined that it's "happening" more ofthen or if perhaps, we're simply diagnosing it more often and across a broader spectrum?