• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

New Autism study indicates prenatal origin

Boltlady

Mayor
Dr. Mark Geier's medical license has been suspended or revoked in every state in which he was licensed, over concerns about his autism treatments.

I never said that you couldn't find a quack website spouting nonsense with which you agree. I only said that there is no reliable evidence, statistical or otherwise, to indicate a causal link between vaccines and autism. I stand by that statement.
All you need to do is look at the progression of the numbers and then try using your very own thinking process. You might find yourself with a few questions about what is causing it to happen.

Boltlady

Mayor
I'm not sure that we've actually determined that it's "happening" more ofthen or if perhaps, we're simply diagnosing it more often and across a broader spectrum?
FTR, there have been a lot of mother's on talk shows and such who have declared (with back-up proof) that their kid was doing fine until shortly after a barrage of vaccinations. Feel free to believe whatever the 'medical' community would like you to believe, but you'll never convince those mothers.

fairsheet

Senator
FTR, there have been a lot of mother's on talk shows and such who have declared (with back-up proof) that their kid was doing fine until shortly after a barrage of vaccinations. Feel free to believe whatever the 'medical' community would like you to believe, but you'll never convince those mothers.
We wouldn't even be having this discussion if there weren't the "lots of mothers" you're talking about here.

NightSwimmer

Senator
All you need to do is look at the progression of the numbers and then try using your very own thinking process. You might find yourself with a few questions about what is causing it to happen.

Oh, I do have questions, but I want answers based upon observed evidence, rather than intuitive speculation. I'm just funny like that, I suppose. Probably an artifact of my work environment.

NightSwimmer

Senator

Sure, and there are lots of poor Moms who avoided vaccinations and still had to watch their 2 year olds display symptoms of autism. There is no statistical correlation between any childhood vaccine and symptoms of autism. There are, however, coincidences.

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
My generation all had vaccines, and I don't recall any ADHD or any of the autism spectrums in kids. Of course, my early childhood was in the 50s, and our parents did not have access to birth control pills, all the processed foods, etc. As children, we did not eat fast foods, frozen dinners, pre-packaged anything with the exception of cereal. My parents never let us have soda pop except for a special occasion--like picnics. Cattle were not fed hormones to put on weight. The list is endless.

Each generation has been inundated with more junk food, processed food and food additives that never existed before. It's not surprising to me that these problems are increasing.

As for vaccinations, I don't believe doctors would give them if they suspected a link between vaccinations and the autism spectrum. They are a lot more informed than people who read articles written for the net.

fairsheet

Senator
My generation all had vaccines, and I don't recall any ADHD or any of the autism spectrums in kids. Of course, my early childhood was in the 50s, and our parents did not have access to birth control pills, all the processed foods, etc. As children, we did not eat fast foods, frozen dinners, pre-packaged anything with the exception of cereal. My parents never let us have soda pop except for a special occasion--like picnics. Cattle were not fed hormones to put on weight. The list is endless.

Each generation has been inundated with more junk food, processed food and food additives that never existed before. It's not surprising to me that these problems are increasing.

As for vaccinations, I don't believe doctors would give them if they suspected a link between vaccinations and the autism spectrum. They are a lot more informed than people who read articles written for the net.
Average American lifespans have grown rather dramatically since the 50's. I credit all that processing.

NightSwimmer

Senator
My generation all had vaccines, and I don't recall any ADHD or any of the autism spectrums in kids.

I recall some pretty messed up kids from back in the 50s and 60s. Of course, back then they were more likely to be institutionalized. Of those who weren't, the fact that we had no specific diagnosis nor therapy for them hardly made their conditions any less serious.

gigi

Mayor
Both my kids are on the autism spectrum. They're not twins. One is PDD/NOS(pervasive developmental disorder, which is the spectrum itself, and NOS for not otherwise specified.) and one is Asperger's or HFA(high functioning autism) depending on the doctor who's looking. Not much of a different presentation between HFA and Asperger's. In fact, they removed Asperger's from the new DSM.

I know the studies linking autism and the vaccines have been debunked. But there are still a lot of us mothers who know that after the vaccines, our kids changed. On the one hand, it's easy to explain. That 15 month MMR comes at about the time a parent would notice that their child isn't hitting some milestones and is instead exhibiting symptoms that speak to autism. But on the other hand, there are lots of us who know our kids lost abilities they already had,and began with behaviors and sensitivities they never had before. To my knowledge, there's nothing in the autism literature that supports the idea that an autistic child goes along just fine and typical and then boom....the bottom drops out. So I hope that they continue to look into the link between vaccines and autism. The studies that were done and debunked were lazy and unethical.
That's not to say that the vaccines are the only thing that causes autism.

Autism is not a mental illness or disease. It's a neurological condition that manifests with symptoms in behavior. I nit-pick about this because too often doctors offer medications intended for mental illness to help with some of the symptoms of autism. Not only do they not work, but they can cause quite a bit of turmoil for a kid.
Boltlady, your link says that special ed can't begin before age six. That's incorrect. And also, Greir.....no. Just no.

NS, your link in your second post on this thread doesn't work. Not clickable. Can you fix it PLEASE?

NightSwimmer

Senator
NS, your link in your second post on this thread doesn't work. Not clickable. Can you fix it PLEASE?

I would if I could. I don't know what happened to it, but it's not even a link any longer. Too bad. I remember that it was a very good article, but I don't remember where I found it. It was a link to a legitimate science or medicine site. It wasn't just some newspaper or magazine article.

gigi

Mayor
I would if I could. I don't know what happened to it, but it's not even a link any longer. Too bad. I remember that it was a very good article, but I don't remember where I found it. It was a link to a legitimate science or medicine site. It wasn't just some newspaper or magazine article.

Thanks anyway though.

Boltlady

Mayor
Both my kids are on the autism spectrum. They're not twins. One is PDD/NOS(pervasive developmental disorder, which is the spectrum itself, and NOS for not otherwise specified.) and one is Asperger's or HFA(high functioning autism) depending on the doctor who's looking. Not much of a different presentation between HFA and Asperger's. In fact, they removed Asperger's from the new DSM.

I know the studies linking autism and the vaccines have been debunked. But there are still a lot of us mothers who know that after the vaccines, our kids changed. On the one hand, it's easy to explain. That 15 month MMR comes at about the time a parent would notice that their child isn't hitting some milestones and is instead exhibiting symptoms that speak to autism. But on the other hand, there are lots of us who know our kids lost abilities they already had,and began with behaviors and sensitivities they never had before. To my knowledge, there's nothing in the autism literature that supports the idea that an autistic child goes along just fine and typical and then boom....the bottom drops out. So I hope that they continue to look into the link between vaccines and autism. The studies that were done and debunked were lazy and unethical.
That's not to say that the vaccines are the only thing that causes autism.

Autism is not a mental illness or disease. It's a neurological condition that manifests with symptoms in behavior. I nit-pick about this because too often doctors offer medications intended for mental illness to help with some of the symptoms of autism. Not only do they not work, but they can cause quite a bit of turmoil for a kid.
Boltlady, your link says that special ed can't begin before age six. That's incorrect. And also, Greir.....no. Just no.

As I've pointed out, the sheer numbers of cases have got to tell people something. It's not genetic all of a sudden when it was not that prevalent before.

As for the vaccines, without dredging up a zillion links offering examples, some of which have been proven in courts, one's own basic knowledge should come into play. That is that we all know that mercury is a terrible poison, yet it is still used in as many as half of the vaccines. That one fact alone should tell people that when combined with those massive numbers, coincidence is not at play.

The medical community simply does not want to take the major hit that would occur if it admitted to the connection. It has proven it's stance along those lines on quite a few situations such as cancer treatments that although have been proved to be effective through the years, get ignored by them.

Good luck with your children. Must be a handful.

NightSwimmer

Senator
As I've pointed out, the sheer numbers of cases have got to tell people something. It's not genetic all of a sudden when it was not that prevalent before.

As for the vaccines, without dredging up a zillion links offering examples, some of which have been proven in courts, one's own basic knowledge should come into play. That is that we all know that mercury is a terrible poison, yet it is still used in as many as half of the vaccines. That one fact alone should tell people that when combined with those massive numbers, coincidence is not at play.

The medical community simply does not want to take the major hit that would occur if it admitted to the connection. It has proven it's stance along those lines on quite a few situations such as cancer treatments that although have been proved to be effective through the years, get ignored by them.

Balderdash.

gigi

Mayor

I agree with you. And I think they took the mercury out of pet vaccines in the 1980s but not vaccines for humans. There was enough...pressure, evidence, I don't know, for the vaccines in the MMR to be available separately and without the thimerosal for a short time, although not all doctors would be involved in adminstering them that way. My son was entering kindergarten and needed an MMR booster. So we opted for the separate shots. He got the measles part, the rubella part, and then they stopped, so he never got the mumps part. But guess what? He's still immune to the mumps from the ONE shot he got at 15 months old. My kids have not been vaccinated in years. My younger son only got the baby vaccines. We have them titered every 18 months, and they're still immune to all these diseases without the series of boosters kids usually get throughout their childhoods.

As I said earlier, there are too many parents who noticed changes in our kids after the first MMR. I can accept that the original research was junk science, as my pediatrician used to put it. But that doesn't there's nothing there
When I was a baby, kids got eight vaccines by the time they were two. Now, they get 24 by that age.

Boltlady

Mayor
Balderdash.
Maybe the following has something to do with the studies that say the autism comes from the womb.

"Thimerosal is a compound that is 49.6% mercury by weight. When pregnant women eat foods or take medicines that contain mercury, the mercury can be transferred to the developing fetus through the placenta. Infants can be exposed to mercury through foods, including breast milk, or medicines. Developing fetuses and young children are more susceptible to mercury exposure than adults because mercury can interfere with the developing nervous system."

Thimerosol is also used in a large number of the vaccines that are given to very young children and babies whose brains are also still developing.

Vaccines: Vaccinations and Mercury in Vaccines

NightSwimmer

Senator
Maybe the following has something to do with the studies that say the autism comes from the womb.

"Thimerosal is a compound that is 49.6% mercury by weight. When pregnant women eat foods or take medicines that contain mercury, the mercury can be transferred to the developing fetus through the placenta. Infants can be exposed to mercury through foods, including breast milk, or medicines. Developing fetuses and young children are more susceptible to mercury exposure than adults because mercury can interfere with the developing nervous system."

Thimerosol is also used in a large number of the vaccines that are given to very young children and babies whose brains are also still developing.

Vaccines: Vaccinations and Mercury in Vaccines

How do you explain the increased incidence of autism in children whose parents didn't allow vaccination?

NO STATISTICAL CORRELATION. PERIOD.

I have no interest in engaging in yet another zombie "vaccines cause autism" debate. Believe whatever you like. I know that I can't do anything to change your opinion.

Hmmmm

Mayor
They'll look for any explanation they can find rather than admit that they're giving kids too many vaccines. Until they started bombarding kids with these, autism wasn't that prevalent.

Now........

US autism estimate rises to 1 in 68 children - The Washington Post
http://www.tylervigen.com/

Maybe, just maybe, it is because autism is being diagnosed more often while the numbers really have stayed the same. Or, maybe it is something else but all of the studies have shown no link between vaccinations and autism.

Boltlady

Mayor
http://www.tylervigen.com/

Maybe, just maybe, it is because autism is being diagnosed more often while the numbers really have stayed the same. Or, maybe it is something else but all of the studies have shown no link between vaccinations and autism.
Well, since the cases of autism were 1 in 25,000 in the 1970's and the estimate is now 1 in 68, that's a LOT more often.

While I agree that many correlations seem to be unconnected, the growth in cases of autism does correlate with the increase of vaccines, many of which contain mercury. Big pharma is not anxious to endorse the studies which have been done showing the connection. It would take too many explanations to their shareholders about why profits would go down so dramatically.