• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

New evidence suggests site near Stonehenge was occupied far earlier than thought

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Interesting read, dispels some notions regarding Stonehenge.. I had read so many theories on it -- another one being told of late.
Phys.org) —New tests using carbon dating techniques on materials found at a site approximately a mile from Stonehenge suggest that the area was continuously occupied thousands of years earlier than scientists have believed. The new research, led by Open University archaeologist David Jacques, came about as he and his team were investigating the closest known water source to the famous landmark.

Up to now, the consensus among scientists has been that Mesolithic people visited the site now known as Vespasian's Camp as far back as 7,500 B.C., but then abandoned it for unknown reasons. Thousands of years later, the thinking went, Neolithic people moved in and eventually built the world-renowned stone structures. The new research by Jacques and his team shows that such thinking has apparently been wrong as the area appears to have been occupied the whole time. It pushes back the date of earliest settlement of the area approximately 5,000 years.

The work being done by Jacques and his group of researchers is being documented as part of a BBC special called The Flying Archaeologist, to be broadcast in Britain this week. In it, Jacques reports that he became interested in the site near Stonehenge after viewing aerial photographs taken many years ago. He and his team surmised that if animals or humans were going to be living in the area far back in history, the most likely place would be near a source of water—Vespasian's Camp has a natural spring. They began studying the site (in Amesbury, Wiltshire) more closely back in 1999, and since then have found many prehistoric monuments.
http://phys.org/news/2013-04-evidence-site-stonehenge-occupied-earlier.html

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Thanx, Addy. I'll have to watch for that one.
Same thought here, Friday,, & YW..

Years ago, I had read and watched documentaries speculating these huge stones were built & placed by aliens from another planet,, a lost civilization,, just a few of many theories I have heard and read about.

Same thought here, Friday,, & YW..

Years ago, I had read and watched documentaries speculating these huge stones were built & placed by aliens from another planet,, a lost civilization,, just a few of many theories I have heard and read about.
Go with the aliens theory. Humans certainly aren't smart enough to build such things.

[As a former archaeologist, I am rolling my eyes.....]

fairsheet

Senator
Go with the aliens theory. Humans certainly aren't smart enough to build such things.

[As a former archaeologist, I am rolling my eyes.....]
Evidently, there're groups of people who set about proving that people of yore, could've actually built things like Stonehenge. They do so, using materials and methods thought to've been available at the time. I remember watching one of these projectson the teevee, involving Stonehenge. Unfortunately, I don't remember HOW they did it, but they did prove that it was relatively "easily" done.

Interesting stuff the stones are believed to be from Wales I am a Welchican and my youngest is half Mayan I will encourage him to study astronomy he might be a natural at it

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Interesting stuff the stones are believed to be from Wales I am a Welchican and my youngest is half Mayan I will encourage him to study astronomy he might be a natural at it
Fascinating,, I agree w/you, Lupe! I believe the stones were from Wales.. several hundred miles away from their location.. the bluestones used actually glisten when it is raining on them, reportedly they do look truly blue then..

A slide shown on the link, Lupe,, mysterious looking as always...click on the view all link. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/vi...eID=1551027589
Stonehenge.JPG

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Explore Stonehenge up close through the magic of Photosynth.

[video]http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/video/player?titleID=1551027589[/video]

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
They certainly did transport many of the stones at Stonehenge over very long distances. Quite an undertaking for a Neolithic group.
Amazing concept to think about, Leroy.. moving all of those heavy stones such a long distance esp. in that era -- more intriguing -- for what reason..!

fairsheet

Senator
There's the mystery.

How...and why?
It's my understanding that Stonhenge is aligned with the sun's path. People have ALWAYS sought explanations for things they couldn't quite understand. AND people have always endeavored to advantage themselves of their especial knowledge. The sun's yearly trek is consistent and therefore, predictable. But, we can assume that at least early on, only a few had the necessary information to predict its exact path. MY guess then, is that Stonehenge was built by hucksters of that day, who used it to impress people with their ability to cause the sun to do their will.

Fascinating,, I agree w/you, Lupe! I believe the stones were from Wales.. several hundred miles away from their location.. the bluestones used actually glisten when it is raining on them, reportedly they do look truly blue then..

A slide shown on the link, Lupe,, mysterious looking as always...click on the view all link. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/vi...eID=1551027589
View attachment 6095
Darn I can't open the links with this computer I will try again when the daughter gets home from school this evening.
Google Stonehenge hunt texas you should be able to pull up a copy of Stonehenge some guy with a lot of free time made.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Lupe,, the links didn't work for me either.. sorry.. eight pages of interesting information & pics at National Geographic on Stonehenge.
I found your article, thanks -- that is so neat what those guys did. :cool: It took lots of work and dedication to accomplish their goal! And to think all of it started from just one huge limestone rock left over from a patio project...simply amazing.
http://www.alfredshepperd.com/Stonehenge/main.html

Stonehenge 2.jpg