• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

NY Times columnist Paul Krugman apologizes for floating ‘conspiracy theory’ about jobs numbers that Trump influenced labor data

Spamature

President
So, whenever the BLS revises numbers, if they make Trump look good, it's a lie and they were corrupted by Trump. If the revised numbers make Trump look bad, then the BLS was just correcting a mistake and that's it.

Got it.

fvcking pathetic.
I or he for that matter say they were "corrupted" by Trump or use the word "lie" ?

Putting up a standard that you won't hold yourself to, I see.

Spamature

President
What difference does it make in which direction the revision occurs? Go ahead and answer that...:D
What do you mean what difference does it make ?

What difference does it make when the govt puts out incorrect data that is widely depended up by business and markets ?

It's bad, okay ?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean what difference does it make ?

What difference does it make when the govt puts out incorrect data that is widely depended up by business and markets ?

It's bad, okay ?
Has the BLS issued a revision?

if they do...do you think the error so huge as to put is back to 20%?

Spamature

President
Has the BLS issued a revision?

if they do...do you think the error so huge as to put is back to 20%?
Not that I know of.

I don't know. We are in the reopening phase in various places for a month now, I think. So I doubt if the jobs numbers go down while more businesses are opening up and taking back employees.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not that I know of.

I don't know. We are in the reopening phase in various places for a month now, I think. So I doubt if the jobs numbers go down while more businesses are opening up and taking back employees.
would not go down? how so?
if they open up more, and take back employees, then consequently they would...

Spamature

President
would not go down? how so?
if they open up more, and take back employees, then consequently they would...
What I am saying is that the number of jobs should increase and the number of unemployed should shrink with more businesses opening up. It won't go back to normal but it both should look better for both.

You might need to look at how many of the new jobs are full vs part time and the underling categories. I remember just a POTUS ago there some were big on looking into the minutia and each category.

They ranted that U3 was a look through rose colored glasses and that the other categories were the real UE rate.
  • U3: Official unemployment rate, per the ILO definition, occurs when people are without jobs and they have actively looked for work within the past four weeks.[60]

• U4: U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.

• U5: U4 + other "marginally attached workers," or "loosely attached workers," or those who "would like" and are able to work but have not looked for work recently.

• U6: U5 + Part-time workers who want to work full-time, but cannot for economic reasons (underemployment).
I doubt if those same people would push that claim now when talking about the UE rate. Especially since businesses are likely not to rush to full capacity. Which would likely have a big impact on U6.

Or what they liked to call the "real unemployment number.

Trump himself used to claim that was the real rate before he got into office and even grossly over exaggerated it on the stump.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
What I am saying is that the number of jobs should increase and the number of unemployed should shrink with more businesses opening up. It won't go back to normal but it both should look better for both.

You might need to look at how many of the new jobs are full vs part time and the underling categories. I remember just a POTUS ago there some were big on looking into the minutia and each category.

They ranted that U3 was a look through rose colored glasses and that the other categories were the real UE rate.
  • U3: Official unemployment rate, per the ILO definition, occurs when people are without jobs and they have actively looked for work within the past four weeks.[60]

• U4: U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.

• U5: U4 + other "marginally attached workers," or "loosely attached workers," or those who "would like" and are able to work but have not looked for work recently.

• U6: U5 + Part-time workers who want to work full-time, but cannot for economic reasons (underemployment).
I doubt if those same people would push that claim now when talking about the UE rate. Especially since businesses are likely not to rush to full capacity. Which would likely have a big impact on U6.

Or what they liked to call the "real unemployment number.

Trump himself used to claim that was the real rate before he got into office and even grossly over exaggerated it on the stump.
yes. i agree. so 13% is good. and we are agreed the more businesses that open up..the lower that will go.

>?

Mick

The Right is always right
Krugman manned up and admitted his error. He should be held up as an example to many who can't bring themselves to do so.

"Hint"
There was no "error". He floated a completely unsubstantiated conspiracy. One he knew was bullsh*t. He went into damage control because he realized no one was buying it and he was looking more stupid by the minute.

Crazed lefties saying and doing stupid stuff. Who'd have thunk it? Maybe next time they'll start shooting cops and burning down businesses.......oh wait.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Krugman is an overrated moron.

He proves that the Nobel Prize is not worth the paper it is printed on.
i'm just saying.

even with a glimmer of something positive in the midst of all this shit.. the efforts redouble to shit on even more..

the jobs report did not reflect a further cratering of an already catastrophically cratered economy.

that. is. good. even if for the moment.

and yet..shit away for so many. (cnn is in overdrive looking for the bad)

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
yes. i agree. so 13% is good. and we are agreed the more businesses that open up..the lower that will go.

>?
Not necessarily. This is most likely largely the result of the Paycheck Protection Program forgivable loans. If a business laid off a bunch of their employees, and then got one of those loans, they had to rehire at least some, if not all of their employees or they will need to give the money back. That doesn't mean they had work for them.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily. This is most likely largely the result of the Paycheck Protection Program forgivable loans. If a business laid off a bunch of their employees, and then got one of those loans, they had to rehire at least some, if not all of their employees or they will need to give the money back. That doesn't mean they had work for them.
could be. or not.

Spamature

President

>?
If businesses closing during the shutdown caused the UE rate to skyrocket.

Then it makes sense that reopening will case the UE rate to shrink.

Spamature

President
There was no "error". He floated a completely unsubstantiated conspiracy. One he knew was bullsh*t. He went into damage control because he realized no one was buying it and he was looking more stupid by the minute.

Crazed lefties saying and doing stupid stuff. Who'd have thunk it? Maybe next time they'll start shooting cops and burning down businesses.......oh wait.
Again, this is not the first time during the Trump admin that inflated numbers have come out of the BLS.

So your claiming he knew it was BS is the thing that is "completely unsubstantiated"

A Trump voter claiming ranting about others doing stupid stuff.

Okay... ?

Spamature

President
Krugman is an overrated moron.

He proves that the Nobel Prize is not worth the paper it is printed on.
It's worth more the Nobel Prize Trump keeps giving himself in his mind.

Maybe he will give himself the Nobel Prize for photo op church tear gassings.

Mick

The Right is always right
Again, this is not the first time during the Trump admin that inflated numbers have come out of the BLS.
Good lefty. Double down on idiocy. That takes a special kind of stupid.

So your claiming he knew it was BS is the thing that is "completely unsubstantiated"

A Trump voter claiming ranting about others doing stupid stuff.

Okay... ?
As opposed to a Hillary or Obama voter? The ones killing people, looting businesses, and vandalizing over a lie? Stupid indeed.