• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Ode to my Grandson (when he was 8 years old)

RedCloud

Mayor
DID MY BUDDY PLAY WELL?

I would always ask his Daddy,
Did my Buddy play well?
I don't want just a yes or no,
I want every detail.

Did he dribble the ball behind his back,
Did he flabbergast the foe?
Did he have the enemy wondering
Just where did that boy go?

Did he make a pass while in the air
To a teammate who was not there?
Only to have the teammate appear
And add two points to the score?

On the scramble for a rebound;
(That was old____'s forte)
While the others were getting untangled,
He went dibbling down the court!

All the coaches briefed their teams
And assigned two men to guard him,
But that hardly slowed him down,
He just dribbled around or through them!

He was modest to a fault.
He never "hogged" the ball,
He would always pass to a teammate
If one was open at all.

As proud as I am of his accomplishments,
And as proud as I am of his skill.
Even if he couldn't pick up the ball
He would be my Buddy still.

Love my Buddy,
Paw-Paw

RC

fairsheet

Senator
DID MY BUDDY PLAY WELL?

I would always ask his Daddy,
Did my Buddy play well?
I don't want just a yes or no,
I want every detail.

Did he dribble the ball behind his back,
Did he flabbergast the foe?
Did he have the enemy wondering
Just where did that boy go?

Did he make a pass while in the air
To a teammate who was not there?
Only to have the teammate appear
And add two points to the score?

On the scramble for a rebound;
(That was old____'s forte)
While the others were getting untangled,
He went dibbling down the court!

All the coaches briefed their teams
And assigned two men to guard him,
But that hardly slowed him down,
He just dribbled around or through them!

He was modest to a fault.
He never "hogged" the ball,
He would always pass to a teammate
If one was open at all.

As proud as I am of his accomplishments,
And as proud as I am of his skill.
Even if he couldn't pick up the ball
He would be my Buddy still.

Love my Buddy,
Paw-Paw

RC
We learn so much about them, by "how they play the game". And the toughest part - even as some parents/grandparents don't seem to get it - is the fact that their being the leading scorer, really isn't a reflection on us one way or another. If they score fewer, it's not our "fault". If they score more, that doesn't mean we're special. But...how "they play the game", is a huge reflection on us. We can't and shouldn't deny that.

RedCloud

Mayor
We learn so much about them, by "how they play the game". And the toughest part - even as some parents/grandparents don't seem to get it - is the fact that their being the leading scorer, really isn't a reflection on us one way or another. If they score fewer, it's not our "fault". If they score more, that doesn't mean we're special. But...how "they play the game", is a huge reflection on us. We can't and shouldn't deny that.
Fair, you are right. Some parents and grandparents get such vicarious satisfaction from their offspring's achievements that they push the offspring to excel all the time at any sport in which they participate. There is a big difference between being "encouraged," and being "pushed."

I encourage my son, granddaughter and grandson to excel in all their undertakings, but they know that my love is unconditional and never ending.

RedCloud

Mayor
the big paycheck if they make the pros will definitely reflect on the parent
Gabe, you are right, but think of the number of pro positions available as opposed to the number of aspirants seeking those positions and it becomes apparent (to me at least) that great psychological damage can be done by putting undue pressure on a kid to succeed. The key word is "undue."

Last edited:

gabriel

Governor
when i played we had a hockey mom that tried to run the coach down with her car cause her kid didnt get enough ice time. he went on to play major junior and woulda made pro except he lost an eye to a stick in his last year. so the nhl said no because they dont allow one eye players. the parents sued the league and lost ! who says there aint karma!!

lilly

Council Member
If only parents would think this way. In today's world so often the fun of it and good sportsmanship is not lead by example.

You are very talented Red Cloud.