• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Oh I so hope Rep. Luna's BILL passes

I happen to believe that our withdrawal from Afghanistan was a dark event in our history. We surrendered to the Taliban in January 2020. By the time Biden took office the Afghan army was demoralized and had suffered 3,000 KIA during Trump's "ceasefire". We were down to 2,500 troops, barely enough to hold onto Karzai airport. I'm not sure what Biden could have done to bring them back into the fight. The number of US troops needed to secure Kabul would have to have been something like 20,000 and 30,000 flown in. Presumably that would have been an massive incursion and done under fire, since the Taliban already controlled much of the country.
The occupation was clumsy and bumbling.For better or worse the majority of Afghans looked upon the US as unwanted invaders and occupiers.Sad to see many wanted a better life than what the Taliban offers but still they seemed unwilling to fight for it.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
The occupation was clumsy and bumbling.For better or worse the majority of Afghans looked upon the US as unwanted invaders and occupiers.Sad to see many wanted a better life than what the Taliban offers but still they seemed unwilling to fight for it.
Absolutely. Bush/Cheney screwed the pooch by allowing Taliban and AL Qaeda leaders and fighters to escape to Pakistan and then staying in the country long after the Northern Alliance had taken control of Kabul. The mistakes compound from then....first we kept about 10,000 troops in the country. That was not enough manpower to both provide anti-Taliban control of the country and train up an Afghan army....Bush realized that problem in 2004 and sent another 10,000 troops. At that point he should have taken a lesson from LBJ and VietNam and withdrawn.

Early in Obama's administration he sent another 30,000 troops...by December 2009 we had 67,000 troops. By August 2010 we had 100,000 troops. It seemed as we sent more troops we alienated more Afghans. By Trump's first day there were about 10,000 troops assigned to supporting the Afghan army and not to combat operations.

Then we have the mess Trump created by dropping troop levels to 2,500. The Afghan army knows they've been thrown under the bus as Trump forces Karzai to release 5,000 Taliban prisoners and Trump's ceasefire gets 3,000 afghan soldiers killed.

A lot of blame to go around.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Where did you get the personal knowledge of what you posted, from your last visit?

It's laighable watching You and MV trying to cover for Bidens clusterfvck exit in Afghan and now Joey wants the female in charge of exit to be the Ambassador to Iraq!

No cigar for ya'll :)

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Where did you get the personal knowledge of what you posted, from your last visit?

It's laighable watching You and MV trying to cover for Bidens clusterfvck exit in Afghan and now Joey wants the female in charge of exit to be the Ambassador to Iraq!

None of the info posted has been a secret. Your ignorance seems to be your excuse for attacking anyone who knows more.

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Joe Biden's botched Afghanistan exit is a disaster at home and abroad long in the making | CNN Politics

Your info is why few if any PJ dems reply to your ignorance
I think I shall join them, pittomg you in Ignore does no good you still troll me for my wisdom
Oh, no....you are going to be "pittomg you in Ignore" and you make fun of my spelling.

From your own link; Blinken is talking about Trump's surrender.

If Biden had breached that agreement, Blinken said: “We would have been back at war with the Taliban. And we would have been back at war, with tens of thousands of troops having to go in, because the 2,500 troops we had there and the air power would not have sufficed to deal with the situation.” Despite his defense of the administration’s preparations, Blinken did express surprise at the “hollowness” of the Afghan forces and their collapse and the swift folding of the US-backed democratic government in Kabul.

The Secretary of State made some solid points. The initial US victory in Afghanistan over al Qaeda and the Taliban for harboring Osama bin Laden’s terror group did prevent any repeat of 9/11. And Trump did intend for an even quicker withdrawal than Biden. It’s not clear if Trump put any plans in motion to secure an evacuation of US personnel, embassy staff or Afghan translators who supported two decades of US military effort when he signed an agreement with the Taliban to pull US troops out by May of this year.

Last edited:

Unlike you I've been places.Let it go.Afghanistan was a bumbling useless occupation.Thank You President Biden for ending it