• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Oregon Reverses Failed Drug Policy

Zam-Zam

Senator
Some just have to learn the hard way:

April 2 (UPI) -- Amid soaring deaths attributed to fentanyl, Oregon has reintroduced criminal penalties for drug possession.

Gov. Tina Kotek signed the law Monday, reversing the 3-year-old Measure 110, which had decriminalized small amounts of certain hard drugs like cocaine, meth and heroin. Measure 110 was approved by voters in 2020 and went into effect in 2021.

In March, Oregon's State Senate voted 21-8 to reverse it amid an crisis of overdoses driven by fentanyl. The highly addictive synthetic opioid can be 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine.

In January, local officials declared a state of emergency in downtown Portland due to overdose visits to hospital emergency departments, as well as deaths. The Portland Police Department saw a 75% increase in notifications of overdose deaths in 2023 over a year

Complete text: Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek signs law recriminalizing drug possession (msn.com)

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan

April 2 (UPI) -- Amid soaring deaths attributed to fentanyl, Oregon has reintroduced criminal penalties for drug possession.

Gov. Tina Kotek signed the law Monday, reversing the 3-year-old Measure 110, which had decriminalized small amounts of certain hard drugs like cocaine, meth and heroin. Measure 110 was approved by voters in 2020 and went into effect in 2021.

In March, Oregon's State Senate voted 21-8 to reverse it amid an crisis of overdoses driven by fentanyl. The highly addictive synthetic opioid can be 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine.

In January, local officials declared a state of emergency in downtown Portland due to overdose visits to hospital emergency departments, as well as deaths. The Portland Police Department saw a 75% increase in notifications of overdose deaths in 2023 over a year

Complete text: Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek signs law recriminalizing drug possession (msn.com)
Clearly the idea of prohibition was a massive failure. My state at least tried something different. It hasn't worked out the way we hoped it would so we'll try something different. That's what intelligent people do. Not every idea works out.

We erred on the side of freedom - allow people to choose for themselves. Fentanyl is apparently too addictive and deadly to be handled that way.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Clearly the idea of prohibition was a massive failure. My state at least tried something different. It hasn't worked out the way we hoped it would so we'll try something different. That's what intelligent people do. Not every idea works out.

We erred on the side of freedom - allow people to choose for themselves. Fentanyl is apparently too addictive and deadly to be handled that way.
It clearly did not work out. I hope other states that would consider a similar path took note.

RickWA

Snagglesooth

We have quite a lot of seasonal wildfires in Oregon and in the PNW as a whole. Not air-dropping kerosene and gasoline by the millions of gallons over our forests was a massive failure in prevention of these wildfires. Intelligent people try something different, yes? Fire up those planes and choppers. Fill the drop tanks with fuel. It’s time to try something different.

RickWA

Snagglesooth

Abject insanity. That a government supposedly charged with the sacred responsibility to look after citizen welfare and public safety decriminalizes hard drugs is the very height of irresponsibility and abdication of public trust. This policy - and others equally crazed - were part of the reason I moved my family out of there.

No sentient adult person simply rolls the bones, trial-and-error style, in the conceiving and implementing of public policy. The epidemic of crime and death unleashed on Oregonians will, of course, not be penalized. A simple “our bad, let’s reverse this” will do. Being a deranged lunatic nutcase means never having to say your sorry.

…Or be accountable.

okay - here's my heartless snark. is making it illegal again actually going to "cure" anyone from Fentanyl addiction? Will overdose deaths remain the same?

i suppose the upside is that fentanyl users from other cities won't be flocking to Oregon as a sanctuary city.

Zam-Zam

Senator
okay - here's my heartless snark. is making it illegal again actually going to "cure" anyone from Fentanyl addiction? Will overdose deaths remain the same?

i suppose the upside is that fentanyl users from other cities won't be flocking to Oregon as a sanctuary city.
What happened in Oregon was that there was a fire and the government wondered what would happen if they poured gasoline on it.

Now they know, so they've stopped with the gasoline. The fore will still be there, however.

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan

What happened in Oregon was that there was a fire and the government wondered what would happen if they poured gasoline on it.

Now they know, so they've stopped with the gasoline. The fore will still be there, however.
No what happened was that Oregon tried to learn the lesson that the US learned during prohibition. People will use whatever they want to whether it is legal or not.

Filling up the prisons with drug users doesn't work either.

We tired which is far better than the republicans ever do.

Zam-Zam

Senator
No what happened was that Oregon tried to learn the lesson that the US learned during prohibition. People will use whatever they want to whether it is legal or not.

Filling up the prisons with drug users doesn't work either.

We tired which is far better than the republicans ever do.

Trying (and failing) only makes sense if you don't try something outrageously stupid and hope it works anyway.

Which seems to be the case here.