• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Origins of the Ottoman Empire...on Netflix

As with most Americans, even those who read history, I was not taught the history of the Moslem world in any way but in relation to Western History. The Crusaders were after Arab heathens who took Jerusalem from them. Crusaders good, Saladdin bad. Queen Isabella defeated the Moors and drove them out of Iberia. Isabella good, Moors bad. Well, if you are remotely interested in history from the other side, watch this outstanding series on Netflix called Dirillis-Etugrul. It is a Turkish production with sub-titles. Once you get over that minor detail though, you will be captivated by this magnificent production and story. The acting is superb. You will be amazed at how gorgeous these Turkish actors are, wow. The story starts in Anatolia in the 1200s. The Turks are nomadic people living in clans all across the highlands of modern Turkey to the Caspian Sea. Bordered by the Byzantine Empire to the north, the Seljurk empire to the south, Egypt to the far west and Christian Jerusalem to the sea, the Turks are nomadic herders and warriors devoted to the true meaning of Islam. The main character is an absolute stud. Etugrul is the son of a clan leader and the plots revolve around him and his family and enemies. Based upon true history, this series is on Netflix through season 4.

It is safe to say that this may be one of the best historical series ever created. I checked the history of Etugrul and this series is pretty close to the true history. Etugrul unites the Turks eventually and his son becomes the founder of the Ottoman Empire that got its name from the son. I know most of us think Islam is this horribly violent and evil religion but it is not. Islam plays a central role in the series and you will get an education on it by watching this very important piece of work. Watch it. I warn you though, you may get hooked. The first season is like 70 episodes. I am in the second one now. The Mongols are on the doorstep of Anatolia.

Here is a link if you are interested.

Last edited:

Days

Commentator
As with most Americans, even those who read history, I was not taught the history of the Moslem world in any way but in relation to Western History. The Crusaders were after Arab heathens who took Jerusalem from them. Crusaders good, Saladdin bad. Queen Isabella defeated the Moors and drove them out of Iberia. Isabella good, Moors bad. Well, if you are remotely interested in history from the other side, watch this outstanding series on Netflix called Dirillis-Etugrul. It is a Turkish production with sub-titles. Once you get over that minor detail though, you will be captivated by this magnificent production and story. The acting is superb. You will be amazed at how gorgeous these Turkish actors are, wow. The story starts in Anatolia in the 1200s. The Turks are nomadic people living in clans all across the highlands of modern Turkey to the Caspian Sea. Bordered by the Byzantine Empire to the north, the Seljurk empire to the south, Egypt to the far west and Christian Jerusalem to the sea, the Turks are nomadic herders and warriors devoted to the true meaning of Islam. The main character is an absolute stud. Etugrul is the son of a clan leader and the plots revolve around him and his family and enemies. Based upon true history, this series is on Netflix through season 4.

It is safe to say that this may be one of the best historical series ever created. I checked the history of Etugrul and this series is pretty close to the true history. Etugrul unites the Turks eventually and his son becomes the founder of the Ottoman Empire that got its name from the son. I know most of us think Islam is this horribly violent and evil religion but it is not. Islam plays a central role in the series and you will get an education on it by watching this very important piece of work. Watch it. I warn you though, you may get hooked. The first season is like 70 episodes. I am in the second one now. The Mongols are on the doorstep of Anatolia.

quality production

Turks are amazing people. such spirit.

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Senator

One comment.
History needs to be taught. But at some point, maybe at all points, it must also be taught that history is written from the point of view of the writer. It is very important to know who the writer is and who he aligns with. It is also important to understand that all history accounts are biased. Every account has untruths or exaggerations to make the writer's side look good and the other side look bad.

This doesn't mean that everyone is actually good or everyone is actually bad if you remove the bias. It means that both good and bad are intermingled in every story.

I don't think it is possible to have a historical account that is totally unbiased or untouched by the writer. It is better that students and people in general know that from the start.

One comment.
History needs to be taught. But at some point, maybe at all points, it must also be taught that history is written from the point of view of the writer. It is very important to know who the writer is and who he aligns with. It is also important to understand that all history accounts are biased. Every account has untruths or exaggerations to make the writer's side look good and the other side look bad.

This doesn't mean that everyone is actually good or everyone is actually bad if you remove the bias. It means that both good and bad are intermingled in every story.

I don't think it is possible to have a historical account that is totally unbiased or untouched by the writer. It is better that students and people in general know that from the start.
Absolutely true which makes this even more interesting to me. What is important is what history telling is trying to say to the intended audience.....

Reactions: Jen
For instance, national histories are told with an intent towards framing a history to suit the desired outcomes of that nation. Historians don't always do this on purpose but it seems to be the case that a nation will sooner or later converge on a common view of history that tends to further that nations interest. We did it ourselves with stories about George and the apple tree, Abe and the log cabin, Davy Crockett at the Alamo, etc. etc. etc. When you look at Western (Christian) history in relation to Moslems, it is most definitely slanted towards making Christians the heroes, Moslems the bad guys. What do any of us really know about the Crusades that has not been enforced by legend? All the movies we all watched about various kings and warriors leaving Britain or France to fight the infidels. Not a peep about the slaughter of innocent lives in Alleppo or Antioch or Jeruselem. If you decide to watch this series, do it with an eye towards comparing the Turkish history and storyline with ours. Underneath it all is a common humanity based upon dignity, love of God/Allah, honesty, trust and family. If you watch this you may just be open to the idea that Moslems are not that different then Christians. I am completely hooked on it, watched five episodes yesterday.