• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Proof that the Electoral College is a disaster for the nation...

S

squareshot

Squareshot, the Electoral college doesn't have the power to "over rule" the people. I believe (emphasis on believe rather than know) that the electors are sworn to vote the way the majority voted. I think there has been an occasion when a renegade elector has ignored the majority.
Hi Red Cloud: I used to believe that to be true but a few years back one or more of the electoral college didn't vote the way their voters said, and their vote was counted the way the electors had voted. I'm old so my memory may be playing tricks on me but that's the way I remember it.

RedCloud

Mayor
Hi Red Cloud: I used to believe that to be true but a few years back one or more of the electoral college didn't vote the way their voters said, and their vote was counted the way the electors had voted. I'm old so my memory may be playing tricks on me but that's the way I remember it.

How!, Squareshot! You are right. I'm 80 and probably a few months/years older than you and my memory also plays tricks on me--especially where owing someone money is concerned!

EatTheRich's post #74 pretty well explains it all. I think you and I had the general rules but were fuzzy on the details.

Furthermore, I think the "winner take all" rule is wrong. I know that States rules on Electors varies, but I believe that Electors should be sworn to vote the way the popular vote went.

fairsheet

Senator
I'm not really sure if the question of how electors must vote, has really been asked and answered since we have no example of a rogue elector flipping an election outcome. Therefore - at least to this point, there really hasn't been any reason to fight about it.

S

squareshot

How!, Squareshot! You are right. I'm 80 and probably a few months/years older than you and my memory also plays tricks on me--especially where owing someone money is concerned!

EatTheRich's post #74 pretty well explains it all. I think you and I had the general rules but were fuzzy on the details.

Furthermore, I think the "winner take all" rule is wrong. I know that States rules on Electors varies, but I believe that Electors should be sworn to vote the way the popular vote went.
How, Red Cloud. Your explanation is right on. Thanks for helping me to remember. It is right for us on political jack, and Americans in general to question where we stand in the land of the free.