• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Question for Middleview (Non-Political)

RickWA

Snagglesooth
The phenomenon you speak of may well be a natural reaction to Republicans who have abandoned reasoned Conservatism for Ailes/Hannityism which has morphed into Trumpism and now and for decades must wield EVERYTHING as a political weapon. Where the hell have you been?

Are you really suggesting that these hard core Trumpists do not display religious fervor? Come on Rick......In case you haven’t noticed, here on this board there are several posters whose writing reeks of complete panic and extreme hate for anyone who dares to challenge their apparent messiah.
I know what I read. I could easily type out a dozen names of posters here who irrationally leverage all manner of inappropriate subject as political weapon. There is no question that there are far more here on the left than the right who meet that criterion...by virtue of them being far more hyper-political... but there are too many of both sorts regardless. What’s worst about this is that most folks here are either senior citizens or close to being seniors. They should have endured sufficient life experiences such that they have perspective and capacity for measured interaction. That so many do not leads me to conclude that many of the aforementioned are shut-ins who are not mentally well.

I can’t speak to who thinks a politician is a “messiah” or not. I certainly see that charge lobbed constantly. It appears to be a favored go-to. I simply know it to be in bad form to milk a pandemic for partisan points...doubly so for regular citizens who ostensibly are NOT hack politicians (whom you know I hold in profoundly low esteem).

Ugly stuff...made still uglier in presentation by humorless trolls. This forum is a bit of a distraction for me. When I opt in, it is for entertainment purposes. There could scarcely be a less reliable source for information. :)

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
The phenomenon you speak of may well be a natural reaction to Republicans who have abandoned reasoned Conservatism for Ailes/Hannityism which has morphed into Trumpism and now and for decades must wield EVERYTHING as a political weapon. Where the hell have you been?

Are you really suggesting that these hard core Trumpists do not display religious fervor? Come on Rick......In case you haven’t noticed, here on this board there are several posters whose writing reeks of complete panic and extreme hate for anyone who dares to challenge their apparent messiah.
Trump is not our Messiah, he is our president. What you view as religious-like fervor; panic and extreme hate for anyone who dares challenge him, is actually reaction to the unreasonable, ill-founded, extreme, unnecessary and unwarranted attacks from your side of the political spectrum.
Did the Left really think Trump supporters would sit quietly by while they berated the man for every word that came out of his mouth; lied about him; created false narratives about him; twisted the news and enlisted a willing Leftist media to launch a campaign to destroy him without even giving him a chance in office?
We are not going to be quiet; we are going to reelect him in November and defend him just as vehemently in his second term, if necessary.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
In my neighborhood you can go to ‘Cisco’s Bat and Lizard Cafe’ on Highway 18 between Phelan and Victorville. They are open from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM every day except Sunday. Take out and delivery only. Bat Chili, Bat Tacos, Bat-Cactus Salads, Bat Burgers, Bat Dogs and Bat Liver Pate’......
did somebody say Bat Liver Pate> yum!

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
We are down to 10 employees from our usual of 25 to 30. We have cut back hours, since we were open until 4am on weekends and 3am during the week....there are no bars open, so no bar close traffic. We do not have a drive up window, but are doing a lot of pick up and delivery. We do a lot of business though Uber Eats or a catering company. Our business is off by about 50% on some days, but still in the black.

Your acquaintance could do business through those third parties to do delivery.

We have reached out to others who can't work from home...police departments, fire departments, hospitals and we just gave dinner to the precinct near the restaurant.
That was just 15 meals, but generated a lot of good will. A restaurant owned by a friend delivered rib dinners to a fire station for about 20 guys....he put it on his facebook page and got a huge response from people who have now ordered dinners for their own local first responders. He is staying open with just two employees, down from 12, exclusively on these large orders.

PS...we didn't have to lay any employees off. All of our full timers are still with us, but the part time employees were all college students. The college is closed for the semester, so they have all gone home. Hope to hire them back in August.
I'm not sure the guy I know has the business acumen to do what you have done. I might try to find him and make some suggestions. I'm hoping he recovers because it's a really nice place to eat and really popular for breakfast, more so than for lunch.
I hope most restaurants have a similar story to yours. Hopefully this mess won't last too much longer.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
We are down to 10 employees from our usual of 25 to 30. We have cut back hours, since we were open until 4am on weekends and 3am during the week....there are no bars open, so no bar close traffic. We do not have a drive up window, but are doing a lot of pick up and delivery. We do a lot of business though Uber Eats or a catering company. Our business is off by about 50% on some days, but still in the black.

Your acquaintance could do business through those third parties to do delivery.

We have reached out to others who can't work from home...police departments, fire departments, hospitals and we just gave dinner to the precinct near the restaurant.
That was just 15 meals, but generated a lot of good will. A restaurant owned by a friend delivered rib dinners to a fire station for about 20 guys....he put it on his facebook page and got a huge response from people who have now ordered dinners for their own local first responders. He is staying open with just two employees, down from 12, exclusively on these large orders.

PS...we didn't have to lay any employees off. All of our full timers are still with us, but the part time employees were all college students. The college is closed for the semester, so they have all gone home. Hope to hire them back in August.
Thanks for that thoughtful reply to Jack's OP. Some local restaurants here are doing what you're doing and might survive without going in the hole. Sorry others here couldn't help themselves from trashing this non-political,current events post.

Jack4freedom

Governor
I know what I read. I could easily type out a dozen names of posters here who irrationally leverage all manner of inappropriate subject as political weapon. There is no question that there are far more here on the left than the right who meet that criterion...by virtue of them being far more hyper-political... but there are too many of both sorts regardless. What’s worst about this is that most folks here are either senior citizens or close to being seniors. They should have endured sufficient life experiences such that they have perspective and capacity for measured interaction. That so many do not leads me to conclude that many of the aforementioned are shut-ins who are not mentally well.

I can’t speak to who thinks a politician is a “messiah” or not. I certainly see that charge lobbed constantly. It appears to be a favored go-to. I simply know it to be in bad form to milk a pandemic for partisan points...doubly so for regular citizens who ostensibly are NOT hack politicians (whom you know I hold in profoundly low esteem).

Ugly stuff...made still uglier in presentation by humorless trolls. This forum is a bit of a distraction for me. When I opt in, it is for entertainment purposes. There could scarcely be a less reliable source for information. :)
There are plenty of humorless trolls on both sides here on PJ, that’s for sure. But to suggest that it’s only the dreaded “lefty’s” as you have tagged them is laughable on its face. If Hillary Clinton had been elected and this virus and subsequent economic crisis had occurred, do you actually think that these Trumpers would not be doing the same damn thing? if you do and think that those trolls would not be doing the same damn thing, you are highly delusional. They would be saying the same things almost word for word.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I hope you're wrong but I'm thinking you're probably right.
Yeah, many of those I eat at and it appears a trend:

Probably due to millennials

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Speaking of Texas cuisine, I am currently enjoying that critical staple known as Frito Pie. Good stuff.
Our best invention, however, is steak. Kansas City Sirloin; New York Strip Sirloin; Filly Minyon (stupid French people misspell it Filet Mignon). Then there's Wagyu and Kobe Beef, and Chateaubriand, all great Texas steaks.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
There are plenty of humorless trolls on both sides here on PJ, that’s for sure. But to suggest that it’s only the dreaded “lefty’s” as you have tagged them is laughable on its face. If Hillary Clinton had been elected and this virus and subsequent economic crisis had occurred, do you actually think that these Trumpers would not be doing the same damn thing? if you do and think that those trolls would not be doing the same damn thing, you are highly delusional. They would be saying the same things almost word for word.
I didn’t write “only”, I wrote that there are MORE of them on the left and it stands to reason. If your worldview impels you to view government as solution to so many issues, it therefore follows that you are going to be more hyper-political. If an executive of a TP manufacturer is shown to have contributed to a cause unpopular to the left, lefty is FAR more likely to adjust his tush-swabbing preferences and to organize war rooms to activate the likeminded. A conservative is more likely to think, “gee that sucks” and then go about his job. Lefty knitters can go crazy fashioning pink pu**y hats and ambling down busy streets “marching”. Few are the conservatives who would darn and don a schlong hat.
Conservatives are less political because we:
1) Have primary associations and institutions that we value much more highly than politics
2) Are far more invested in private rather than public entities
3) Relegate government to station of necessary evil rather than lamp unto our feet.

This is not to say no conservatives are political, no conservatives protest, etc. We’re just wired quite differently. My sons and daughter, when they see a throng of shrieking vagina hat-wearing protestors, ask “what’s the problem with those weird people?” And my answer to them is something like, “Their priorities and primary ‘first things’ are not ours”.
Anyway...probably too long an answer. I guess I could’ve just said that, faced with an opportunity to protest/march or do something constructive like work directly with kids coaching ball...I’d choose the latter. If a pol asked me to go door to door canvassing, I’d tell him/her to stop jawing and do the work I pay him/her to do.

Thanks for that thoughtful reply to Jack's OP. Some local restaurants here are doing what you're doing and might survive without going in the hole. Sorry others here couldn't help themselves from trashing this non-political,current events post.
You mean like when MV posted a video parody of Trump?

Because it was funny nonetheless :0)