• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Ransomware scams

John Doe

I detest liberalism
Put this here, closest subforum i could find:

Just got my first BS ransomware attempt on my new computer when clicking on the official website for Lowes of all places. The typical "this computer is infected and has been locked to protect the network" complete with alarming audio.

And you cant exit the page, all you can do is use the main power button. It was the usual "microsoft support" message with a dire warning not to ignore this message, complete with a "support" phone number for the gullible to call and the even more gullible to hand over remote control of your machine where they will encrypt and lock you out but "fix" it for a fee, usually about 300$

Dont fall for the BS, just use the power button. The best part? This incarnation said "microsoft windows" F*cking morons, i have Google chromebook

I almost fell for it the first time, a few years ago until he wanted my router password for remote access, I said, "yeah, I dont think so" and Gupta Patel from "microsoft" hung up on me. LOL

Happens about 3 times a year.

Bear Claw

President
Put this here, closest subforum i could find:

Just got my first BS ransomware attempt on my new computer when clicking on the official website for Lowes of all places. The typical "this computer is infected and has been locked to protect the network" complete with alarming audio.

And you cant exit the page, all you can do is use the main power button. It was the usual "microsoft support" message with a dire warning not to ignore this message, complete with a "support" phone number for the gullible to call and the even more gullible to hand over remote control of your machine where they will encrypt and lock you out but "fix" it for a fee, usually about 300$

Dont fall for the BS, just use the power button. The best part? This incarnation said "microsoft windows" F*cking morons, i have Google chromebook

I almost fell for it the first time, a few years ago until he wanted my router password for remote access, I said, "yeah, I dont think so" and Gupta Patel from "microsoft" hung up on me. LOL

Happens about 3 times a year.

LOL

I do exactly the same thing. Press and hold power button till PC shuts down and then restart it. Never call the phone number,

They also do a phone scam close to the same thing. I love to string the calls on and they get nothing from me.

A good tip though!

John Doe

I detest liberalism
LOL

I do exactly the same thing. Press and hold power button till PC shuts down and then restart it. Never call the phone number,

They also do a phone scam close to the same thing. I love to string the calls on and they get nothing from me.

A good tip though!
Damn, I should of called just to see how much of his/her time i could manage to waste before advising them I dont even have Windows so it would be kinda hard for "Microsoft" to "fix" my computer and tell them what a POS they are and that they should get a real job so they wont be ashamed to look in a mirror!

Bear Claw

President
Damn, I should of called just to see how much of his/her time i could manage to waste before advising them I dont even have Windows so it would be kinda hard for "Microsoft" to "fix" my computer and tell them what a POS they are and that they should get a real job so they wont be ashamed to look in a mirror!

Never call an unknown number! A lot of them now redirect your call to a 900 Number site and can bill you for hundreds of dollars you did not expect.

John Doe

I detest liberalism
The damn FBI should be all over these predatory lowlifes. I would assume the elderly are most at risk of biting.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
The damn FBI should be all over these predatory lowlifes. I would assume the elderly are most at risk of biting.
I fell for this BS years back and as you it popped up during some simple site and it said "Microsoft" and PC wouldn't let me do anything and like a fool I called and allowed the sob into my PC and at end demanded $$$$$ and I said FU and he said "suck a d*ck you will never use this PC again"...…….and couldn't until I took it to my PC guy and he couldn't break the password they installed but took it back to as if new and for $100 learned my lesson...…..

it happened again and I just unplugged it from the wall...……..later restarted and all was OK

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
off topic...……...You got any flooding...…….my daughter had water almost to her home
Some in the area but not my house or business and none of my family. Lots of scattered street flooding and power outages in the last few days.