• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Rick Santorum Said Nothing Racist At All

protectionist

Governor
In case no one has noticed, the very popular (if not most) popular tactic among Democrats these days, is race baiting (ie. the act of intentionally encouraging racism or anger about issues relating to race, often to get a political advantage). And the most popular way of doing this seems to be calling someone a "racist" (as is done a lot here in USMB).

The latest victim of this is Rick Santorum, former US Senator, and one of the recent Republican candidates for president. Santorum, hired by CNN as a contributor (after they discovered he was an anti-Trumper). He is under fire for so-called “racist” comments that critics said debased Native American culture, prompting calls for his immediate termination.

Santorum said >> We came here and created a blank slate. We birthed a nation from nothing. I mean, there was nothing here. I mean, yes, we have Native Americans, but candidly, there’s isn’t much Native American culture in American culture.”

SOME (not all) American Indian groups blew a gasket and started threatening CNN with boycotts. Fawn Sharp, president of the National Congress of American Indians, said in a statement. Televising someone with his views on Native American genocide is fundamentally no different than putting an outright Nazi on television to justify the Holocaust.” She followed up this exaggeration with this >> “Make your choice,” Do you stand with white supremacists justifying Native American genocide, or do you stand with Native Americans?”

I don't know if this tirade is inspired or instigated by Democrats, or not, but it is a bit overreaching, while also being an attack on free speech. I have seen Santorum's activities in government for many years, and I was even a supporter of him for president once, and I've never seen him say or do anything that was racist, or akin to being a white supremacist (a term popular with the left nowadays).

Although there is some Native American culture in American culture, Santorum is correct. One can travel about in the US, visit every state in America, and see art, hear music, speak language, and not encounter a single aspect of Native American culture. In my own household the only thing I own that is of native American culture is one of my guitar straps with a rather nice, colorful Native American design on it.

People in America seem to be going nuts about race, and being way too ready to flash the race card at everything that can be construed (so they think) as "racist". If Fawn Sharp ever heard some of the things I have said in this forum, et al, she would really flip out, and I contend that nothing of what I said is racist either. Just because something may be unflattering to an ethnic group, doesn't make it racist.

I once wrote that American Indians, living in a very low technological state (ex. didn't have the wheel, or solid wall buildings) could be grateful that Europeans came here. How many of them living today would trade modern conveniences like cars, indoor plumbing and climate control, TV, computers, etc, to go back to the existences of their 19th century ancestors ?

I think everyone needs to be discerning when they hear the word "racist" being tossed around as if it was a ping pong ball. Too much bad stuff is happening from the race-baiting, and this often carries over to unjust attacks on normal police procedure.

“I had no intention of minimizing or in any way devaluing Native American culture,” Santorum told the newspaper in a statement.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
In case no one has noticed, the very popular (if not most) popular tactic among Democrats these days, is race baiting (ie. the act of intentionally encouraging racism or anger about issues relating to race, often to get a political advantage). And the most popular way of doing this seems to be calling someone a "racist" (as is done a lot here in USMB).

The latest victim of this is Rick Santorum, former US Senator, and one of the recent Republican candidates for president. Santorum, hired by CNN as a contributor (after they discovered he was an anti-Trumper). He is under fire for so-called “racist” comments that critics said debased Native American culture, prompting calls for his immediate termination.

Santorum said >> We came here and created a blank slate. We birthed a nation from nothing. I mean, there was nothing here. I mean, yes, we have Native Americans, but candidly, there’s isn’t much Native American culture in American culture.”

SOME (not all) American Indian groups blew a gasket and started threatening CNN with boycotts. Fawn Sharp, president of the National Congress of American Indians, said in a statement. Televising someone with his views on Native American genocide is fundamentally no different than putting an outright Nazi on television to justify the Holocaust.” She followed up this exaggeration with this >> “Make your choice,” Do you stand with white supremacists justifying Native American genocide, or do you stand with Native Americans?”

I don't know if this tirade is inspired or instigated by Democrats, or not, but it is a bit overreaching, while also being an attack on free speech. I have seen Santorum's activities in government for many years, and I was even a supporter of him for president once, and I've never seen him say or do anything that was racist, or akin to being a white supremacist (a term popular with the left nowadays).

Although there is some Native American culture in American culture, Santorum is correct. One can travel about in the US, visit every state in America, and see art, hear music, speak language, and not encounter a single aspect of Native American culture. In my own household the only thing I own that is of native American culture is one of my guitar straps with a rather nice, colorful Native American design on it.

People in America seem to be going nuts about race, and being way too ready to flash the race card at everything that can be construed (so they think) as "racist". If Fawn Sharp ever heard some of the things I have said in this forum, et al, she would really flip out, and I contend that nothing of what I said is racist either. Just because something may be unflattering to an ethnic group, doesn't make it racist.

I once wrote that American Indians, living in a very low technological state (ex. didn't have the wheel, or solid wall buildings) could be grateful that Europeans came here. How many of them living today would trade modern conveniences like cars, indoor plumbing and climate control, TV, computers, etc, to go back to the existences of their 19th century ancestors ?

I think everyone needs to be discerning when they hear the word "racist" being tossed around as if it was a ping pong ball. Too much bad stuff is happening from the race-baiting, and this often carries over to unjust attacks on normal police procedure.

“I had no intention of minimizing or in any way devaluing Native American culture,” Santorum told the newspaper in a statement.

Yes. Classic shreiking over exaggerating