• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Senate? Senate? We don't need no stinkin Senate!

King O'bungle does it again.

President Obama used his recess appointment powers Wednesday to name a head for the controversial Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and three new members to the National Labor Relations Board — moves Republican lawmakers said amounted to an unconstitutional power grab.
The president acted just a day after the Senate held a session — breaking with at least three different precedents that said the Senate must be in recess for at least three days for the president to exercise his appointment power. Mr. Obama himself was part of two of those precedents, both during his time in the Senate and again in 2010 when one of his administration’s top constitutional lawyers made the argument for the three-day waiting period to the Supreme Court.
Mr. Obama tapped former Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray to head the CFPB, and named three others to the labor board — all of which had been stymied by congressional Republicans who said Mr. Obama is accruing too much power to himself through those two agencies.
In strikingly sharp language, Republicans said the Senate considers itself still in session for the express purpose of blocking recess appointments, and the move threatened to become a declaration of war against Congress.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/4/obama-unprecedented-recess-appointment/

fairsheet

Senator
This one was a "no brainer" for Obama. The only downside, is that it's very unlikely that the Fox/GOP is QUITE so stupid, as to challenge him on it.

NCmusicman

Governor
I have been calling Obama "Joseph Stalin's Clone" for quite some time... people should have known who Obama was before voting for him.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
How is that Senate race in NV shaping up Al? Haven't heard much about it for awhile.

fairsheet

Senator
Whine on, Wingers, Obama is pandering to his base, we all wanted those appts.
You'd be hardpressed to find any legal objective arguing that Obama wasn't on rock solid legal ground with this appointment. SO...those inclined towards Obama-hate, are left with the same argument those inclined towards Li'l George-hate were, when HE made his recess appointments. Namely...that the president's running roughshod - Nazi-like - over the "feelings" of the Senate.

The problem with that argument, is that nobody cares! In order for them to care, the appointee would have to be someone that people really really disliked. For instance, let's say that Obama nominated someone for the Surgeon General position, who was on record as being in favor of Free abortions for all!..Whether they want them or not! Of course the GOP would oppose such a nominee and of course "the people" would be upset if Obama recess-appointed her.

But...the GOP is in a big old bind, around the recess appointment of a dude who's job it is to see that the banks and Wall Streeters don't screw us.

fairsheet

Senator
Y'all are mising the point. BTW you are dems. It wasn't about the appointee...
I didn't "mise" the point at all. In fact I specifically noted that the GOP couldn't make it about the appointee, even if they wanted to. Dyed-in-the-wool Obama-haters will make this one all about "the injustice of it all", just as dyed-in-the-wool Li'l George-haters made HIS recess appoints all about the injustice of it all. And in both cases, no one in the vast in between, gives a rat's ass.

Boca

Governor
Misdemeanor, as in High Cimes and Misdemeanors. literally means "bad behavior". If the Senate changes hands Obama might want to watch his step.

fairsheet

Senator
Misdemeanor, as in High Cimes and Misdemeanors. literally means "bad behavior". If the Senate changes hands Obama might want to watch his step.
As I noted above, Obama could only DREAM that the GOP would try shouting this into a "high crime and misdemeanor". But alas...not even THIS GOP is quite THAT stupid.

Boca

Governor
As I noted above, Obama could only DREAM that the GOP would try shouting this into a "high crime and misdemeanor". But alas...not even THIS GOP is quite THAT stupid.
Would that be another dream from his father about race and inheritance? Not to worry though Sheet, there aren't enough testicles in Washington just yet.

amfh

Council Member
Ronald Reagan averaged three times as many recess appointments as Obama each year, making 243 total over his time in office.

Huskyoverlord

Council Member
This is what I hate about my party , as a card carrying republican I don't give a damn if those morons in congress want to sit around and agrue about it and the president goes ahead and does something well hoorah for him. I don't him and most likely won't vote for him unless he does something real crazy like repeal the NFA and make gay marriage legal. The president's appointments haven't been the best and he should fire and rehire , but aren't we making a mountain out of a molehill????

Don't ya just hate the constitution sometimes!?

'The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.'

According to the Congressional Research Service, President Bill Clinton made 139 recess appointments. President George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments, and as of December 8, 2011, President Barack Obama had made 28 recess appointments.[4]. Wikipedia.com

Huskyoverlord

Council Member
Don't ya just hate the constitution sometimes!?

'The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.'

According to the Congressional Research Service, President Bill Clinton made 139 recess appointments. President George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments, and as of December 8, 2011, President Barack Obama had made 28 recess appointments.[4]. Wikipedia.com
If you are new here you should relize this is NOT the place for facts or sense so take that sh^t somewhere else:) JK good post