• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Something Drastically Wrong With Our Legal System

Friday13

Governor
Whenever we have a death penalty, or summary trials, it is turned against the political opponents of the government. Sacco and Vanzetti, the Rosenbergs, Mumia Abu-Jamal. My feelings about the death penalty don't hinge on what's fair to your average everyday murderer ... it's about protecting people like this from being executed for their dissent.
I agree that there should be a death penalty, but not for political reasons. If murder and other heinous crimes can be proved, execution should be an available sentence.

Renee

Governor
One that comes to mind is Charles Manson. He is having a grand old time at our expense. And there are dozens more just like him.
One that comes to mind is Charles Manson. He is having a grand old time at our expense. And there are dozens more just like him.
Then you might consider committing a crime so you can have a blast in prison.
I work in a prison and it is a scary place where you lose all your rights.

Renee

Governor
I think it is wrong to kill someone because they killed someone. It makes us just like them. Other industrialized countries look down on this barbaric practice. Using the cost is just rationale to seek revenge

Renee

Governor
Whenever we have a death penalty, or summary trials, it is turned against the political opponents of the government. Sacco and Vanzetti, the Rosenbergs, Mumia Abu-Jamal. My feelings about the death penalty don't hinge on what's fair to your average everyday murderer ... it's about protecting people like this from being executed for their dissent.

And more so the innocents who have been murdered by the state.

Renee

Governor
You are right, and I disagree with Bo's post #11 where he says that executing a prisoner costs 2-3 times more than incarcerating one. The electric and drug costs can't be greater than a lifetime of feeding, clothing, doctoring and guarding a prisoner. How much would it have cost to execute Manson and how much has it cost to keep him for these many years?

Are you aware of the legal costs for all the appeals? I was shocked at how much it costs the state....but I don't really believe the cost has anything to do with it. Let out the low druggies and well save a lot more money

Bo-4

Senator
Bo, Renee hasn't replied but I gather that you are against the death penalty? Is that correct? Renee's "...we shouldn't have a death row." can be interpreted two ways, (1) execute them immediately, or (2) no death penalty at all. That's why I asked her to explain.
I'm opposed to the death penalty RC. It's more costly to taxpayers and it solves nothing except giving heinous criminals an easy out.

Not to mention, at least 1 or 2 of each 100 we've executed were innocent.. the Innocence Project has pretty much confirmed such.

And it puts us with a crapload of barbaric 3rd world countries.

Don't get me wrong. I cried no tears for Timmy McVeigh and others who represent the worst of the worst.

But it's time we became civilized as a country.

RedCloud

Mayor
I'm opposed to the death penalty RC. It's more costly to taxpayers and it solves nothing except giving heinous criminals an easy out.

Not to mention, at least 1 or 2 of each 100 we've executed were innocent.. the Innocence Project has pretty much confirmed such.

And it puts us with a crapload of barbaric 3rd world countries.

Don't get me wrong. I cried no tears for Timmy McVeigh and others who represent the worst of the worst.

But it's time we became civilized as a country.
To each his own. I agree with part of what you said. I think that only treason and the most heinous crimes warrant the death penalty. But once the death penalty has been imposed, I think it should be carried out in a timely manner. Just allow a certain amount of time for two appeals. Appealing until one dies of old age should not be part of our system.

Last edited:

Renee

Governor
The only thing I could accept is giving criminals the choice of prison or death,. I bet many would opt for death,

S

squareshot

No body will ever say that Manson and his bunch, got unusual, or cruel punishment. None of them deserved less than being tied over a fire ant bed, too bad the Indians didn't win in this case.

Renee

Governor
No body will ever say that Manson and his bunch, got unusual, or cruel punishment. None of them deserved less than being tied over a fire ant bed, too bad the Indians didn't win in this case.

I did not say cruel and unusual punishment. Being locked up for the rest of your life, and having no freedom is punishment enough. I understand the hate for this animal, but we are not like him.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Dissent? Abu Jamal shot Faulkner some 5 times as I recall.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Aurora theater shooting suspect James Holmes' trial will START in February according to the judge handling the case:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/28/19187522-colorado-massacre-suspect-james-holmes-to-be-restrained-during-trial?lite

What happened to our "speedy trial" in our legal system? Something is wrong with our legal system when a trial of this nature will not even start for eight months and is then estimated to take four months.

I'm all for fair trials for any accused, but I think this and other like cases are ridiculous.
Justice delayed is justice denied.

EatTheRich

President
Dissent? Abu Jamal shot Faulkner some 5 times as I recall.
Abu-Jamal was convicted by a kangaroo court in front of a notorious hanging judge who (according to a sworn affidavit by one of his own stenographers) said, "I'm gonna help them fry the nigger." The lead prosecutor later became infamous for issuing guidelines for jury selection that included overt racial discrimination. Abu-Jamal was denied his right to choose an attorney to represent him, instead being assigned one by the court over his objection, and he was denied his right to defend himself in court by being bound and gagged. Witnesses against him were in trouble with the legal system and subject to police/prosecution pressure, and several have recanted their testimony, claiming coercion. Abu-Jamal's gun was not checked, nor were his hands checked, for evidence of having recently fired a gun; and although Abu-Jamal was found with a .38 caliber and, allegedly, 5 spent shell casings, it was a .44 caliber bullet that was removed from Faulkner's body. Attempted re-enactments of the crime scene have shown that the alleged shots that missed Faulkner should've left marks on the sidewalk that were not visible in photographs of the crime scene. Witnesses have testified under oath that they told police that they saw another man shoot Faulkner, and had the police tear up the transcript of the conversation and pressure the witnesses to sign a different statement. This potentially exculpatory evidence was not made available to the defense team in Abu-Jamal's trial. The prosecutor was allowed to ask the defense witness whether she also supported other Blacks who killed police, and the defense's objection that this was prejudicial was overruled by the judge. Another man told police he killed Faulkner and passed a lie detector test, yet Abu-Jamal was not allowed to use this in court because his (court-assigned) defense team had decided to reject it. The prosecutor read at length from Abu-Jamal's on-air political statements in order to portray him as a radical.

Even if everything the prosecution says was true (and if it was, why didn't he get a real trial?), after Faulkner attacked him with deadly force, he had as much right to respond with deadly force in his own self-defense as George Zimmerman did after Trayvon Martin allegedly used deadly force in a conflict Zimmerman initiated.

Bottom line: Mumia Abu-Jamal was ambushed, framed, and put on trial for being a former Black Panther, radical radio show host; and murder was the crime they decided to convict him of.

S

squareshot

Because I believe in obeying the law. I don't think violations should go unpunished. The laws apply to all of us. And I hope that there are no innocents behind bars but I know better. But the vast majority of people in jails and prisons, have earned the right to be there

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Because I believe in obeying the law. I don't think violations should go unpunished. The laws apply to all of us. And I hope that there are no innocents behind bars but I know better. But the vast majority of people in jails and prisons, have earned the right to be there
Was it in prison where you taught Ja-Zee to Rap?

Renee

Governor

I totally agree with you.....and prison is punishment! In the women's prison i work , it is interesting that a lot of the women are there to,protect their drug dealing guys because they would get heavier sentences.

Last edited:
S

squareshot

I totally agree with you.....and prison is punishment! In the women's prison i work , it is interesting that a lot of the women are there to,protect their drug dealing guys because they would get heavier sentences.
Since you work in a prison you know that they are a necessary evil. There are a lot of bad people behind those walls. And some who have been in trouble all their life. You can see the things about prison life, that the rest of us can guess about. But the worst of them can find what God wants them to do, if they will only listen. And find time to thank Him.

Renee

Governor
Since you work in a prison you know that they are a necessary evil. There are a lot of bad people behind those walls. And some who have been in trouble all their life. You can see the things about prison life, that the rest of us can guess about. But the worst of them can find what God wants them to do, if they will only listen. And find time to thank Him.

Maybe god told them to kill?

RedCloud

Mayor
Renee, do you teach in prison?

Renee

Governor
Renee, do you teach in prison?
I do small-group workshops in prejudice. It wasn't until I volunteered in the prison that I realized the prejudice against ex-cons. They are so grateful and so interesting to work with. The best part is getting frisked when I go in lol