• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Something To Be Happy About

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
This so pisses me off. The moment Trump was elected all the doom and gloom stopped and the cons started bragging about the economy. The same people who claimed the books were cooked began praising the BLS numbers after years of denying any positive results from Obama.

This is what makes me feel no pity for them. Their basic dishonesty in more infuriating than their malice.
So post the post in PJ to prove you're not lying________________GO

If not posted you prove you're lying.

Arkady

President
This so pisses me off. The moment Trump was elected all the doom and gloom stopped and the cons started bragging about the economy. The same people who claimed the books were cooked began praising the BLS numbers after years of denying any positive results from Obama.

This is what makes me feel no pity for them. Their basic dishonesty in more infuriating than their malice.
They have no sense of shame at all. Posters who spent years working hard to try to discredit any sign of good news are now trumpeting the same kinds of numbers from the same sources, simply because they think it reflects well on their God-King Trump. Pathetic.

Still, there's at least a short-term benefit for me, personally. I'm a guy who focused on the core numbers, and so when the right-wingers were shrieking like hysterical little girls about the coming economic apocalypse Zero Hedge insisted would show up any day, I was buying stock. I figured its price was being artificially depressed by the fact the moronic half of America was being convinced on a continual basis that all good economic news was fake, which was driving them away from that kind of investing and into putting their money into guns, bunkers, gold, etc. That made it a buying opportunity.

Take this exchange as one of many examples:

https://www.politicaljack.com/threads/dollar-cost-averaging.87483/#post-1486244

It December 11, 2015. I was recommending a dollar-cost-averaging, buy-and-hold stock investment strategy. Lukey, in his customary role parroting the right-wing economic doom message, insisted ".... the future doesn't look very promising." The S&P 500 stood at 2012.37. Now it's 2365.48. By ignoring the right-wing doom message, I kept buying in at those depressed levels, with a subsequent gain of 17.5%.

Or check out this one where LanceFreeman envisions the dollar being on the verge of losing 30% of its value, as of June 23, 2014:

https://www.politicaljack.com/threads/obamas-trojan-horse.71046/#post-1102833

According to the St. Louis Fed, at the time the Dollar was valued at 76.48 relative to the major currencies index. Today it's 93.67. So, not only did it not lose 30% of its value, it gained over 22%.

These decisions were easier to make during the Obama years, because it was clear that the right-wing's irrational (and politically motivated) gloom was preserving a buying opportunity for more rational people. I'm less sure what to do now, though. Are we moving in the other direction? Is irrational exuberance among the Trumpists going to drive prices to unsustainable levels? Something like that happened in the Bush years (though more in real estate than stocks), and the reckoning was a terrible one.

Arkady

President
Pure Thread Jacking
No, as you can see, it was nothing of the sort. The top post trumpeted strong consumer confidence and asked whether everyone likes good news. My reply was EXACTLY on-point: I addressed the rising consumer confidence and answered the question about whether everyone likes good news. It was the exact opposite of thread-jacking. From what I can tell, you define "thread jacking" as someone making a reply that causes you to feel bad about yourself. That's not what it means, though.

Spamature

President
They have no sense of shame at all. Posters who spent years working hard to try to discredit any sign of good news are now trumpeting the same kinds of numbers from the same sources, simply because they think it reflects well on their God-King Trump. Pathetic.

Still, there's at least a short-term benefit for me, personally. I'm a guy who focused on the core numbers, and so when the right-wingers were shrieking like hysterical little girls about the coming economic apocalypse Zero Hedge insisted would show up any day, I was buying stock. I figured its price was being artificially depressed by the fact the moronic half of America was being convinced on a continual basis that all good economic news was fake, which was driving them away from that kind of investing and into putting their money into guns, bunkers, gold, etc. That made it a buying opportunity.

It December 11, 2015. I was recommending a dollar-cost-averaging, buy-and-hold stock investment strategy. Lukey, in his customary role parroting the right-wing economic doom message, insisted ".... the future doesn't look very promising." The S&P 500 stood at 2012.37. Now it's 2365.48. By ignoring the right-wing doom message, I kept buying in at those depressed levels, with a subsequent gain of 17.5%.

Or check out this one where LanceFreeman envisions the dollar being on the verge of losing 30% of its value, as of June 23, 2014:

According to the St. Louis Fed, at the time the Dollar was valued at 76.48 relative to the major currencies index. Today it's 93.67. So, not only did it not lose 30% of its value, it gained over 22%.

These decisions were easier to make during the Obama years, because it was clear that the right-wing's irrational (and politically motivated) gloom was preserving a buying opportunity for more rational people. I'm less sure what to do now, though. Are we moving in the other direction? Is irrational exuberance among the Trumpists going to drive prices to unsustainable levels? Something like that happened in the Bush years (though more in real estate than stocks), and the reckoning was a terrible one.
Have you noticed how those negative about the economy ZeroHedge articles suddenly disappeared. I haven't seen a single one of them in a top post for MONTHS now.

Arkady

President
Have you noticed how those negative about the economy ZeroHedge articles suddenly disappeared. I haven't seen a single one of them in a top post for MONTHS now.
I wonder how many of those who posted such material were just consciously being dishonest, versus how many were useful idiots for other people. I mean, surely some of them must have been smart enough to realize what the game was. They must have seen through the shaky propaganda of Zero Hedge, but just parroted it in the hopes of reaching people who were too dumb to know any better, right? Or were they all innocent imbeciles?

To be fair to Zero Hedge itself, it has mostly remained negative on the economy. The site seems to be run more by Permabears than to operate as an arm of the Republican party. Although they're right-wing, they seem to be committed to a fairly gloomy outlook even when gloom doesn't benefit the current regime. But the distributors of Zero Hedge's Chicken Little routine, in the right-wing blogosphere, stopped passing that stuff along once the partisan politics of it changed, and the posters here take their cues from those blogs.

Last edited:

Days

Commentator
We're not talking about "negative media." We're talking about poll results. Never in the very long history of Gallup asking these same questions of the American people, has a president this early in his term been this wildly unpopular. Many, including both Obama and Clinton, never got this low at even the worst points of their presidencies.

We're near full-employment, real family incomes are at an all-time high, the stock market is in the midst of one of the greatest bull runs in history, etc. Why wouldn't consumer confidence be high? It had reached the highest point since the first months of Bush's presidency late in Obama's term, and now it's pushed a little higher still. Until there's a sign of a slowdown, it should stay strong. This is the kind of situation good presidents leave to their successors (compare it to the nightmare Obama inherited, for some context).

Anyway, it's nice to see that the Republicans and their conservative media allies have finally stopped the 24-7 gloom festival they engaged in during the Obama years, when they relentlessly tried to convince the American people that the good results were 'fake numbers,' etc. Those efforts to talk down the economy weren't picked up by the Democrats with the changing of the guard. For example, the Democrats didn't take to the airwaves insisting the job creation numbers for February had been faked by political hacks in the BLS. And so the growing confidence we were already experiencing in the Obama years has been given a chance to accelerate. Assuming the liberals and Democrats don't fall into the same kinds of anti-American campaigns of dishonesty the conservatives and Republicans engaged in for years, we should do pretty well for a while.
Don't believe the fake polls and the fake news. 94% of Americans do not believe the mainstream media anymore, but you are a political wonk, so you still push those Lies.

You also talked up a post-election "massive devaluation" of the stock market. Of course, as we later discovered, you never moved your own market positions, so your little errand on behalf of the DNC became quite apparent. That's one of the reasons why you're a laughingstock here.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Yep. Give it a try yourself. You may find you enjoy being honest. You can never be sure unless you at least give it a try.
that's for sure something you have never tried nor will try, well, maybe by accident and admitted to being a pedophile.......

Last edited:

Spamature

President
I wonder how many of those who posted such material were just consciously being dishonest, versus how many were useful idiots for other people. I mean, surely some of them must have been smart enough to realize what the game was. They must have seen through the shaky propaganda of Zero Hedge, but just parroted it in the hopes of reaching people who were too dumb to know any better, right? Or were they all innocent imbeciles?

To be fair to Zero Hedge itself, it has mostly remained negative on the economy. The site seems to be run more by Permabears than as an arm of the Republican party. Although they're right-wing, they seem to be committed to a fairly gloomy outlook even when gloom doesn't benefit the current regime. But the distributors of Zero Hedge's Chicken Little routine, in the right-wing blogosphere, stopped passing that stuff along once the partisan politics of it changed, and the posters here take their cues from those blogs.
The fact that the daily deluge of ZeroHedge updates on the coming economic collapse has stopped tells you all you need to know about the honesty of those who waved it's red flags during the Obama admin.

Arkady

President
Don't believe the fake polls and the fake news.
I don't. As you can see, I referenced the most reputable polling organization in America, which reported these poll results directly. Of course, the bad news about Trump being wildly unpopular makes Trumpists weep openly, but their tragic emotional fragility doesn't turn it into fake news.

Last edited:

Arkady

President
You also talked up a post-election "massive devaluation" of the stock market. Of course, as we later discovered, you never moved your own market position
Yes. As I explained, I expected the devaluation to be instant -- to have occurred at the opening bell, which is usually the case with big bad news that takes place between trading sessions (e.g., Brexit). As such, there was no point trying to trade on it, since you'd be selling at the likely low, and if it over-shot you'd miss the reevaluation. It turns out the opening-bell drop was much smaller than I expected. I was picturing something like 10%. Turns out it was just 0.7%. Can't win them all..... if I could accurately predict every day's movement, I'd be the richest man in the world.

Arkady

President
admitted to being a pedophile.......
OK. Now give honesty a shot. I'll get you started:

"Yeah, I know you never admitted to being a pedophile, but I enjoy trolling people with transparently dishonest insults, so I just couldn't resist."

Try posting something forthright and true, like that, and see if it doesn't help you shed at least a little of this deep self-revulsion you've been burdened by. Good luck.

Boca

Governor
Help me out here...

Your first line says in October 2016 consumer confidence was 98.6.

You then state that from the same month...consumer confidence was at 113.7.

15.1 point gap. Explain please.

Thanks Craig my mistake. It underestimated Trump's impact. Consumer confidence actually rose 27 points in those months or 6.75 points per month which is a little over 10x the Obama rate.

I really appreciate your calling my attention to the error.

Spamature

President
Everyone likes good news, right?:

Consumer confidence jumped in March to the highest level in more than 16 years, as Americans grew increasingly upbeat about both present and future conditions, according to a report Tuesday from the New York-based Conference Board.

Key Points

• Confidence index rose to 125.6 (forecast was 114), highest since December 2000, from 116.1 in February
  • Present conditions gauge increased to 143.1, strongest since August 2001, from 134.4
  • Measure of consumer expectations for the next six months rose to 113.8, highest since September 2000, from 103.9
  • Share of those who said more jobs will be available in the coming months increased to 24.8 percent, the highest since November 1983, from 20.9 percent

Optimism for faster economic growth since the election of President Donald Trump, along with rising stocks and steady labor-market gains, have helped push consumer sentiment to fresh highs.

Complete text: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-28/u-s-consumer-confidence-rises-to-highest-since-december-2000
LOL !!!!!!!!

I remember the days right after bush. You winger were running around talking about building bunkers and growing your own crops. You promoted hording gold and buying ammunition for the coming economic apocalypse.

Through all of your years of ranting and carping he thanklessly worked to rebuild what bush destroyed. The confidence people feel today has its foundation in his exceptional leadership in a time of crisis.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
It's nice to see that the long run of economic improvement we've had over the last roughly eight years hasn't come off the rails yet. This is already the third-longest economic growth cycle in American history, and the longest (by an enormous margin) run of consecutive months of job creation. With consumer confidence high, there's every reason to think this run of good performance still has some legs.

To answer your specific question, though:

No, not everyone likes good news. Although I'm quite pleased with this good news, you merely need to go back to the Obama years to find a time when about half the country was miserable about every new piece of good economic news. I'm particularly aware of it, because I'm a pretty up-beat guy and posted about the good news frequently here, and every time I'd be met with anger and fake skepticism among the conservatives. They'd then dig down into increasingly arcane statistical minutia in an attempt to find anything depressing to say about the economy -- something like "oh, yeah, well then why did new six-month orders on durable dry-goods hit its lowest level in four years?!"

I'd like to think we've left that behind us, and come to a time when we can all celebrate America's successes. But I doubt it. I assume that the moment a Democrat is back in the White House, we'll return to a situation where good news brings misery to half the country.

By the way, I must have missed your post back in 2016, when consumer confidence jumped to its highest level since August 2001. Surely you were eager to share your joy about that despite who was president at the time, right? And right before the election, in September of 2001, when consumer confidence surged, I must have missed that post of yours, as well:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/27/consumer-confidence-for-september-reported-by-the-conference-board.html
Recovery, and consumer confidence, began improving after Trump was elected. It went into high gear, the very moment POS Obama slithered down the steps at Trump's inauguration.