• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Something To Be Happy About

Zam-Zam

Senator
Everyone likes good news, right?:

Consumer confidence jumped in March to the highest level in more than 16 years, as Americans grew increasingly upbeat about both present and future conditions, according to a report Tuesday from the New York-based Conference Board.

Key Points

• Confidence index rose to 125.6 (forecast was 114), highest since December 2000, from 116.1 in February
  • Present conditions gauge increased to 143.1, strongest since August 2001, from 134.4
  • Measure of consumer expectations for the next six months rose to 113.8, highest since September 2000, from 103.9
  • Share of those who said more jobs will be available in the coming months increased to 24.8 percent, the highest since November 1983, from 20.9 percent

Optimism for faster economic growth since the election of President Donald Trump, along with rising stocks and steady labor-market gains, have helped push consumer sentiment to fresh highs.

Complete text: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-28/u-s-consumer-confidence-rises-to-highest-since-december-2000

Consumer confidence jumped in March to the highest level in more than 16 years, as Americans grew increasingly upbeat about both present and future conditions, according to a report Tuesday from the New York-based Conference Board.

Key Points

• Confidence index rose to 125.6 (forecast was 114), highest since December 2000, from 116.1 in February
  • Present conditions gauge increased to 143.1, strongest since August 2001, from 134.4
  • Measure of consumer expectations for the next six months rose to 113.8, highest since September 2000, from 103.9
  • Share of those who said more jobs will be available in the coming months increased to 24.8 percent, the highest since November 1983, from 20.9 percent

Optimism for faster economic growth since the election of President Donald Trump, along with rising stocks and steady labor-market gains, have helped push consumer sentiment to fresh highs.

Complete text: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-28/u-s-consumer-confidence-rises-to-highest-since-december-2000

Highest level in 16+ years. That is good news. That goes back to before the dark years of the Bush and ObamaNixon administrations.

Days

Commentator
Americans like this president. The media hates him, the establishment loathes him, but Americans don't like the media or the establishment, Americans like the president.

Arkady

President

Key Points

It's nice to see that the long run of economic improvement we've had over the last roughly eight years hasn't come off the rails yet. This is already the third-longest economic growth cycle in American history, and the longest (by an enormous margin) run of consecutive months of job creation. With consumer confidence high, there's every reason to think this run of good performance still has some legs.

To answer your specific question, though:

No, not everyone likes good news. Although I'm quite pleased with this good news, you merely need to go back to the Obama years to find a time when about half the country was miserable about every new piece of good economic news. I'm particularly aware of it, because I'm a pretty up-beat guy and posted about the good news frequently here, and every time I'd be met with anger and fake skepticism among the conservatives. They'd then dig down into increasingly arcane statistical minutia in an attempt to find anything depressing to say about the economy -- something like "oh, yeah, well then why did new six-month orders on durable dry-goods hit its lowest level in four years?!"

I'd like to think we've left that behind us, and come to a time when we can all celebrate America's successes. But I doubt it. I assume that the moment a Democrat is back in the White House, we'll return to a situation where good news brings misery to half the country.

By the way, I must have missed your post back in 2016, when consumer confidence jumped to its highest level since August 2001. Surely you were eager to share your joy about that despite who was president at the time, right? And right before the election, in September of 2001, when consumer confidence surged, I must have missed that post of yours, as well:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/27/consumer-confidence-for-september-reported-by-the-conference-board.html

Last edited:

Arkady

President
Americans like this president. The media hates him, the establishment loathes him, but Americans don't like the media or the establishment, Americans like the president.
Actually, no, you have it exactly wrong. The media likes him, because he drives ratings and makes their job easy. The public, on the other hand, loathes him. He's at 35% approval right now:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx

No president has ever been this unpopular at this stage of his presidency. In all sixteen combined years of Obama and Clinton, we never saw a president this unpopular for even a day. Trump still has a way to go to match the low points of the Bushes, but he's blowing away where they were at this stage in their respective presidencies, when they were each comfortably over 50%.

Zam-Zam

Senator
It's nice to see that the long run of economic improvement we've had over the last roughly eight years hasn't come off the rails yet. This is already the third-longest economic growth cycle in American history, and the longest (by an enormous margin) run of consecutive months of job creation. With consumer confidence high, there's every reason to think this run of good performance still has some legs.

No, not everyone likes good news. Although I'm quite pleased with this good news, you merely need to go back to the Obama years to find a time when about half the country was miserable about every new piece of good economic news. I'm particularly aware of it, because I'm a pretty up-beat guy and posted about the good news frequently here, and every time I'd be met with anger and fake skepticism among the conservatives. They'd then dig down into increasingly arcane statistical minutia in an attempt to find anything depressing to say about the economy -- something like "oh, yeah, well then why did new six-month orders on durable dry-goods hit its lowest level in four years?!"

I'd like to think we've left that behind us, and come to a time when we can all celebrate America's successes. But I doubt it. I assume that the moment a Democrat is back in the White House, we'll return to a situation where good news brings misery to half the country.

By the way, I must have missed your post back in 2016, when consumer confidence jumped to its highest level since August 2001. Surely you were eager to share your joy about that despite who was president at the time, right? And right before the election, in September of 2001, when consumer confidence surged, I must have missed that post of yours, as well:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/27/consumer-confidence-for-september-reported-by-the-conference-board.html
I think we can all agree that it's good thing that Consumer Confidence is apparently higher than it was at any point during the previous administration.

Spamature

President

Key Points

Thanks Obama. You lead us through the worst recession in living memory. We have come out the other side a stronger nation with a brighter economic future than we imagined would be so in the dark days when you took the helm of our failing ship of state. None of this would have been possible without you. You were one of our great Presidents.

Arkady

President
I think we can all agree that it's good thing that Consumer Confidence is apparently higher than it was at any point during the previous administration.
Yes, I'd be surprised if anyone here denied it is a good thing that consumer confidence has continued the sharp rise begun in the Obama years. But you asked a specific question, about whether everybody likes good news, so I wanted to answer that for you. As you can see, the answer depends on who is in the White House. Just about everyone likes good news now, because conservatives like Trump and liberals like America. But was it true during the Obama years? Clearly not. You, for example, weren't happy about consumer confidence rocketing up to levels not seen since Bush's first months in office.... well, at least not happy enough to mention it. Only when good news fits your partisan worldview does it make you happy. I'm just not that way. For me, America comes first, and partisan politics second.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Yes, I'd be surprised if anyone here denied it is a good thing that consumer confidence has continued the sharp rise begun in the Obama years. But you asked a specific question, about whether everybody likes good news, so I wanted to answer that for you. As you can see, the answer depends on who is in the White House. Just about everyone likes good news now, because conservatives like Trump and liberals like America. But was it true during the Obama years? Clearly not. You, for example, weren't happy about consumer confidence rocketing up to levels not seen since Bush's first months in office.... well, at least not happy enough to mention it. Only when good news fits your partisan worldview does it make you happy. I'm just not that way. For me, America comes first, and partisan politics second.
I'm sure you believe that about yourself.

Days

Commentator
Actually, no, you have it exactly wrong. The media likes him, because he drives ratings and makes their job easy. The public, on the other hand, loathes him. He's at 35% approval right now:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx

No president has ever been this unpopular at this stage of his presidency. In all sixteen combined years of Obama and Clinton, we never saw a president this unpopular for even a day. Trump still has a way to go to match the low points of the Bushes, but he's blowing away where they were at this stage in their respective presidencies, when they were each comfortably over 50%.
Don't believe that negative media. Why is consumer confidence so high? That index follows the other sentiment; the one about feeling the nation is on the right track.

When Trump thanked Hillary for attending his inauguration luncheon, I noticed he said this about his intentions, "peace and prosperity".

Boca

Governor
Thanks Obama. You lead us through the worst recession in living memory. We have come out the other side a stronger nation with a brighter economic future than we imagined would be so in the dark days when you took the helm of our failing ship of state. None of this would have been possible without you. You were one of our great Presidents.
You like numbers so much...try these

From January, 2009 through October, 2016 consumer confidence rose from 37.7 to 98.6 or 0.65 per month

From October 2016 through February 2017 consumer confidence rose from 113.7 to 125.6 or 2.98 per month

Or 4 1/2 times more confidence in 4 months than what was generated in since the "Summer of Recovery" in 2009.

In other words the MO wasn't BO by a longshot

And that despite the handicap afforded by recalcitrant coup oriented Democrats!

Just sayin'...

Last edited:

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
You like numbers so much...try these

From January, 2009 through October, 2016 consumer confidence rose from 37.7 to 98.6 or 0.65 per month

From October 2016 through February 2017 consumer confidence rose from 113.7 to 125.6 or 2.98 per month

Or 4 1/2 times more confidence in 4 months than what was generated in since the "Summer of Recovery" in 2009.

In other words the Mo wasn't Bo's

And that despite the handicap afforded by recalcitrant coup oriented Democrats!

Just sayin'...
Help me out here...

Your first line says in October 2016 consumer confidence was 98.6.

You then state that from the same month...consumer confidence was at 113.7.

15.1 point gap. Explain please.

Arkady

President
Don't believe that negative media
We're not talking about "negative media." We're talking about poll results. Never in the very long history of Gallup asking these same questions of the American people, has a president this early in his term been this wildly unpopular. Many, including both Obama and Clinton, never got this low at even the worst points of their presidencies.

Why is consumer confidence so high?
We're near full-employment, real family incomes are at an all-time high, the stock market is in the midst of one of the greatest bull runs in history, etc. Why wouldn't consumer confidence be high? It had reached the highest point since the first months of Bush's presidency late in Obama's term, and now it's pushed a little higher still. Until there's a sign of a slowdown, it should stay strong. This is the kind of situation good presidents leave to their successors (compare it to the nightmare Obama inherited, for some context).

Anyway, it's nice to see that the Republicans and their conservative media allies have finally stopped the 24-7 gloom festival they engaged in during the Obama years, when they relentlessly tried to convince the American people that the good results were 'fake numbers,' etc. Those efforts to talk down the economy weren't picked up by the Democrats with the changing of the guard. For example, the Democrats didn't take to the airwaves insisting the job creation numbers for February had been faked by political hacks in the BLS. And so the growing confidence we were already experiencing in the Obama years has been given a chance to accelerate. Assuming the liberals and Democrats don't fall into the same kinds of anti-American campaigns of dishonesty the conservatives and Republicans engaged in for years, we should do pretty well for a while.

Last edited:

Spamature

President
We're not talking about "negative media." We're talking about poll results. Never in the very long history of Gallup asking these same questions of the American people, has a president this early in his term been this wildly unpopular. Many, including both Obama and Clinton, never got this low at even the worst points of their presidencies.

We're near full-employment, real family incomes are at an all-time high, the stock market is in the midst of one of the greatest bull runs in history, etc. Why wouldn't consumer confidence be high? It had reached the highest point since the first months of Bush's presidency late in Obama's term, and now it's pushed a little higher still. Until there's a sign of a slowdown, it should stay strong. This is the kind of situation good presidents leave to their successors (compare it to the nightmare Obama inherited, for some context).

Anyway, it's nice to see that the Republicans and their conservative media allies have finally stopped the 24-7 gloom festival they engaged in during the Obama years, when they relentlessly tried to convince the American people that the good results were 'fake numbers,' etc. Those efforts to talk down the economy weren't picked up by the Democrats with the changing of the guard. For example, the Democrats didn't take to the airwaves insisting the job creation numbers for February had been faked by political hacks in the BLS. And so the growing confidence we were already experiencing in the Obama years has been given a chance to accelerate. Assuming the liberals and Democrats don't fall into the same kinds of anti-American campaigns of dishonesty the conservatives and Republicans engaged in for years, we should do pretty well for a while.
This so pisses me off. The moment Trump was elected all the doom and gloom stopped and the cons started bragging about the economy. The same people who claimed the books were cooked began praising the BLS numbers after years of denying any positive results from Obama.

This is what makes me feel no pity for them. Their basic dishonesty in more infuriating than their malice.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

Pure Thread Jacking

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
w/$20 Trillion in debt